Add BCC or CC to all emails the forum sends

Discussion forum for Extension Writers regarding Extension Development.
Erpenator

Add BCC or CC to all emails the forum sends

Post by Erpenator »

I am trying to add an extra email address whenever the cronjobs sends out an email. We are running into several problems with sending emails and I want to better monitor what is going on. I am using phpbb 3.3.0.

I've added

Code: Select all

core.notification_message_email
to one of my existing extensions and add an CC address to the $event['addresses'] to get a CC of any email that is being sent like this:

$event['addresses'] = array_merge($event['addresses'], array('cc' => array(array('email' => '[email protected]', 'name' => 'Forum'))));
I can see that the

$event['addresses']
is giving an output that I would expect, but I never receive any emails.

array(4) {
    ["break"]=>
    bool(false)
    ["addresses"]=>
    array(2) {
      ["cc"]=>
      array(1) {
        [0]=>
        array(2) {
          ["email"]=>
          string(14) "[email protected]"
          ["name"]=>
          string(9) "Forum"
        }
      }
      ["to"]=>
      array(1) {
        [0]=>
        array(2) {
          ["email"]=>
          string(22) "[email protected]"
          ["name"]=>
          string(4) "Username"
        }
      }
    }
If I add another "to" array the email that was previously set will be mailed not the updated / changed email.

For testing purposes I've added

$this->addresses['cc'][0]['email'] = trim('[email protected]');
        $this->addresses['cc'][0]['name'] = trim('Forum');
in the constructor of functions_messenger.php (and yes, I know You are not supposed to edit the forum files, but this is just to debug) and that worked.

I can't really find out what I am doing wrong and why emails are not being sent to the CC address that I add via the extension.
rxu
Extensions Development Team

Re: Add BCC or CC to all emails the forum sends

Post by rxu »

This can happen because direct assigning to $event variable doesn't work due to overloaded vars. See https://area51.phpbb.com/docs/dev/3.3.x ... -listeners

You have to use local variable like

$addresses = $event['addresses'];
$addresses = array_merge($addresses, array('cc' => array(array('email' => '[email protected]', 'name' => 'Forum'))));
$event['addresses'] = $addresses;
Erpenator

Post by Erpenator »

Thanks for the reply. I gave your code example a try, but unfortunately that didn't resolved the problem. I am able to find if overloaded vars is causing the issues. Any ideas how to test this? Or other things I could try?
rxu
Extensions Development Team

Post by rxu »

Just checked the code. You can't change addresses via core.notification_message_email as the var passed to the event is just a copy of $this->addresses class property. See https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/0a0 ... r.php#L564

I guess you could use cc / bcc functions to add addresses if you'd find event where current messenger class Instance is passed.
Last edited by rxu on Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erpenator

Post by Erpenator »

That could explain it. I am not trying to change the addresses, but just add a CC or BCC to existing notifications that are being send by email. I saw that https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... extension/ @markdhamill is using core.modify_email_headers to add changes to the emails. But based on the name and the short description I thought it should be possible to change or at least add a CC with core.notification_message_email

Return to “Extension Writers Discussion”