Discuss: phpBB 3.3 Proteus Feature Release Published

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
vasilise21

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.3 Proteus Feature Release Published

Post by vasilise21 »

Good morning from Greece. For many days now we have been trying to upgrade from 3.2.8 to 3.3.x and just as the archives go up all over the server the page is down and does not recognize the installs. is there a corresponding problem with any other user / our server is running version 7.3 and is fully compatible
Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Name: Christian

Post by Crizzo »

Please. create a. support topic here: viewforum.php?f=661 Because there are no general issues for that matter known.
My extensions for phpBB: CDB
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de

Post by iCQ »

i love it, thanks guys!

I already installed and tested it. It is silk smooth... i have to edit some themes and mess about with the old database (i ditched cPanel so i messing with command line lol, silly me).

But soon we will be up-and-running with 3.3... its very very nice thank you team!
HayanTokki

Post by HayanTokki »

I was scrubbing through here but I either missed it or no one asked, so I apologize in advance if I missed someone addressing that.
What exactly happened with Font Awesome? It is mentioned on the updates but I'm unsure exactly what happened? I thought the plan was to not have support for FA5 because FA5 drastically changed the way FA works which then gets me to wonder what exactly changed in regards to FA in 3.3?
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Still Font Awesome 4.7.0 in use.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

I have a bug to report with 3.2.8. When I upgraded to that, all of a sudden the forum loaded much faster, which was great. However I noticed that often after submitting a post, the forum thread would load up with only the first post showing and the rest of the thread missing. I have to keep reloading the page every time that happens by pushing Control R. Still happens now too. Did anyone else report the same bug after the 3.2.8 update? If so was it fixed in this new 3.3 version? Thanks.
Galixte de EzCom
Name: Raphaël M.

Post by Galixte de EzCom »

Hi and thanks for this major update,

On this page we can read : « Easy Updating
With our brand new installer updating will be easier than ever in phpBB 3.3! Upload a single folder to your board and all your files will automatically be replaced. ».

I was surprise to read this because “One click update” feature wasn’t planed for phpBB 3.3.x & the related PR doens’t have any new commit.

I found only one clue here: « The exact mechanics of how it will work is unknown until 3.3.1 is released ».

So, how the feature “Upload a single folder to your board and all your files will automatically be replaced” works exactly?
Communau EzCom
📖 « Traductions d’extensions & styles pour phpBB 3.2.x & 3.3.x ».
📋 Lists of all extensions identified for phpBB 3.1.x & 3.2.x.
📋 Lists of all styles identified for phpBB 3.1.x & 3.2.x.
Image Tu as un forum et tu veux aussi un site web ? Regarde par ici.
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

oh! Surprise! What about deleting the vendor folder etc.?
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
@Marcin
Name: Marcin

Post by @Marcin »

Nice one guys, good job!
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

I've been localhost testing this off and on since it was released. My thinking was to wait to see if any show stopper bugs got reported and therefore wait for the phpBB 3.3.1 release that would fix them.

Congrats to the team because it doesn't appear there have been any show stopper bugs and therefore phpBB 3.3.1 is a work in progress.

So I've taken the next step and I've now got a pre-production site up and running. I followed https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade32/ to upgrade from phpBB 3.2.9. Went very smoothly and without issue.

Thanks to the development team and all involved in every aspect of this release.👍👍

Now I'm left to contemplate when to take this live on my boards. I'm inclined towards the next day or so, which would probably almost guarantee that phpBB 3.3.1 would release soon afterwards. :lol:
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

but, when 3.3.1 is released you would then have to wait for months to see if there are in show stoppers in it. and so on, and so on, and so on.

rarely are there any show stoppers in a release. that said, waiting a couple of weeks makes sense but otherwise just do it.

as long as you have backups you are never more than a couple of clicks away from a complete recovery.

luck,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:26 pm but, when 3.3.1 is released you would then have to wait for months to see if there are in show stoppers in it. and so on, and so on, and so on.
Sorry but I disagree. Almost by definition, feature releases (dot zero releases) have historically shown higher probability of containing major problems. Bugfix releases not so much, so they can and usually are implemented quickly after release to stay current.

There is also the issue of waiting for extensions and styles to be either confirmed as compatible and/or updated as required.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:26 pm as long as you have backups you are never more than a couple of clicks away from a complete recovery.
I ALWAYS HAVE BACKUPS. What can be problematic is when you upgrade, posts are made, new members join, etc. and then a major problem surfaces and you have to rollback to the backup. Anything, posts, new members, etc. between the time of the backup and decision to "recovery" is lost, therefore it isn't complete.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
david63

Post by david63 »

The main "feature" release for phpBB 3.0 is compatibility with PHP 7.4 - there are very few "features" that you would notice.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

David, might I suggest you double-check your compatibility matrix in the above post.
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

PHP 7.4 and phpBB 3.0 ... Would love to see that happen :D

Return to “phpBB Discussion”