The "Rest of your site"

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

The "Rest of your site"

Post by bubbathegimp »

I am curious as to how many users have a front page that links to their forum, and what program they used to create it..
(Other than Wordpress , weebly, or Joomla etc)

I have been trying to find a valid copy of Microsoft office 2016 to try out to replace my ancient 2007 version without luck, and been looking at programs such as printshop etc.

Any recommendations for a simple, easy to use/learn program to develop a front page?
You can see my pitiful outdated efforts using Publisher 2007 over at Cornpone.net.

I would like to find something more modern looking, and incorporates the latest standards.....
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: The "Rest of your site"

Post by Mick »

What you mean like a landing page or portal?

I’m led to believe Knowledge Base - Add a New Custom Page to phpBB is still relevant and should give you an idea how things work. Warning, steer clear of any MS software for writing code, see: Knowledge Base - Tools needed to set up and customise phpBB.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

no offense but MS office is not what you use to create a web page. even MS frontpage was pretty useless and it was designed to create web pages/sites.

all you really need is a text editor and a little time to learn how to create html/css.

however, as mentioned above you can use the phpBB extension named "pages" to do it and have it look just like your board or you can do it using the manual way listed in the KB here:
Knowledge Base - Add a New Custom Page to phpBB

another option that I have used is to find a free website template ( search, there are thousands of them around ) and use that for your main website and use the custom template's header and footer and colors etc. to create a custom phpbb style using prosilver as a base.

robert
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I didn’t mention ‘pages’ but that’s another option.
bubbathegimp

Post by bubbathegimp »

Pages runs under 3.30?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

bubbathegimp

Post by bubbathegimp »

I tried running it before I upgraded, I kept getting a route data error. I gave up on it. no matter what I tried putting in for the board http:// address I couldnt get it to work.
My board is in a subdomain, what I am shooting for is the pages for the main domain address
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I’m sure if you post in the support section for the pages extension someone will help you with that.

Did you look at the KB article I linked to? In ten minutes you can have both the php and html files uploaded and working, you can then take your time editing the html to your liking.
bubbathegimp

Post by bubbathegimp »

Mick wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:02 pm
I’m sure if you post in the support section for the pages extension someone will help you with that.

Did you look at the KB article I linked to? In ten minutes you can have both the php and html files uploaded and working, you can then take your time editing the html to your liking.
Yes, I took a look at the KB article, Thanks.
I'm not a programmer, so some of it is greek, but gives me a general idea
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Most of it’s copy and paste using a proper text editor like Notepad++, see tools list linked previously. You seem to know enough about html to produce your existing page so this should be easy. Have a play with it you can’t do any harm it’s not linked to phpBB in any way it just uses the session and style.
bubbathegimp

Post by bubbathegimp »

Mick wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:20 pm
Most of it’s copy and paste using a proper text editor like Notepad++, see tools list linked previously. You seem to know enough about html to produce your existing page so this should be easy. Have a play with it you can’t do any harm it’s not linked to phpBB in any way it just uses the session and style.
I don't really know HTML at all. Publisher 2007 did most of it. A few tips I found on the internet were added in manually using Cut & Paste in notepad when I was "Looking into: things such as meta tags,XSS protection etc, etc...Thats one of the reasons why I am interested in something more up to date as far as software, and implementing "security measures"...
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Really, you’ll never learn if you don’t have a play. One thing I will repeat though is steer clear of MS editing software or anything WYSIWYG for editing with your life, they install a massive overhead of detritus into your code and will mess your site up.
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

There are many free templates for a single site on the Internet. You only have to adjust the images and the wording.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Mick wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:42 pm
Really, you’ll never learn if you don’t have a play. One thing I will repeat though is steer clear of MS editing software or anything WYSIWYG for editing with your life, they install a massive overhead of detritus into your code and will mess your site up.
I endorse Mick's advice, though not every WYSWYG HTML editor as bad as MS offerings In My Experience.

Well worth learning the basics of HTML though In My Humble Opinion. A good halfway house is something like CoffeeCup, though Free HTML editors are available.

You can even create a 'home page' for your site that redirects automatically, after a friendly note and a few seconds delay, to your phpBB board.

Return to “General Discussion”