PhpBB vs Vbulletin vs xenforo

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: PhpBB vs Vbulletin vs xenforo

Post by warmweer »

JLA wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:11 pm Self-hosted
OK, you are hereby authorised to self-host my board any time ;)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

let's not forget all those little guys running back and forth around the world delivering the messages and the replies.
they are working their little asses off for sure.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

warmweer wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:29 pm
JLA wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:11 pm Self-hosted
OK, you are hereby authorised to self-host my board any time ;)
Since 2004 - we have absorbed into our site a few old phpbb's that decided to give up.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I joined a sports board two weeks ago that was using Xenforo. I’m biased but I found the experience ‘hard work’ for want of a better phrase. I wouldn’t use it if it was free but, as I said, I’m biased.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

JLA wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:33 pm we have absorbed into our site a few old phpbb's that decided to give up.
That's not a fair statement - he just wanted to get out of the hosting business. ;)
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
My little corner of the world, where I sometimes post things documented from my job.
GaiaBudz

Post by GaiaBudz »

Naturally I have to go with phpBB, having had experience with my fair share of phpBB and vBulletin powered forums phpBB is definitely better. I don’t know much about Xenoform, but I am sure in comparison phpBB would still be preferred for me.

Frankly, as far as I am concerned all three do the exact same thing. The available extensions or themes available personally are irrelevant, if you have the knowledge you can code your own extensions and designs your own themes. If you can’t? Then it is as easy as hiring someone to do it for you. At the end of the day, it comes to the fact that phpBB is free software, and forum software like vbulletin, ipb, and xenoform are not.

Anything they can do, in the right hands phpBB can do. So why would I spend money on licensing for forum software, that I can code myself or pay someone to code anything those paid forum software can do as a standard that my free one can’t? For convenience? I call paying for convenience being a sucker, you’re just too lazy to learn how to make those features yourself, or have someone make them for a fraction of the price it would cost to purchase that license. Buying forum software is like throwing money away when you can learn how to do everything I just went on about for free as well by just using google. That’s how I did it
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

<Small Voice>
Kunena (Joomla plugin) is also free.
</SV>

I've been going through this exercise for an existing forum that is thinking of going away from phpBB. Others considered have been Discourse (as now used by the MX5 Owners Club) as well as Xenforo (Vincent Owners Club). I'm not sure what Thumpertalk https://thumpertalk.com/forums/ uses but it's pretty impressive (it uses an AWS clone for attachments after server side image compression for example).

It depends a lot if the organisation wanting to use a forum have people sufficiently IT savvy to install, maintain and administer it.
phpBB is great if you do (kunena isn't bad either). The 'turnkey' solution offered by Discourse is superficially attractive if money is no object.

Still working on my report. The organisation relies a lot on a commercial website supplier and just volunteers for the forum (except mySQL level and server script FTP level access, which complicated things).
'And what is good, Phaedrus, And what is not good—Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?'
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

FYI Thumpertalk uses Invision Community.
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

JoshyPHP wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:22 pm FYI Thumpertalk uses Invision Community.
Thanks. The head honcho there is very helpful.
'And what is good, Phaedrus, And what is not good—Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?'
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

GaiaBudz wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:00 pm Naturally I have to go with phpBB, having had experience with my fair share of phpBB and vBulletin powered forums phpBB is definitely better. I don’t know much about Xenoform, but I am sure in comparison phpBB would still be preferred for me.

Frankly, as far as I am concerned all three do the exact same thing. The available extensions or themes available personally are irrelevant, if you have the knowledge you can code your own extensions and designs your own themes. If you can’t? Then it is as easy as hiring someone to do it for you. At the end of the day, it comes to the fact that phpBB is free software, and forum software like vbulletin, ipb, and xenoform are not.

Anything they can do, in the right hands phpBB can do. So why would I spend money on licensing for forum software, that I can code myself or pay someone to code anything those paid forum software can do as a standard that my free one can’t? For convenience? I call paying for convenience being a sucker, you’re just too lazy to learn how to make those features yourself, or have someone make them for a fraction of the price it would cost to purchase that license. Buying forum software is like throwing money away when you can learn how to do everything I just went on about for free as well by just using google. That’s how I did it
Actually there's one important thing that phpbb cannot do yet, and that is create permalink URL's with topic titles or keywords in them. Xenforo can do that, so their threads will be ranked higher than phpbb threads which only have numbers in them. I've tested this before and permalinks usually rank higher than non-permalinks for sure. It's a major factor in Google search engine ranking (SERP).

I've searched for a mod or extension on phpbb that will rewriter URLs to make them permalinks, but haven't found any. Are any in development or planned? This is definitely a major factor in SEO. Has it been discussed?

Is it possible to even create a mod or extension that will rewrite all phpbb topic URL's into permalinks with topic titles in them?
sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm »

72degrees wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:10 pm <Small Voice>
Kunena (Joomla plugin) is also free.
</SV>

I've been going through this exercise for an existing forum that is thinking of going away from phpBB. Others considered have been Discourse (as now used by the MX5 Owners Club) as well as Xenforo (Vincent Owners Club). I'm not sure what Thumpertalk https://thumpertalk.com/forums/ uses but it's pretty impressive (it uses an AWS clone for attachments after server side image compression for example).
I found myself doing a similar exercise! I was looking at invision and managed to have a good play about with it but pricing was way too much plus a 6 monthly renewal!

I just stuck to what I know
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

WWu777 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:01 am I've searched for a mod or extension on phpbb that will rewriter URLs to make them permalinks, but haven't found any. Are any in development or planned? This is definitely a major factor in SEO. Has it been discussed?

Is it possible to even create a mod or extension that will rewrite all phpbb topic URL's into permalinks with topic titles in them?
If you have an extension you would like to see, please post in the Extension Requests forum. That being said, a quick Google search came up with this, however it was created for 3.1 and 3.2. If you decided to go this route, you will need to seek support from that user at GitHub.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
My little corner of the world, where I sometimes post things documented from my job.
david63

Post by david63 »

WWu777 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:01 am Has it been discussed?
Over and over again.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

WWu777 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:01 amcreate permalink URL's with topic titles or keywords in them
I've got news for you: based on how URLs work it is possible since day 1, and it is 100% customizable. Example:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2457961&z=PhpBB+vs+Vbulletin+vs+xenforo

As you see you can add as many parameters plus their values as you want and it still takes you to the topic whose ID is provided.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
TexTHKM

Post by TexTHKM »

If you have the money for it, go for Xenforo. I built my last project with it, and it's fantastic to work with. No regrets. Tons of third party addons to chose from as well so you'll be able to customize it for your community pretty easily. Since phpBB is free, it basically has 0 market for large & extensive paid addons. Sure, phpBB has some fantastic addons, but you also have many going abandonware/never getting out of development, as they are free and developers lose interest/it doesn't pay the bills.

Since most large addons on Xenforo are paid, it can actually provide a living for the developers, which means that they are supported and continuously updated. Making sure that you have the safety of it staying up to date and working, on your forum, for years to come.

That said, phpBB is the best you can find for free (by far!), and I do enjoy working with it on my mini project I have now, where free is sufficient =)

And to be honest, it isn't a fair contest. One is making lots of money, and can invest into improving it. The other one is entirely free and made by fantastic people working together on their free time.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”