Updating database from 3.2.8 to 3.2.9 has PHP warnings

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Lady_G

Updating database from 3.2.8 to 3.2.9 has PHP warnings

Post by Lady_G »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.8
What is your board's URL? http://localhost
Who do you host your board with? -
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.8
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? English, American English language pack
Which database type/version are you using? PostgreSQL
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Update from phpBB 3.2.8.
Please describe your problem. I followed the update procedure as described in Updating 3.2.x, but update the database using the command line as php bin/phpbbcli.php --safe-mode db:migrate. The database update reports these warnings:

Code: Select all

PHP Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /var/www/html/forum/vendor/zendframework/zend-stdlib/src/ArrayObject.php on line 426
PHP Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /var/www/html/forum/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 272
PHP Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /var/www/html/forum/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 275
PHP Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /var/www/html/forum/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 281
PHP Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /var/www/html/forum/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 287
PHP Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /var/www/html/forum/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 296
PHP Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /var/www/html/forum/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 314
PHP Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /var/www/html/forum/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 319
My first attempt resulted in an Administration Control Panel warning that the update was incomplete. I then restored the version 3.8.2 source files, database, and repeated the update. The database update repeated the warnings, but the Administration Control Panel reports a successful update.

I am holding my production update to 3.2.9. until these warnings are debugged (or understand why they appear). How can these warnings be debugged?

PHP version: 7.2.27

Generated by SRT Generator
AbaddonOrmuz
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Re: Updating database from 3.2.8 to 3.2.9 has PHP warnings

Post by AbaddonOrmuz »

Are you sure you're not runnign PHP 7.3?

php --version
Because that warning is only thrown since PHP 7.3, as per the official documentation:

https://www.php.net/manual/en/control-s ... ntinue.php
7.3.0: continue within a switch that is attempting to act like a break statement for the switch will trigger an E_WARNING.
If you have multiple PHP versions installed, the executable php might be a symlink to the latest version.

I don't know which OS your test server is running on, but in mine (Arch Linux) the executable for PHP 7.2 is php72
Some of my phpBB extensions:
Image Imgur | :chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :lock: Auto-lock Topics
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user :penguin:
Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

Thank you! That is exactly what I'm doing. Since I'm not running PHP 7.3, I never thought to look in that direction.

My localhost test environment is Fedora Linux. PHP 7.3 is the default install, so I have installed PHP 7.2 as php72. The versions do indeed report as you say.

php --version
PHP 7.3.14 (cli) (built: Jan 21 2020 09:59:50) ( NTS )

php72 --version
PHP 7.2.27 (cli) (built: Jan 22 2020 07:58:15) ( NTS )
My production server php --version reports PHP 7.2.26, so it should be OK. However, I need to confirm this on my localhost test server.

I'll see if I can modify the symlinks to test this correctly (phpBB will see PHP 7.2 version reported).
P_I

Post by P_I »

You can run the CLI update on your test server using

php72 bin/phpbbcli.php --safe-mode db:migrate
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

I restored my database and implemented your suggested php72 command. That fixed the warnings. Thank you!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”