Inserting New Posts At the Top Of Existing Topics?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
CGI1984

Inserting New Posts At the Top Of Existing Topics?

Post by CGI1984 »

I was wondering if say, you have a topic with 10 posts in it already, if it would be possible to insert a new post within those 10 posts at the very top of the topic?

Thank you.
david63

Re: Inserting New Posts At the Top Of Existing Topics?

Post by david63 »

The only way that I am aware that you could do that would be by changing the date of the post and, from memory, I think that there is an extension that will do that
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

david63 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:46 am The only way that I am aware that you could do that would be by changing the date of the post and, from memory, I think that there is an extension that will do that
Change Post Time by javiexin, but it's for 3.2.
I do think making it 3.3 compatible should be easy for a seasoned extension author. hint! :mrgreen: ;)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Edit the first post and paste the text in at the top?

Trouble is each user can set if they want topics to run 'down' or 'up' the page from their own user control panel settings. So the top for you might not be the top for someone else.

The best answer extension might work?
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2368876
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

Thank you all for your replies. Some of the topics on our forum are a bit like a Pinterest board and they build up over time with topic related posts. So at times I may want to insert a first post in the topic later on (once it has a lot of posts) to explain what the topic is all about. Since the posts aren’t in any chronological order, what I have often been doing so far is removing the content from the first post and adding it again as the last post. Then I change the contributor name on the first post to my own and write what I need to write about the topic. This isn’t ideal, but it works. So, I was hoping there might be a way to insert a first post so at least the person who actually made the first post will end up as having the second post instead of the last post in the topic when I move it. Are there perhaps any ideas on how to better deal with this situation? Thank you.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

make a sticky post with your information and it will always be at the top. or make an anouncement that will always be at the top.

as has been said, your users will have the choice about how posts show up; first on top/last on top.

therefore, you will have no control over how the users see the list anyway.
I suggest you just make a sticky or announcement to solve your issue.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:07 pm make a sticky post with your information and it will always be at the top. or make an anouncement that will always be at the top.

as has been said, your users will have the choice about how posts show up; first on top/last on top.

therefore, you will have no control over how the users see the list anyway.
I suggest you just make a sticky or announcement to solve your issue.

robert
Thanks. So it is possible to add a sticky within a topic? I wasn't aware of that. I thought a sticky post means it is a topic that goes to the top of the list of topics within a forum?

An announcement is like a banner at the top of a topic, correct? I think I prefer to actually have a post within the topic though.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

CGI1984 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:51 pm Thanks. So it is possible to add a sticky within a topic?
No
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

You need an extension for that, namely post cement or the likes, where it should be possible to set the priorities on a per post basis.

I made one for topics, not posts.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

So I guess my only option for the moment really is to do what I have been doing thus far, meaning hijacking the first post in an ongoing topic, wiping it clean and inserting my message about the topic as the first post, and then reposting the person's post (that I removed) at the end of the topic, correct?
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

CGI1984 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:10 am ... So at times I may want to insert a first post in the topic later on (once it has a lot of posts) to explain what the topic is all about. ...
Why not simply add a topic description using the topic description extension instead? Et voilat. :)

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... scription/ (screenshots are from the old version the new one use a textarea)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you can choose any post in a topic and make it a sticky. however, it will only show at the top of the list on the first page of that topic.

however, you can make any post in a topic an announcement and it will be moved into the announcement box at the top of the topic list .

so, you could add a new topic with whatever message you wish and make it an announcement and it will apply in the announcement box at the top of the topic list and do what you are asking for.

rob ert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”