Which third party mail systems would you recommend?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
incredibleasia

Which third party mail systems would you recommend?

Post by incredibleasia »

I am looking for third party mail systems which sends more mails without marking them as a spam. This was the main problem until now that most of the mails are marked as a spam.
KYPREO

Re: Which third party mail systems would you recommend?

Post by KYPREO »

I don't have a particular recommendation for your needs. I use Gmail which is perfectly fine for me. My board has a lot more members than (35,000) but I only use email for transactions (activation, password reset, assistance with accounts) and notifications where users have opted in for email notifications. So I don't ever go over Gmail's limits.

However, I have researched some other services, and you may want to look into:

Amazon SES is pay as you go. The first 62,000 emails are free each month, then 10c per 1,000 emails thereafter. It seems to be the cheapest around.

Mailjet is $8 a month for 30,000 emails

Mailchamp is $9 a month for up to 500,000 emails to up to 500 contacts.

Mailgun used to be highly recommended as they had an excellent free tier, but now the it's 80c for 1,000 emails, or if you go for the paid packages, $35 a month for 50,000 emails.

Sendgrid is another but that is probably too expensive as well.

You really need to compare pricing according to your exact volume requirements.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com
AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Post by AlfredoRamos »

incredibleasia wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:20 pm I am looking for third party mail systems which sends more mails without marking them as a spam.
Pretty much any service would work, it's part of their job making sure they're not in a blacklist.
KYPREO wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:17 pm Amazon SES is pay as you go. The first 62,000 emails are free each month, then 10c per 1,000 emails thereafter. It seems to be the cheapest around.
It's free only if you're using Amazon EC2 to host your web application.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
:chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :shield: hCaptcha
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user | Linux Boards :penguin:
KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

AbaddonOrmuz wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:21 pmIt's free only if you're using Amazon EC2 to host your web application.
Thanks for the correction - yes that's right.

10c per 1,000 emails if not using Amazon EC2.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

I looked into Amazon SES and when you first sign up you can only send, not receive as they keep you in a sandbox. In order to get out of the sandbox you have to open a ticket with support. I felt it wasn't worth my time messing with it all.

There's also Namecheap's email offerings. But I never tried it with phpBB's SMTP settings. If you want blacklist control, then Mailchimp or the other one mentioned might be what you want. I use gmail myself, but I am limited to like 100 emails a month or something. Any more than that and you have to pay.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

John connor wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:49 am I use gmail myself, but I am limited to like 100 emails a month or something. Any more than that and you have to pay.
They lifted it to 500 a day: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22839?hl=en
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com
incredibleasia

Post by incredibleasia »

I made an account with Mailchimp but I can't figure out where should I add HTML code on my website. The host sent me this code and asked to add it

<script id="mcjs">!function(c,h,i,m,p){m=c.createElement(h),p=c.getElementsByTagName(h)[0],m.async=1,m.src=i,p.parentNode.insertBefore(m,p)}(document,"script","https://chimpstatic.com/mcjs-connected/ ... 81bc773.js");</script>

Maybe you can help me with it, I would really appreciate. Otherwise will try ImprovMX but I guess I will have to do similar things.
incredibleasia

Post by incredibleasia »

John connor wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:49 amThere's also Namecheap's email offerings. But I never tried it with phpBB's SMTP settings. If you want blacklist control, then Mailchimp or the other one mentioned might be what you want. I use gmail myself, but I am limited to like 100 emails a month or something. Any more than that and you have to pay.
I would like to try gmail or mailchimp but can't configure it myself as I am not familiar with these systems. Can someone help me with that. I already registered with mailchimp and I need to add a code on my site but don't know where exactly it should be.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

why are you not asking the provider that you have signed up with?

that is where you will get the best help for whatever you are trying to do .

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

incredibleasia wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:57 am I made an account with Mailchimp but I can't figure out where should I add HTML code on my website. The host sent me this code and asked to add it

<script id="mcjs">!function(c,h,i,m,p){m=c.createElement(h),p=c.getElementsByTagName(h)[0],m.async=1,m.src=i,p.parentNode.insertBefore(m,p)}(document,"script","https://chimpstatic.com/mcjs-connected/ ... 81bc773.js");</script>

Maybe you can help me with it, I would really appreciate. Otherwise will try ImprovMX but I guess I will have to do similar things.
I assume you were asked to add the code by Mailchimp in order to verify ownership of your website? Because you shouldn't need any additional code to send mail via SMTP.

If so, then usually this kind of verification code needs to be added between the <head> and </head> tags in overall_header.html in your style's template folder. Once add the code you will need to purge the cache.

If you are not comfortable doing manual code edits, then there are 2 extension that come to mind that allow you to add code to different sections of a page via the ACP:

Advertisement Management (you create an "advertisement" using the script position then use the script code as your "banner" code): https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/ads/

Custom Code (still in beta): viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2275361

To setup Gmail as your SMTP server, see here: viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2413476

In that topic, I explain how to use Gmail with a custom sender address: viewtopic.php?p=15423551#p15423551
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com
incredibleasia

Post by incredibleasia »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:54 pm why are you not asking the provider that you have signed up with?

that is where you will get the best help for whatever you are trying to do .

robert
I asked first the host to help me and they told me to put this code and I am not familiar with this that's why didn't do it yet. My host can't help me with ImprovMX and I can't even contact Mailchimp as they don;t provide any support for free accounts.
incredibleasia

Post by incredibleasia »

KYPREO wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:19 pmI assume you were asked to add the code by Mailchimp in order to verify ownership of your website? Because you shouldn't need any additional code to send mail via SMTP.

If so, then usually this kind of verification code needs to be added between the <head> and </head> tags in overall_header.html in your style's template folder. Once add the code you will need to purge the cache.
There are quite a few files with the same name, which one should I check and enter the code?
KYPREO wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:19 pmTo setup Gmail as your SMTP server, see here: viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2413476
Is it the same as ImprovMX + Gmail?
incredibleasia

Post by incredibleasia »

KYPREO wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:19 pmIf so, then usually this kind of verification code needs to be added between the <head> and </head> tags in overall_header.html in your style's template folder. Once add the code you will need to purge the cache.
I checked this file and there is no <head> and </head> at all so not sure where should I add this code.
cronos42
Name: Richard Karsmakers

Post by cronos42 »

KYPREO wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:17 pm I don't have a particular recommendation for your needs. I use Gmail which is perfectly fine for me. My board has a lot more members than (35,000) but I only use email for transactions (activation, password reset, assistance with accounts) and notifications where users have opted in for email notifications. So I don't ever go over Gmail's limits.
Do you ever find out if mails don't get sent, or are you dependent on users actually complaining to you when they miss them?

Return to “phpBB Discussion”