The Coronavirus Topic

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by Tastenplayer »

Quarantined Italians sing together from balconies

In Naples (CBS News)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NySV_U_voc

Coronavirus: quarantined Italians sing from balconies to lift spirits (the Guardian News)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q734VN0N7hw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl-xBmn3mGMEven dogs bark with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vypYcGkTzU

The Italian opera singer Maurizio Marchini sings on the balcony in Florence for People. Serenading to his people to bring the people’s spirits up. He sings his heart out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhTjGS3QkYE

Heartwarming Applause for Spanish Docto ... own Begins (On Demand News)
People in Spain expressed their appreciation for the country's doctors and nurses on Saturday night to thank them for their efforts in battling the novel coronavirus.
The same was done in Greece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfI1b_zcX2w

Coronavirus survivor reveals what it's like to have Covid-19(Channel 4 News)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9oqvJ3iXGI
Connor Reed, a British man who works at a school in Wuhan, explains how it felt to have the Covid-19 coronavirus, discusses what life is like after 40 days in lockdown and how he thinks people in the UK would cope in similar circumstances.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Something everyone should watch. Especially investors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CRxyHU9Oxo
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Post by bubbathegimp »

The Corona Virus has really hit India Hard. Not one call today about my car's extended warranty...
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

bubbathegimp wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:41 am
The Corona Virus has really hit India Hard. Not one call today about my car's extended warranty...
That's subtle. :lol:

Germany is now advising people in the Corona-crisis to stock up on cheese and sausages. This is called the Wurst Käse scenario.
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

Fun or no fun, it has passed me by thoroughly.

From Wednesday on certain medicines are rationed in Switzerland for 6 months.

On Monday I fetched some medicine and forgot the medicine for my back and migraine headaches. On Tuesday I felt too bad. Yesterday I read on the net that from now on only 1 pack of antipyretic medication may be given. Unfortunately my medicine belongs there also to it although for something completely different.
On Mondays I would have received 3 more packs. Now only 1 package for 6 months. 20 tablets that last 10 days.

Today I phoned the doctor and ordered at least 1 pack of all the medicines I needed. Because of the ibuprofen-containing medicine I asked if there is at least one bigger pack when you can only get 1 pack. She told me that doctors should not give this medicine at all. Substitute product. I told her that I am allergic to most of the medicines. Now the good lady must first ask the doctor if she can give me a pack of 20 pills.
One thinks of many things, but unfortunately not so far. Especially if you are currently experiencing bearable pain and no migraines. I mean one lives in Switzerland and therefore at the source.

I strongly advise people from Switzerland:
Go to your doctor or pharmacy and get a pack of painkillers / antipyretics. Otherwise it could happen that you will have to do without medication in case of severe pain! And this for the next 6 months! Presumably now the still freely available pain killers and fever reducers are hoarded!
My normally dispensed Ibuprofen medicine is already out of stock, cannot be delivered.
(It would not be the first time that an important medicament is not available in Switzerland. This is what happened to my long-term thyroid hyperthyroidism medication a few months ago. She wanted to give my husband an alternative medicine. But clearly, with a long term medication that has to be well adjusted, an alternative is not the optimal solution. I phoned all the pharmacies in the area until I found one that still had the same product in stock.)
In an extraordinary session on Wednesday, the Federal Council decided to ration certain medicines for six months due to hamster purchases in the wake of the corona crisis. Only one pack may be sold per customer and purchase. This applies to medicines for pain, fever and inflammation as well as strong cough medicine. The rationing list includes the active ingredients ibuprofen, paracetamol, metamizole and acetylsalicylic acid. Penicillin is on the blacklist.
Probably other medicines will also become unavailable over time, since all these companies are now busy developing medicines and vaccines for the corona virus.
warmweer wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:53 am
Germany is now advising people in the Corona-crisis to stock up on cheese and sausages. This is called the Wurst Käse scenario.
Bad luck for him who can't eat sausages! Am I just going to sit on cheese? :(
But Merkel spoke on TV and I definitely did not hear anything about sausage and cheese. On the contrary, she advised against buying hamsters - there would be plenty of everything in stock. But maybe it's the same cheese they're telling in Germany and it happens like in Switzerland with the medecines. :mrgreen: In her 14 years in government, it was the first time that she had spoken directly and for so long to the citizens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgC2TzvIRY8 (Sorry, but Merkel speaks logically to the Germans in the national language.)
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

Google Doodle reminds you to wash your hands
Today Friday's Google Doodle honours Hungarian doctor Ignaz Semmelweis and draws attention to the importance of washing your hands.

Google honours the Hungarian doctor Ignaz Semmelweis with a Doodle.
200 years ago he had already advocated better hand hygiene in hospitals.

Semmelweis was born on 1 July 1818 in Budapest, Hungary. He received his doctorate from the University of Vienna. In 1847 Semmelweis was appointed Chief Resident in the Maternity Clinic of the Vienna General Hospital, as can be read on the Google website.
Google Doodle honours Semmelweis

There, a mysterious infection known as "cot fever" led to high mortality rates among young mothers in maternity wards.

Semmelweis devoted himself to finding the cause. He came to the conclusion that doctors were passing on infectious material from previous operations to mothers through their hands. He demanded that all medical staff wash their hands between patient examinations. As a result, the infection rates in his department dropped.
Colleagues were skeptical

Many of his colleagues initially viewed his ideas with scepticism. Decades later, his hygienic recommendations were confirmed by the widespread acceptance of the "germ theory of disease".

That's why today, in his honour and in view of the Corona crisis, Google is showing on its website how to wash your hands properly.
Nau.ch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8OX0FNWANM
00.15: Trains from Germany to Switzerland only go as far as Basel. Following the introduction of border controls in the fight against the coronavirus, German rail travellers to Switzerland must expect greater restrictions.

As Deutsche Bahn announced on Thursday, long-distance trains will end prematurely at Basel Badischer Bahnhof station. This affects the connections from Berlin to Interlaken Ost, from Kiel/Hamburg to Chur, and from Dortmund to Basel SBB. Regional traffic is also affected.

23.26: German customs apparently confiscated protective masks and clothing intended for Switzerland.

According to the "Rheinische Post", the customs authority in Jünchen (D) has confiscated breathing masks and other protective clothing from the US company 3M. These were apparently to be exported illegally to Switzerland and the USA.

A spokeswoman for the 3M Group confirmed to the newspaper: "The Mönchengladbach customs authority today checked a consignment of goods registered for export to Switzerland on the premises of our European distribution centre in Jüchen.

About two weeks ago, Germany had already stopped several trucks that wanted to deliver material, including 2,400 protective masks, to Switzerland.

22:00: Baselland Tourism, Gastro Baselland and the Chamber of Commerce call for a major solidarity action in favour of the catering industry. A voucher for a carton of beer can be purchased for the symbolic price of 100 francs. Hence the name of the project: "E Stange Geld für mini Beiz" (A pile of money for my pub.).

21:47: The Fielmann chain of opticians will temporarily close its shops in Germany and Switzerland from Friday to help contain the epidemic.

20:30: Fever is one of the symptoms of the coronavirus. This is another reason why thermometers seem to be in greater demand than ever before. The demand has increased massively since the outbreak, writes René Jenny, president of Pharmalog, on request.

Pharmalog is the association of Swiss wholesalers who supply pharmacies. According to Jenny, fever meters were even sold out this morning at the pharmaceutical wholesalers. The products are currently in great demand not only in pharmacies, but also by online retailers.

Both Microspot, Brack.ch and Digitec Galaxus confirm an increase in thermometer sales. Brack.ch spokesman Daniel Rei speaks of a massive increase since the end of February.

Galaxus is currently selling more clinical thermometers than ever before: "Since the beginning of the year, we have already sold more clinical thermometers than in the whole of 2019," explains media spokesperson Alex Hämmerli when asked. The number of clinical thermometers sold is in the five-digit range.

"Although March is not yet over, we are already posting a sales record - and by a wide margin. Galaxus has sold six times as many fever meters in the current month as in the entire month of March 2019.
nau.ch https://www.nau.ch/news/schweiz/coronav ... n-65681529 all translated with Deepl.com
Last edited by Tastenplayer on Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Post by bubbathegimp »

First virus case confirmed today here in town.
Cheese is a good idea. It will cut down the need for paper products..
Maybe the Bidet will become popular....
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

I find this solidarity idea the hit!
22:00: Baselland Tourism, Gastro Baselland and the Chamber of Commerce call for a major solidarity action in favour of the catering industry. A voucher for a carton of beer can be purchased for the symbolic price of 100 francs. Hence the name of the project: "E Stange Geld für mini Beiz" (A pile of money for my pub.).
Small businesses in the catering industry will not be able to easily recover the lost turnover. Some people go to their "Stammbeiz" almost daily. For many single people in the countryside it is, together with the village shop, the only possibility to get among people. Especially for older ones.
bubbathegimp wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:56 am
Maybe the Bidet will become popular....
That's just about it! In many new buildings in Switzerland you will find a bidet in the bathroom in the apartments again.
bubbathegimp wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:56 am
First virus case confirmed today here in town.
This is also a bureaucratic problem, for example in Switzerland (I read today):
- Doctors have to report newly infected people by fax, not by e-mail, or by other electronic ways.
- The fax has to be printed out, filled out/edited by hand.
- Then it is faxed to Bern. Where it will be further processed.
That's why:
The number of corona cases in Switzerland reported by the Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) is always the status quo of previous days.
The reason for this is the costly and lengthy procedure of reporting new infections.

I strongly suspect that in many other countries the process is also extremely slow because of the extremely complicated reporting procedures.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Fax?? Can you still get those? Oh, hang on a mo, I’ve just looked at my printer and that has one built in, how novel.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Mick wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:57 am
Fax?? Can you still get those? Oh, hang on a mo, I’ve just looked at my printer and that has one built in, how novel.
Yes that still works, but by next week we'll be using telegrams, and I'm now learning Morse just in case. I should probably also learn how to carve. :lol:
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

This shure happens because of data protection via fax. But is the fax really absolutely secure?
I think one could turn a blind eye to such a serious pandemic and use the computer and the internet to transmit the data of the infected people.
There is also no guarantee that a fax will actually reach the recipient. Despite confirmation for me.
Somehow you can exaggerate everything in terms of data protection. In my opinion, up-to-date data would be more useful than this paperwork.
david63

Post by david63 »

Tastenplayer wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:20 pm
But is the fax really absolutely secure?
It uses the telephone line - so not it is not.

Arguably a fax is less secure than a computer from a data protection perspective as anyone walking past the fax machine can look at a fax whereas only the person(s) able to log in to the computer can see that data.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I can teach you morse code up to 25 wpm.

Apart from faxes being insecure, the whole fax thing is crap in 2020.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

You can send faxes via a smartphone APP. The white house has a fax line and I'm sure all of congressmen have one, too. I acctully called the white house once with my burner phone. The operator picked up and I just said to tell the president he was doing a good job.

Tried to get my ham ticket back in high school but failed from studying an old book. Never tried again, though I'm still into radio, preferably scanners and I monitor my scanner via a laptop here on the desk that records 24/7.

Morse requires electricity. Better learn smoke signals instead. LOL!

And a fax can be secure if you learn how to use a one time pad and never EVER reuse the key. One key per message. It's uncrackable. Not even the NSA can crack it and as I type this several countries including Cuba send out one time messages via short wave to spies in the field even today. They are called numbers stations.

Song for the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9zoq3k-3K0
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Surprised he didn't make you part of the space force. Flattery makes anyone qualified for anything at the WH apparently.

Return to “General Discussion”