Quick Questions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
ChinaGal

Quick Questions

Post by ChinaGal »

Hi - I just have a couple of quick questions today please.

1 - Is there a way to ban certain email addresses from sending repeated spam mails using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the site page in 3.3.0? - It seems bans on email addresses only prevent users from registering or logging in, but do not reject their spam emails.

2 - In the search results, is there a way to increase the number of search results per page? It seems to default to 5, but we would like to be able to increase that to 10. We didn't see any settings for this in ACP under the search settings.

Thank you.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Quick Questions

Post by Mick »

1- Most people turn that off for the problems you mention but I think there was talk of an extension(s) to add a CAPTCHA or similar ways round it, this being one.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

Thanks, but I’m not sure I understand what this actually does? Is it just making the Contact us link more obscure to spam bots?

In our case I’m thinking some of the spam is human spam so obscuring it isn’t going to help so much. It would also render a captcha pretty useless. The only way to prevent some of these repeat offenders is to ban their email address.

On standard websites where we were getting this kind of spam in the past we created what looked like an auto response sent by a “no-reply” email address to spoof the spammers into thinking their spam mail was flagged automatically by the system as spam.

So we would send them the auto reply email manually which said something like their email violated the general terms of service of the website and was automatically deleted by the system without ever being read by a human.

This of course wasn’t true, and the no-reply addresses was an actual working email address, but it worked almost 100% of the time and the spammers never wrote again. It just takes a bit of manual effort though.
eeji
Jr. Style Validator

Post by eeji »

The extension linked above is very good, I was getting a ridiculous amount of spam before I added it, now there is none.
It uses javascript to construct a mailto link which the bots are unable to parse and use.
My phpBB styles: phpbbstyles.oo.gd
My board: iansvivarium.com
ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

Thanks. I will put it in. I guess it can't hurt to try it.

By the way, I took it a step further and just create spam filter rules at the server level to automatically discard mails for all the spammers that have contacted us so far. So their mails wont even reach our box anymore. But this of course doesn't prevent new spammers from hitting us.

So I will give the extension a try. Thanks again.

UPDATE:

I put it in and I see that it initiates a new email in the sender's mail client and no longer uses the site's contact form. I think I liked the use of the contact form better so that the sender never gets hold of your actual email address.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”