[Split] Upgrading/Updating and extensions

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Cubguy501

Re: Upgrading/Updating and extensions

Post by Cubguy501 »

I use filezilla and thats how i delete and upload my files.... phpbb3.3 has like 4k files.... filezilla could delete them all in prob 20 min i would say. 30 tops.
Not sure what all this "hours" is

Also i backed up my complete forum in january with filezilla... something in the nature of 27k files and about 18 GB. download took about 3.5 hours.
Cubguy501

Post by Cubguy501 »

WWu777 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:46 pm Update:

It looks like some of my extensions are not phpbb 3.3 compatible, and no updates are available. Does that mean I will have to jettison it or look for a new extension that does the same thing? Like this Ajax Shoutbox for instance.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... x_shoutbox

It does not appear to be compatible with 3.3.

I also found this extension by David63 that checks whether extensions are 3.3 compatible and tries to fix them if not.

viewtopic.php?t=2528456

Will that fix all the extensions that aren't compatible? If so how do I run it?
There are a few other chat systems out there, doesnt look like that one has been updated in awhile.
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

Btw, this might sound like a dumb question, but why are these upgrades and updates necessary? Why can't they just stick with a stable version and live happily ever after with it? Just like, why can't Microsoft stick with a stable Windows version like XP or 7, and live happily ever after with it? Why create trouble for yourself and everyone with all these new updates and upgrades that never end? Don't you wish life could just be like that? Find something that works and live happily ever after with it. In a non-competitive world, that's probably how it would be.
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Cubguy501 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:10 am I use filezilla and thats how i delete and upload my files.... phpbb3.3 has like 4k files.... filezilla could delete them all in prob 20 min i would say. 30 tops.
Not sure what all this "hours" is
Depends on your connection speed. But if you want to mass-delete files it really is much simpler and faster to use the cPanel file manager (or Plesk or whatever your host provides).
Also i backed up my complete forum in january with filezilla... something in the nature of 27k files and about 18 GB. download took about 3.5 hours.
Tarball it first and it'll download one hell of a lot quicker. If one tarball is too big to be handy, you can always do it a directory at a time.
🇺🇦 Слава Україні! 🇺🇦 Героям слава! 🇺🇦
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

WWu777 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:57 am Btw, this might sound like a dumb question, but why are these upgrades and updates necessary? Why can't they just stick with a stable version and live happily ever after with it? Just like, why can't Microsoft stick with a stable Windows version like XP or 7, and live happily ever after with it? Why create trouble for yourself and everyone with all these new updates and upgrades that never end? Don't you wish life could just be like that? Find something that works and live happily ever after with it. In a non-competitive world, that's probably how it would be.
It's not practical to stick with the one version forever. There are a range of reasons for this (including hackers getting sneakier) but the short version is that stuff keeps changing, and past a certain point you will end up having to rebuild so much old stuff that you end up with a new version whether you like it or not.

So no, you cannot get rid of upgrades and updates entirely. I'm not sure you should want to either, or you'd still be using DOS on a 386 with a 640x480 monitor.
🇺🇦 Слава Україні! 🇺🇦 Героям слава! 🇺🇦
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

WWu777 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:46 pm<snip>

I also found this extension by David63 that checks whether extensions are 3.3 compatible and tries to fix them if not.

viewtopic.php?t=2528456

Will that fix all the extensions that aren't compatible? If so how do I run it?
It will not fix ALL errors and support for it must be asked in its own topic.

Also may I please remind you of the six hour bumping rule. Thank you
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

WWu777 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:46 pm<snip>
I'm not sure actually whether david63 intended to include this (unexpected) feature in the extension but it's good to know that there is at least 1 alert user who realises the full potential of this extension.
david63 should update the README though ;)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

WWu777 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:57 am Btw, this might sound like a dumb question, but why are these upgrades and updates necessary? Why can't they just stick with a stable version and live happily ever after with it? Just like, why can't Microsoft stick with a stable Windows version like XP or 7, and live happily ever after with it? Why create trouble for yourself and everyone with all these new updates and upgrades that never end? Don't you wish life could just be like that? Find something that works and live happily ever after with it. In a non-competitive world, that's probably how it would be.
This is flawed argument since Windows gets update regularly. Those systems you listed had thousands of updates in their life cycle. You may thing it's all Windows 7 but in reality it's Windows 7 ver.xxxxxxxx https://www.wikihow.com/Check-Your-Windows-Version
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: [Split] Upgrading/Updating and extensions

Post by Mick »

Don’t forget there are other things involved as well as phpBB as you’ve seen over these three long pages. PHP has to move with the times as does MySQL and Apache not to mention the vendor software phpBB uses and then there’s hardware and firmware. There are exploits to deal with and options people want, it’s a tough old job running a board, you have to suck it up.

And if it weren’t down to MS’s diligence over the years you’d still be dual booting windows from 5¼" floppies.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
david63

Post by david63 »

Mick wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:41 am you’d still be dual booting windows from 5¼" floppies.
Ah - those were the days :lol: :lol: :lol:
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

there are some of us that remember the 8" floppies for DOS before that. hard drives were as big as a coffee table and only had maybe, a few MB of space.

actually, the good old days were when we had spiral bound notebooks and a pencil and no corona virus.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:35 pm actually, the good old days were when we had spiral bound notebooks and a pencil and no corona virus.
And powercuts were never a problem. All you needed was a sharpener and you'ld be good for another couple of hours.
;)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
david63

Post by david63 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:35 pm actually, the good old days were when we had spiral bound notebooks and a pencil and no corona
No - the "good old days" where when you had a slate and chalk :lol: :lol: :lol:
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

heavy rock and a stone chisel
index.jpg
index.jpg (3.79 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

david63 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:57 am
Mick wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:41 am you’d still be dual booting windows from 5¼" floppies.
Ah - those were the days :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's nothing folks. Do any of you remember the Commodore Vic 20? It came out before the Commodore 64 even. It had a big long drive where you inserted a cassette tape, attached it to the console, and played the cassette tape for 20 or 25 min to load up a game. Took forever. But when the game loaded it looked so neat and cool. lol. That was probably like 1980 or 81. lol

Do any of you remember when the first Apple IIe came out? It looked so cool and lovely with the beautiful green text and graphics on black background. It was so easy on the eyes (that's why I usually install a dark forum theme too) and looked so lovely. It was the coolest thing. Those were the good old days. ;)

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”