The Coronavirus Topic

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: The Coronavirus Topic

Post by warmweer »

Coronavirus breakthrough: dexamethasone is first drug shown to save lives
In a large trial, a cheap and widely available steroid cut deaths by one-third among patients critically ill with COVID-19
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01824-5

Just to be clear: it's NOT a prophylactic!
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

warmweer wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:12 pm ...

Adjective or noun? :?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

3Di wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:47 pm
warmweer wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:12 pm ...

Adjective or noun? :?
Something is a prophylactic >>> used a a noun
Something is prophylactic >>> used as an adjective
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Exactly, so I understand we don't have to wear it. Is that correct?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

3Di wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:39 pm Exactly, so I understand we don't have to wear it. Is that correct?
By the time you need it, you'll be wearing a ventilator mask and will be fed intravenously.
Donald might be taking it already, but I suspect he's already on steroids.
Ironically, the strange thing about dexomethasone is that one of the contraindications is an acute viral infection.

Added: perhaps I should explain in a simple way why this shouldn't be used prophylactic (and no doctor will prescribe it as a prophylactic ).
It actively reduces the body's immune response and thus open the gate for viral infections. Interestingly, some infected patients needing ventilation have a hyperactive immune reaction (a bad thing- using Donald's terminology) which is detrimental : so containing that immune reaction gone amok can give the body that extra time to react properly.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

I know the article and everything else, I see you missed the ironic side. It doesn't matter.
And no, no need to explain but thanks anyway. ;)
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Post by bubbathegimp »

I dont use them.
They can cause all kinds of problems, including severe aggression, and shrunken testicles.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

That's what I was referring to :) I have to disagree with your above opinions though.

prophylactic - noun, masculine -> condom
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Post by bubbathegimp »

3Di wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:46 am That's what I was referring to :) I have to disagree with your above opinions though.

prophylactic - noun, masculine -> condom
https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/ ... 0secondary

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications ... 20atrophy).
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Okay, I take it for granted that your answer above was not related to the thread of the discussion but still inherent.
That's the evil of having a flat argument instead of a threaded one, since we haven't quoted anything before.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

3Di wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:34 am I know the article and everything else, I see you missed the ironic side. It doesn't matter.
And no, no need to explain but thanks anyway. ;)
I did notice the ironic side and in face to face communication this could turn into fun wordplay but considering the way communication works and the clarity needed concerning corona information, (especially with regards to medication) I decided not to follow up on the "wearing" aspect.

https://www.lexico.com/definition/prophylactic

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... ophylactic

On a side note, practising social distancing effectively eliminates the need for that kind of prophylactic anyway ;)
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Okay, I take it for granted also your answer above. Hmm.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

3Di wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:30 am Okay, I take it for granted also your answer above. Hmm.
Si! :lol:
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

I've never had any doubts. :P
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Something that "GIANCARLO DOTTO" wants to communicate to us, has a sense of deep poetry and melancholic irony in my opinion, at least it faithfully reflects the moment that the world is living. I'll translate it for you.

Please read and try to get the deep sense of that, thank you. And have faith.
Who are you? I don't recognize you anymore. What did they do to you? Nothing and nobody protects you anymore? You got out of your cages, fatter and more fragile, but you never got out. Run from those who look like you. Beware of your shadow.

Deformed by fear, breathe in your fear. In and out your masks. Sad animals. Lizards with severed tails. Chickens decapitated. Sheep without the male. You do crazy pirouettes to dodge your ghost. Allergic to the sweat of the woman you love. Demented silhouette. Cloistered dinner parties. Closed for failure.

Moving as they are, as frightened. Irritating as they are scared. You look like cripples who missed the last train to Lourdes. Hallucinated silhouettes who can only look at the tip of their own shoes. Woody as masterless puppets.

Clumsy as lepers in tuxedos at a party no one invited you to. Dancing's not gonna happen. The healthiest has the mange. Stuttering in the gesture, even before the word. Infected in the mind. Fatherless idiots. And without a country.

From your carcasses tremebonde only epileptic tics. You're getting out of the way. You deny yourselves. You scare your dogs as well as sparrows. Your cats don't recognize you anymore. They smell the bad smell of your uncertain steps. Look for distances and find only the crowd of your insane thoughts. The amplified heartbeats of your heartbeat. And your shame. To feel so helpless.

You don't know whether to hug or hate each other. Puddings and stumps. You've hatched bigger things than you. Unable to understand or want, you have lost your compass and forgotten the alphabet. Trip over your own kind. You don't know whether to shake hands or arm, punch or heel. You came out of the cages of sadness and ended up in the basements of fear. The same pajamas. Same knot in the throat. Back as children, inside big underpants and huge fears.

You scare me.

You have no choice, let yourself be loved.

Or, better to die.
Original with pictures (Italian language):
https://www.dagospia.com/rubrica-29/cro ... 239642.htm

Return to “General Discussion”