About avatars, nicknames, moods and those who “jump on the bandwagon”. 🤔

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

I personally disapprove and if I can avoid them those characters on the web, in quotes, who often change avatars or nicknames or who, by changing their avatar try to convey to us their mood for which there should be another tool or use their signature ... also to let us know who they were before.

This is much appreciated and does not lead to confusion. It's like dealing with people who don't have a real stability outside the web therefore you can't rely on them, even if it's virtual. I understand changing your avatar for some festive/special occasions, that's not a problem if not so evident.

Not to mention those who sign up here with a nickname, then on IRC with another one then on Discord with another one and then finally land on your board thinking they are safe.

From what? :lol: :P

And believe me I know a lot of them here. :geek: ;)

The avatar is an image chosen to represent its users in communities, places of aggregation, discussion, or online gaming.
Even better all around the web like a gravatar is.
The word, which is in Sanskrit language, comes from the Hindu tradition, in which it has the meaning of incarnation, of assumption of a physical body by a god: by metaphorical translation, in internet jargon we mean that a real person who chooses to show himself to others, does so through his own representation, an incarnation: an avatar. This image, which can vary in theme and size (usually established in advance by community regulations), can depict a fictional character (e.g. a cartoon, a comic strip), reality (e.g. one's favorite singer or actor, or even one's own image), or even more varied themes, such as comic cartoons, lyrics, and more.

The place of greatest use of avatars are forums, instant messaging programs, and online role-playing games where it is customary to create an alter ego.
Instead, the mood indicates what you feel at some specific time, not to be confused with the avatar or your own visual representation in the virtual way that must remain so if you are consistent. As, on the other hand, is the nickname.

Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned, but what do you think?

And yes, my nickname and avatar are 20 years old, so before of my joning date here. :) And proud of that.

Edit: Not to mention those who “jump on the bandwagon” or even better those who live with reflected light.
Last edited by 3Di on Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Re: About avatars, nicknames and moods. 🤔

Post by kinerity »

3Di wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:07 am
my nickname and avatar are 20 years old, so before of my joning date here. :)
:?

3Di.png
3Di.png (16.74 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
GitHub repositories (including un-released extensions)
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

kinerity wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:01 pm
:?
:o
3Di wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:07 am
I understand changing your avatar for some festive/special occasions, that's not a problem
kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity »

Ah, I missed that part. Still found it slightly amusing. :D
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
GitHub repositories (including un-released extensions)
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

kinerity wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:08 pm
Ah, I missed that part. Still found it slightly amusing. :D
Yeah, btw good memories for me, just I do not know if such avatar still lasts in my media, nvm it is the Italian flag so it is ok.

Oh, I am watching your repositories, beware. :lol: :P
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

My nickname is a consistent one since around 1997. For a long time it was even unique worldwide, but over the years at least one other person used the same nickname exactly written like mine (no spaces, proper uppercase). Also a couple of websites have vanished already where I used it. For some time people implied I was Spanish.

Yes, I'm also thankful for people choosing a name once and then using it forever. Privacy wise this has disadvantages, yes, but for that case just use different identities per website. But changing the name on one website? Even multiple times? Yes, that's the advantage of digital accounts: you can easily do just that in contrast to real life. But for me it implies a lack of overall orientation in life. Why not starting off with a new account instead?

Likewise Sonic has established as avatar for my accounts, where possible, mostly because that character has accompanied me since its debut.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

I allow username changes once and only once. People often put in lame username when registering and in some cases no longer applies down the road.

As for the avatars that reminds me, I need to make new one. Perhaps from this one but it's little too dark.

“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I never did understand the resistance to changing your username and/or avatar.
as long as one is not doing it to bypass some rule or whatever, what difference does it make?

back in 2005 I stopped using my flogger12 account and opened a new one here under lumpy burgertushie.
the only reason I did it was because a fellow member noticed that I was coming up on 15000 posts and thought it
would be fun to just leave it at that number and start over. I thought it would be kind of fun as well.
boy, I caught all kinds of crap here about doing to try and bypass some rule or something.
however, it was allowed and I am thankful for that.
as for the avatar change, why would anyone assume there is some negative to changing your avatar. they are used for fun and always have been.
I think that it is being a little judgemental to ascribe any personality traits based on someone's avatar.
I will say that I have found myself assuming gender based on avatars at times in the past.

oh well,

robert
thecharmed01
Former Team Member

Post by thecharmed01 »

I often change my avatars. but not my username.

In general, if you see this nick anywhere, it's likely to be me! I've only a few times not been able to sign up somewhere with this handle and I like that.
Avatar pics are usually me, so that's easy enough. I don't change much.
The biggest barrier to changing avatars lately is actually finding time to make a pic that small :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please refrain from PM'ing me for support unless I specifically ask you to.......

Helpful Pages: ~ [Styles FAQ] ~ [Styles User Guide] ~ [Styles Submission Policy]
My Site: [C1 Web Design]
| Mum | Web Designer | Airsoft Player| Business Owner|
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

thecharmed01 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:18 am
That's nice isn't? You should be proud of that.
thecharmed01 wrote:
The biggest barrier to changing avatars lately is actually finding time to make a pic that small
Oh, I am sure i can find some time for that in case, I will be more than glad to help you. :)
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

thecharmed01 wrote:
I often change my avatars. but not my username.

In general, if you see this nick anywhere, it's likely to be me! I've only a few times not been able to sign up somewhere with this handle and I like that.
The biggest barrier to changing avatars lately is actually finding time to make a pic that small :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know that face :)
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

I forgot to mention those who “jump on the bandwagon” or live with reflected light.

TS updated.

Return to “General Discussion”