Is it possible to make a user group a group leader

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
SkiDooGUy

Is it possible to make a user group a group leader

Post by SkiDooGUy »

Greetings,

I have searched through this forum (as best I could) and google but have been unable to find much of a hint related to this.

I am wondering how much work it would be to modify the software to allow one usergroup to be a group leader of another usergroup?

A board I administrate on has thousands of daily users from every corner of the globe with many more that pass through for varying periods of time. With that, we are forced to have extensive lists of group leaders for various groups which have to be maintained as users come and go over time. It would be very beneficial to make a particular usergroup the group leader for other groups so the act of adding/removing them from that one group would grant/remove group leader permissions over the others.

I have poked around the software a bit, but am at best a hobby programmer and work mostly with JS, so large scale projects like the board are not my usual thing. I can find my way around eventually, but as this would require changes in multiple areas, and if no-one has done anything similiar before, anyone more familiar with the complexity of this venture telling me it's going to be very hard, or pointing me in the direction of where to start would be fantastic!

TIA for any help!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Is it possible to make a user group a group leader

Post by thecoalman »

Not sure if this would be helpful out the box but it should get you halfway there by handling the adding/removing part:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... to_groups/

There is tutorial here on how to extend it with your own criteria:

https://github.com/phpbb-extensions/aut ... uto-Groups
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
SkiDooGUy

Post by SkiDooGUy »

thecoalman wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:42 pm
Not sure if this would be helpful out the box but it should get you halfway there by handling the adding/removing part:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... to_groups/

There is tutorial here on how to extend it with your own criteria:

https://github.com/phpbb-extensions/aut ... uto-Groups
Thanks for the suggestion - I had checked out autogroups, but unfortunately none of the memberships on our board are based on criteria within the board itself. A couple of groups are automated based on input from another back-end system, but only adding members, not removing them; and company dev time won't be allocated to this unfortunately. So all solutions must be contained within the board.

I figured this would be a large task, maybe if I can find some time I can learn/develop an extension.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

SkiDooGUy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:07 pm
Thanks for the suggestion - I had checked out autogroups, but unfortunately none of the memberships on our board are based on criteria within the board itself.
If I understand correctly members of one group which you have already added would be made leaders of another group. Isn't the criteria being a member of the first group?
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

SkiDooGUy

Post by SkiDooGUy »

thecoalman wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:19 pm
SkiDooGUy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:07 pm
Thanks for the suggestion - I had checked out autogroups, but unfortunately none of the memberships on our board are based on criteria within the board itself.
If I understand correctly members of one group which you have already added would be made leaders of another group. Isn't the criteria being a member of the first group?
Correct. For instance, as we have some structure based on country - there are say 3 levels of groups in most countries/regions, and a number of groups that apply world wide.

If the top level group in each country could be a group leader for the 2 subordinate groups and the world groups, then we'd only need to add a user to the top level group instead of adding them to 4 or more groups as leaders to manage users.

You can imagine when you have many thousands of users coming through each day and varying levels of activity and rotation through the ladder that managing group membership becomes very time intensive and things often fall out of date with so many spots to update.

That said, I fully admit that there needs to be some admin practice updates and enforcement of the board, but as a worldwide (ie - many languages) platform provided by a company and run by the community it can be difficult to coordinate that. Therefore the idea for groups as group leaders to take a chunk of that burden.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

I'm not familiar with auto groups or extending it but based on the documentation I believe it will do what you want. Perhaps someone more familiar with it can offer some advice on how to go about extending it.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”