GZIP Compression?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Teletran One

GZIP Compression?

Post by Teletran One »

What does GZIP Compression mean, and does it matter if I have it on or off? :oops:
sonyboy

Post by sonyboy »

This is used for database backup, if the database(sql) file that you backup is too big, this is what come in to compress and make it smaller in size, to use this your host need to support gzip, but even if you turn on and your host doesn't support, it doesn't matter.
flogger12

Post by flogger12 »

sonyboy wrote: This is used for database backup, if the database(sql) file that you backup is too big, this is what come in to compress and make it smaller in size, to use this your host need to support gzip, but even if you turn on and your host doesn't support, it doesn't matter.

this is not quite correct, gzip compresses the data as it moves back and forth from the server to the browser, it will help a busy large board move faster.

it is also a compression method that can be used for the database files to make them smaller like zip does.

robert
Teletran One

Post by Teletran One »

So it doesn't matter if my forum uses it?
delicata

Post by delicata »

flogger12 wrote: it is also a compression method that can be used for the database files to make them smaller like zip does.

robert

And can a GZIPped file be opened with Winzip?
John - Delicata Designs
Tel: +44 (0) 7930 343276 | Fax: +44 (0) 7092 004104

Supporter of:
Independent Web Designers Portal | Mini Tutorials

flogger12

Post by flogger12 »

delicata wrote:
flogger12 wrote:it is also a compression method that can be used for the database files to make them smaller like zip does.

robert

And can a GZIPped file be opened with Winzip?

yes, winzip will open them, it does it a little differently, it will ask you if you want to uncompress the file to a temp directory and show the contents, and you just say yes.

robert
delicata

Post by delicata »

flogger12 wrote: yes, winzip will open them, it does it a little differently, it will ask you if you want to uncompress the file to a temp directory and show the contents, and you just say yes.

robert

Cheers
John - Delicata Designs
Tel: +44 (0) 7930 343276 | Fax: +44 (0) 7092 004104

Supporter of:
Independent Web Designers Portal | Mini Tutorials

sonyboy

Post by sonyboy »

flogger12 wrote:
sonyboy wrote:This is used for database backup, if the database(sql) file that you backup is too big, this is what come in to compress and make it smaller in size, to use this your host need to support gzip, but even if you turn on and your host doesn't support, it doesn't matter.

this is not quite correct, gzip compresses the data as it moves back and forth from the server to the browser, it will help a busy large board move faster.

it is also a compression method that can be used for the database files to make them smaller like zip does.

robert

I was talking about the one in database backup, didn't you read.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

yes I read it very well, he asked about the turning it on or off, the only place to turn it on or off for the board has nothing to do with the database backup .

well, there is the option to back it up with it or without it.

but that is not turning it on or off, that is in the admin panel for the purpose I mentioned.

and your post is combining the two functions in your description of what it does.

luck,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Teletran One

Post by Teletran One »

Alright, so for safety I should leave it off?

I'm scared I might blow it up. :?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Teletran One wrote: Alright, so for safety I should leave it off?

ilt doesn't matter if it is on or off, there is no safety issue about it.

if you have a large , busy board like this one, it would help ease the strain on your server, if you don't , then it probably isn't necessary.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
sonyboy

Post by sonyboy »

Teletran One wrote: Alright, so for safety I should leave it off?

Hey, there's nothing to be scare off, if you turn either Gzip option on config page or database backup one on, it's still fine, even if your host doesn't support Gzip.
CLee

Post by CLee »

flogger12 wrote: yes, winzip will open them, it does it a little differently, it will ask you if you want to uncompress the file to a temp directory and show the contents, and you just say yes.

Not entirely true. Gzip is only a compression utility but it has not file archive feature (combine multiple files into one file). Tar is a file archive, but it has not compression mechanism. That is why the two are combined together to form what is called a tarball.

While Winzip can handle gzip and tar files separately, it can not handle the two methods together at the same time. Instead, it uncompresses the tarball first, creating a regular tar file, and then opens up the tar file.
Carlos Myers
A+, Network+
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club
Lumpy Burgertushie

did not know that, thanks, all I know is that when you double click on a gzip file, winzip opens a dialog box and asks do you want to uncompress it to a temporary directory and I say yes.

robert

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”