[CDB] Scroll Quoted Text

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: [3.2][3.3][RC] Scroll Quoted Text

Post by HiFiKabin »

Glad you like it and its helping on your board.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

HiFiKabin wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:08 am I had thought of that David, but it may prove problematic where there are several nested quotes.
I haven't looked at what the behavior is now in RC2. And this is probably one of many ideas you've already considered.

But when I see your "nested quotes" example, to me what fits with "quotes are now in a scroll, and don't take up as much room in the post" is that the scroll bar could be applied "to just the top-level quote."

Meaning "the entire football field of quote surface" that phpBB would have otherwise displayed -- regardless of whether that's a single quote, or a series of nested quotes -- is now viewable though a single scroll bar. If you're willing to drag the scroll control and see "the entire quote", then it seems like it shouldn't matter whether that's just a single quote as would have normally been presented by phpBB, or nested quotes as would have normally been presented by phpBB.

Presenting the "Russian nesting doll of scrollbars" shown in the example screen shot seems like it just makes it more difficult to review the entire quote. Not only because now you have multiple controls to interact with "in order to ever see the entire quote area", but also because you're having to interact with the lower-level scroll bars within a vertical area that is already constrained by the top-level scroll bar.

Definitely appreciate being able to control the quote area, and have added this to the list of extensions we'll consider during our next update. Because there is this one dude on our site who seems to enjoy writing long missives 😜 and being able to cap the quote size will be appreciated.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

I agree that having the nested scrolls is not a perfect way of dealing with this, but any and every other solution I have tried has so far made things worse.

Ideally I would like the quoted post to be fully scrollable, but no scrolls within that quote. (which I think is what you are asking) its just not working as yet :cry:
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

3.2.0-RC3 now available. Image Image Image

The quoted post now has one scroll bar allowing the whole post to be read easily

Update from previous version:
  • Download the latest release and unzip it.
  • Disable Scroll Quoted Text in the ACP
  • Delete Scroll Quoted Text Data
  • Delete scrollquoted folder from the server
  • Upload the the folder hifikabin to root/ext/ and enable it in the ACP
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: [CDB] Scroll Quoted Text

Post by HiFiKabin »

Released to the CDB

Return to “Extensions in Development”