I made a mistake and now the forum is broken

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Ancient Viking

I made a mistake and now the forum is broken

Post by Ancient Viking »

I read, see below, and accidently uploaded all files, except for the config.php file then I got "No valid update directory was found, please make sure you uploaded the relevant files." message, so I click on submit and the update was successful.

Well, I thought it was successful, but no it was NOT. Because now I can't access neither ACP or the main index.
First, you should make a copy of your existing config.php file; keep it in a safe place! Next, delete all the existing phpBB files, you should leave your files/, images/ and ext/ directories in place, otherwise you will lose your file attachments, uploaded images and get errors due to missing extension files. You can leave alternative styles in place too. With this complete, you can upload the new phpBB files (see New installation for details if necessary). Once complete, copy back your saved config.php, replacing the new one. Another method is to just replace the existing files with the files from the full package - though make sure you do not overwrite your config.php file.
My local forum: egetforum.nu - Offline Forum Online!
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: I made a mistake and now the forum is broken

Post by stevemaury »

The message about the update directory is inconsistent with what you said you did. Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better. Specifically, what did you do after you uploaded the new files. It sound like you are trying to use some kind of update file, which is unnecessary.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
EA117

Post by EA117 »

The message about "No valid update directory was found, please make sure you uploaded the relevant files" is normal, and is always seen when performing the Full Package update of a phpBB site.

What isn't normal is the outcome of "now I can't access neither ACP or the main index." The phpBB 3.3.0 update itself may have been successful, but possibly you have one or more extensions which were not phpBB 3.3.0 compatible are now preventing the site from working correctly. So be sure to fill out the Support Request Template completely, including extensions and versions, as well as including what you actually see when saying "I can't access." (Blank page, error message, etc.) A guess is that an extension or something else might be having a PHP execution error, so if you know where your server logs PHP errors, you might also want to look whether any entries being logged there, too.

Depending on what version of phpBB you were updating from, the instructions for using the Full Package download to update are available here.

Regarding the installer message, we're talking about what's shown in the last of the images shown here:

That's normal, and everyone using the Full Package to update sees it, so far as I know. It's essentially just confirmation "you're not using an update package." Just in case you thought you were using one & had uploaded one, the installer is confirming "I don't see one." When using the Full Package, there isn't supposed to be an update folder, so that's normal.
Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

I was using full package, but like I said I made a mistake by uploading all files, including those files/directories that shouldn't be deleted on the server when following this.
First, you should make a copy of your existing config.php file; keep it in a safe place! Next, delete all the existing phpBB files, you should leave your files/, images/ and ext/ directories in place, otherwise you will lose your file attachments, uploaded images and get errors due to missing extension files. You can leave alternative styles in place too.

Also...
Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.3.0
What is your board's URL? https://forum.sovngarde.se/realm/index.php
Who do you host your board with? https://www.inleed.se/
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.5
What extensions do you have installed? I don't remember now, because I don't have access to ACP.
What styles do you currently have installed? Prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? British-English
Which database type/version are you using? MariaDB
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Just copying the config.php back to the server then I click on "Take me to ACP" and see what I mean.

https://forum.sovngarde.se/realm/index.php
Please describe your problem. Click on the link above.
Generated by SRT Generator
Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

I saw exactly what the pictures show, but still no access to neither index or ACP.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Ancient Viking wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:49 pm
I was using full package, but like I said I made a mistake by uploading all files, including those files/directories that shouldn't be deleted on the server when following this...
I'm not expecting any problems because of that. The important part was removing folders from the site prior to upload. If you "uploaded the entire Full Package except for config.php" rather than only selected folders, that just means the files like index.htm and .htaccess were re-applied to "empty" folders in the Full Upload package like /files and /ext, and isn't by definition "a problem." Aside from the config.php, none of the files in the Full Package download are going to "cause loss of critical configuration" on the existing phpBB site.

EA117 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:47 pm
...you have one or more extensions which were not phpBB 3.3.0 compatible are now preventing the site from working correctly. So be sure to fill out the Support Request Template completely, including extensions and versions, as well as including what you actually see when saying "I can't access." (Blank page, error message, etc.) A guess is that an extension or something else might be having a PHP execution error, so if you know where your server logs PHP errors, you might also want to look whether any entries being logged there, too.
These are still the interesting questions that remain. Extension names and versions when filling in the template, and sharing any entries that are being logged to the PHP error log of your server.
Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

I checked all extensions before I began updating and deactivated every outdated extensions.

The only extensions left are those that is phpBB 3.3.0 compatible in which I didn't deactivate, so I think that could what is causing my issue.

Like I said earlier, I accidently uploaded all files from the full package. Which means that the Ext directory from the full package replaced ,if you want call it overwrite, the existing Ext directory on the server and having the 3.3.0 compatible extensions activated at the same time the necessary files are overwritten hence for not being able to login.

That's the only conclusion I can think of.

But I do have an idea of how to fix it and that's to upload the 3.3.0 compatible extensions and update the forum a second time. My problem is that I don't remember which extension(s) I had activated during the update.

Would it work?
Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

Scratch that...

Success, I fix it!!! :mrgreen:

https://forum.sovngarde.se/realm/index.php

What I did was to delete every related file(s) in the store directory on the server from my failed update yesterday then I downloaded phpBB 3.2.9 here (the last zip) and deleted all other files including the styles directory on the server. Except for the files listed here and included the .htaccess file in the upload.

However, once in ACP I notice that my forum is now phpBB 3.3.0! How is that even possible? :?
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Ancient Viking wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:00 am
However, once in ACP I notice that my forum is now phpBB 3.3.0! How is that even possible? :?
Because the config entry in the database for the version is set as 3.3.0
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”