[2.0.13] phpBB 2.0.13 to 2.0.14 Code Changes

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
71%
Very Good
11%
Good
9%
Fair
2%
Poor
8%

Total votes: 114

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

SnakeStu wrote: Well, I am using MySQL... Did you change your table prefix? At a glance through the code, it looks like that shouldn't matter (although I think there are some hard-coded table prefixes in a section relevant to one of the other databases, not MySQL), but that's the only thing I can think of that I've done differently database-wise. Well, I've added a couple custom tables, but that shouldn't break anything.

Ok, I can understand how it is possible that the updates wouldn't work if you changed the prefix for your phpBB tables. I've always been curious as to why anyone would change the prefix for their phpBB tables though. Perhaps if you are storing the tables for more than one board in the same database, I guess that might be necessary. But for those who only have one board, why what would be the benefit of changing the default table naming prefix???
SnakeStu wrote: Anyway, I didn't mean to sound ungrateful for this method of upgrading, it's only the database update part that doesn't work for me. I have a significantly-modified board, with many of my own modifications, and this approach to upgrading is a real salvation. I might not be able to effectively upgrade otherwise!

SnakeStu, I don't think anyone felt that you were being ungrateful. How can anything improve if people aren't allowed to ask questions or add suggestions? If you felt like I was accusing you of being ungrateful, I apologize. That certainly wasn't my intent. I have a heavily modified board too, so I really do appreciate these version upgrade MODs as much as you do. Without them, I would still be running on version 2.0.10 on my board...

:lol:
SnakeStu

Post by SnakeStu »

NightriderXP wrote: But for those who only have one board, why what would be the benefit of changing the default table naming prefix???

The main reason why I rename many things from their default is basic security. If an automated attack tool expects to find things named a certain way, it's more likely (though not guaranteed) to fail on a system where that default name has been changed. Of course, there are often ways around that, but that requires more elegant coding which may not be perceived to be worth the hassle to the tool writer. The "low hanging fruit" in the vast majority of default-named systems can very well be "good enough" of a target. It's all about odds, and anything that reduces the odds of success of an attack increases the odds of my system surviving an attack despite having vulnerable code (for any given unpatched vulnerability). This is also why there's no /phpBB directory in my Web space, no C:\WINDOWS directory on my Windows machines, and no "C:\Program Files\" structure either.

Or maybe I'm just a control freak. :roll: :lol:
NightriderXP wrote: If you felt like I was accusing you of being ungrateful, I apologize. That certainly wasn't my intent.

Nope, I just re-read my own message and thought it didn't really represent my position very well. :cool:
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

SnakeStu wrote: The main reason why I rename many things from their default is basic security.

That is logical I guess. So far, I haven't been hacked, knock on wood. I really keep complete backups of both the source code and database regularly, so I could easily and quickly restore everything with very little effort if someone did manage to hack my board. I would never lose much as a result. Of course if my board was as active as some of the major boards, security might be more of a concern for me. As it stands now, I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over having default names for my tables and folders...
SnakeStu wrote: This is also why there's no /phpBB directory in my Web space, no C:\WINDOWS directory on my Windows machines, and no "C:\Program Files\" structure either.

Or maybe I'm just a control freak. :roll: :lol:

You must have had a very bad experience somewhere along the line...

I have never changed the naming on any of the Windows machines that I have ever built and I don't know of anyone that has had a problem. I think with a good firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware, and with an educated clientelle, there is very little risk from hackers even if the Windows patches and updates aren't ever applied. Perhaps if I was hacked and lost some important information that somehow never was backed up, my attitude would be different. I hope I never have to find out the hard way. Hopefully I will never fall behind in my backups where a successful hacking attempt would ever be a serious problem...

krige

Post by krige »

I have a heavily modded board 2.0.3 and I need to update it to the most recent version. Does anybody know whether the code changes from 2.0.3 to 2.0.14 are available somewhere and where I can find them?

Sorry for posting this here but I didn't know where else to do it.
achapman

Post by achapman »

Okay I have installed the MOD's but it seems when I go to attach a document, it seems to show it in preview, but when I post it, it is not there :roll: . errrrrr what have I missed.
Lee Deeming

Post by Lee Deeming »

krige wrote: I have a heavily modded board 2.0.3 and I need to update it to the most recent version. Does anybody know whether the code changes from 2.0.3 to 2.0.14 are available somewhere and where I can find them?

You need to go from 2.0.3 to 2.0.4 to 2.0.5 to 2.0.6 and so on. I wouldn't like to be you..
chatasos

Post by chatasos »

In such cases i'm using a visual-compare tool (like Araxis Merge) in order to make the transition as easy as possible...

I don't even have to make the intermediate changes. I just get the latest files, find the differences with mine and "fix" them. I just have to keep all the mod changes in a common writing style in order to be able to distinguish them easily.
mattbugz

Post by mattbugz »

krige wrote: I have a heavily modded board 2.0.3 and I need to update it to the most recent version. Does anybody know whether the code changes from 2.0.3 to 2.0.14 are available somewhere and where I can find them?

Hmm....you're going to have to do incremental steps to get from 2.0.3 all the way to 2.0.14.

Check THIS link.
--
Regards,
Matt
achapman

Post by achapman »

any help?
krige

Post by krige »

Oh my... :(

Guys, thanks a lot! :) I have still a problem though: the code changes start from phpBB 2.0.5. Where do I get the changes from 2.0.3 to 2.0.5?
blaknite

Post by blaknite »

noob alert! :P

ok I downloaded the files with just the code changes so I wouldn't have to reapply mods I have in my board. I went around and made the changes, the readme also says I gotta run the update_to_latest.php file when I'm done with the changes. So when I navigate to

http://localhost/phpbb2/update_to_latest.php

What returns is this:

Code: Select all

Warning: main(./../extension.inc): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\phpbb2\update_to_latest.php on line 46

Warning: main(): Failed opening './../extension.inc' for inclusion (include_path='.;c:\php4\pear') in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\phpbb2\update_to_latest.php on line 46

Notice: Undefined variable: phpEx in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\phpbb2\update_to_latest.php on line 47

Warning: main(./../config.): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\phpbb2\update_to_latest.php on line 47

Warning: main(): Failed opening './../config.' for inclusion (include_path='.;c:\php4\pear') in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\phpbb2\update_to_latest.php on line 47
Please read: INSTALL.html before attempting to update.
the boards still load, I just cant run that file. So I guess the question is: What did I miss?
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Store the update_to_latest.php in the install folder in the root. So when you run this database update, the path will look something like this:

http://yoursite.com/phpBB2/install/update_to_latest.php

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

achapman wrote: any help?

Restore your backups, then go through all the modifications you made to make sure you applied them correctly...

There is a lot of useful information in the Knowledge Base. In the How to Install MODs section, it will explain what each command means in the MOD file. Some people confuse the AFTER, ADD with INLINE AFTER, ADD and end up messing things up. If you don't completely understand the difference between some of these commands, you shouldn't be manually applying these MODs to your board...

If you download and install EasyMOD, that will do all of the work for you and all you need to do is upload the MOD folder, included files, and the MOD install file. Then you can let EM do all the work for you in just a matter of seconds...
'
On rare occasions, EM cannot apply complex SQL queries, so on those rare occasions, SQL commands will have to be applied to your database manually, and EM will tell you so on Step 3.

[beta] EasyMOD v0.1.13

If this isn't enough to help you resolve your problem, don't hesitate to ask for more help...

blaknite

Post by blaknite »

I found my problem .....

I didn't have an install directory cos it said to delete it so I did ....
its updated now .....

thanks for the troubleshooting! I hadn't a clue why it wasn't working :P
AndrewThomas

Post by AndrewThomas »

what an idiot i am i tried to install this i already have .14 hahaha
www.technoputa.com

Cause EVERYONE Listens To Techno

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”