American loonie?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
JustinSL

American loonie?

Post by JustinSL »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7655822/?GT1=6542

Wow. Looks like the US is looking north for ideas.

I guess it's a compliment for Canada, eh?
Darth Wong
Name: Michael Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

It just makes sense. Coins are a lot more durable than bills, and the modern dollar is worth what the nickel was once worth.
Freedom of speech is not absolute, nor was it ever meant to be. If it were, then fraud would not be illegal.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

How many times has the US tried a 1 dollar coin now? It would be nice if this one didn't fail, but given the past lack of success, I have a feeling it will fail.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Um... wow? Have people already forgotten about the Sacajawea dollar coin?

I save $1 coins... they're good collector's items. I would never spend a dollar coin unless I had to. Just out of habit, I guess.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
Bobble

Post by Bobble »

in England we swapped the £1 note (bill) for the £1 coin many years ago, although Scotland still has a £1 note IIRC. There was a great deal of public outcry at the time but as we had no choice in the matter people got used to it.

and don't get me started on the £2 coin :roll:
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

susan b. anthony, anyone?
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

TC wrote: susan b. anthony, anyone?

Of course.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
CLee

Post by CLee »

I happened to like the Sacagawea coin and still have four of them stacked on my entertainment center. But if they think a design change will help it, then they have another thing coming. There were two big problems with the Sacagawea coin however. The first and biggest reason why it failed was that it tarnished far too easily. Those same four coins I mentioned easier are almost black from exposure to the air even though I haven touched them other then to occasionally dust them off. No one wants to use tarnished coins. The second reason that is just as big as the first is that there was almost no practical use for the coin. I never seen a vending machine that would take a $1 Sacagawea and the attendant-less tollbooths in my area wouldn't accept them either. Let's face it; the US economy just is not ready to accept a $1 coin no matter what size, shape or color it is.

But the bill being reported on doesn't appear to be targeted at re-re-reintroducing the $1 coin into circulation but targeted at the gold markets instead and coin collectors that inhabit them. That probably means that this is more symbolism over substance and we will not likely see these new $1 coins in real circulation.
Carlos Myers
A+, Network+
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club
Mr. C
I've Been Banned!

Post by Mr. C »

Well, at least we (Canada) still have the Toonie!
Canis_Latrans

Post by Canis_Latrans »

On that note, doesn't anyone else find Canadians' naming of their coins rediculous? As if "loonie" wasn't bad enough they had to come up with the name "twoonie". I think instead of polar bears on the back of two dollar coin they should have put two male deer. Then we could just call it two bucks. 8)

I think the idea of coins instead of bills is great, just the Canadian naming of them is dumb. I remember being in Washington state a few years ago and trying to feed a wrinkled American one dollar bill into a Pepsi machine at the duty-free shop. Brought back memories from the eighties. :)
Nephrus
Former Team Member

Post by Nephrus »

Canis_Latrans wrote: On that note, doesn't anyone else find Canadians' naming of their coins rediculous? As if "loonie" wasn't bad enough they had to come up with the name "twoonie". I think instead of polar bears on the back of two dollar coin they should have put two male deer. Then we could just call it two bucks. 8)

I think the idea of coins instead of bills is great, just the Canadian naming of them is dumb. I remember being in Washington state a few years ago and trying to feed a wrinkled American one dollar bill into a Pepsi machine at the duty-free shop. Brought back memories from the eighties. :)

Would you have come up with anything better? :p
I find that the term "Loonie" is appropriate since there's a Loon on it. Unless you want to spend a Suzie for a can of Coke. :lol:
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you
Canis_Latrans

Post by Canis_Latrans »

Yea sure. Here's a great one: Why not just call it "one dollar"? Why do we have to have a stupid name for it? I laugh everytime I hear someone call the two dollar coin a twoonie. And I get strange looks all the time when I refuse to call it that and call it what it is, a two dollar coin.

Before the introduction of the one dollar coin none of our other coins had bizarre made up names.
Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

same reason we have a "penny, dime, nickel, and quarter".

Personally, I like the name Toonie, as stupid as it is. As for loonie, it does make sense based on the design, even though it's not like the other coins followed that pattern(it's not like anyone has ever hear "hey, can I borrow beavers for the vending machine? I'm 25 cents short and so far I've only been able to find 2 schoonies"
nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Post by nuckfan15 »

Canis_Latrans wrote: Yea sure. Here's a great one: Why not just call it "one dollar"? Why do we have to have a stupid name for it?

Before the introduction of the one dollar coin none of our other coins had bizarre made up names.

Well dont be making fun of our canadian currency. I very much prefer it over american currency. The number one reason is we actually have life in our money. I am sorry to say, but green is boring. Also the bills are better when different colours because it allows you to tell them apart.

What other names do you suggest? Its no different then calling one of your bills a lincon. Seeing as our coin has a loon on it, a loonie is appropriate. I dont see anything wrong with such names or how it evokes hilarity.
Travis aka Nuckfan15 - No Private Support
Make use of the Support Request Template when seeking support.
xdarkday

Post by xdarkday »

nuckfan15 wrote:
Canis_Latrans wrote:Yea sure. Here's a great one: Why not just call it "one dollar"? Why do we have to have a stupid name for it?

Also the bills are better when different colours because it allows you to tell them apart.
So different patterns and a different number doesnt give you enough to notice a different bill? I never have confusion over this.

Return to “General Discussion”