Too many attachements in file directory

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Whiskerfish

Too many attachements in file directory

Post by Whiskerfish »

I know this was hammered to death with the earlier versions but I am fighting the same issue yet again. I upgraded from 3.1.10 to 3.3.1. In the earlier version my tech guy put in a mod or extension or something and broke the attachment files down into multiple folders and sub folders. Each contained less than 100 files. There were I think 822 folders for 72,300 files. Apparently that is not available for 3.3.xxx ???

So I am moving all the attachment files into the single "/files" folder and I get to 9,998 and it locks up. I have a trouble ticket in with the Server (Leaseweb formerly Servint) to see what they will do. In the past they have been very responsive to any issues so I am optimistic. But even if they raise it I also know that it will not be long before I hit the 100,000 mark which I suspect will be another problem. It is a Motorcycle club and guys like to share pictures of their builds and projects.

From searches here, there are Many phpbb users with this issue. As boards grow there are going to be many more. I am very happy with my Server and do not see this as justification to have move my board.

Is there any relief for this issue coming from anyone here??

PS. Looks like Server Company just volunteered to move the remaining 62,000 files for me.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Too many attachements in file directory

Post by HiFiKabin »

Have a look at this for future attachments as I think they are handled more as you would like. (each users images are uploaded to their 'own' directory on the server)

viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2407621
Forex Station

Post by Forex Station »

Whiskerfish wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:57 pm
But even if they raise it I also know that it will not be long before I hit the 100,000 mark which I suspect will be another problem.
Is there a hard limit of 100,000 attachments allowed on all phpBB boards? Or is this host specific? Apologies for the hijack.
Proudly powered by phpBB for almost 4 years now: forex-station.com :mrgreen:
Global Alexa rank: 40,500
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

phpBB has no limit on the amount of attachments at all.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

It’s an operating system limit, MS improved matters going to NTFS (4,294,967,295 files per drive/folder) from FAT32 (65,534 files per drive/folder) I’m not aware of any way round it from an OS perspective apart from going to NTFS so using multiple folders is the only way, there was an extension I think, if I find it I’ll add it. I would assume though if your talking about a ±100,000 file limit, or any other limit lower than the NTFS limit, that your server is NTFS and the host has restricted it, individual hosts may well add their own restrictions.

Edit: Does the extension James posted do what you want?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

i remember something about this being a limit on how many files can be shown in the directory rather than how many it can hold.
If you look in your ftp you will find that the total files that can be shown is 9998. that number plus the folder plus something else I don't remember, adds up to the total allowed of 10,000

ask your host if this is a server/operating system limit or what?

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Whiskerfish

Post by Whiskerfish »

I am almost done fixing this. I have moved approximately 62,000 files so far. Only 10,000 more to go. It has just been a very frustrating exercise. When we installed the Mod in 3.1.xxx years ago the discussions about it at the time indicated that it would be incorporated into 3.2.xx That never happened obviously.
Whiskerfish

Post by Whiskerfish »

OK I got all the files uploaded. Then I just did my first backup using FTP. It only downloaded 9,998 files out of the 72,300.

I generally do my databases with Gzip daily but only do a full FTP backup Monthly. What is the simplist way to do that and get all the files??
Forex Station

Post by Forex Station »

Paul wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:15 am
phpBB has no limit on the amount of attachments at all.
Thanks for confirming that Paul.
Proudly powered by phpBB for almost 4 years now: forex-station.com :mrgreen:
Global Alexa rank: 40,500

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”