Can't install phpBB due to a redirect?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Jaypea

Can't install phpBB due to a redirect?

Post by Jaypea »

Hi,

Trying to pick up an old project that a colleague created.

Everything works on the live domain, however, I need to pull it in locally to make some changes to then re dploy it.

The problem I am having is when I go to localhost/forum/install/index.php to install it, I keep getting redirected to localhost/forum/install/app.php instead so I am unable to install it and get it up and running locally?

Any ideas?

Thanks
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Can't install phpBB due to a redirect?

Post by stevemaury »

See if this from the ,htacces file is of any use:

Code: Select all

# The following 3 lines will rewrite URLs passed through the front controller
# to not require app.php in the actual URL. In other words, a controller is
# by default accessed at /app.php/my/controller, but can also be accessed at
# /my/controller
#
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ app.php [QSA,L]
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Jaypea wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:27 pm
The problem I am having is when I go to localhost/forum/install/index.php to install it, I keep getting redirected to localhost/forum/install/app.php instead so I am unable to install it and get it up and running locally?
That's what's supposed to happen when you access /forum/install/. Being redirected to app.php is how everyone starts up the installation pages.

Note there is no index.php file in that folder. Note the redirect occurs from the index.htm file which is present in that folder, via <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=./app.php" />. Steve is also correct that part of the normal phpBB-supplied .htaccess rules are to re-write any non-existent path such that it's passed through app.php, which is how paths like /forum/help/faq become successfully handled as /forum/app.php/help/faq and similar. But that's not what's expected to be in play for accessing the /forum/install/ folder.

What happens once you've been sent to /forum/install/app.php? Is it giving you a blank white page or HTTP 500 status as though maybe there has been a PHP execution problem? (In which case, what's in the PHP error logs which might point to a more specific problem or cause.) Or are you getting to a page which doesn't appear to have the installation options you expected, in which case maybe we need to see that page.
Jaypea

Post by Jaypea »

Attachments
Capture.PNG
Jaypea

Post by Jaypea »

I get the above.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

What happens if you temporarily rename .htaccess?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
EA117

Post by EA117 »

prcarp wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:24 pm
I think I am having the same problem. We are using nginx as our server and the forum is a subfolder off of a test/development site.
That's something I didn't think to ask, either. If your web server in NGINX, then there are some /install/ folder-specific configuration directives in the sample NGINX configuration provided with phpBB. If you're on NGINX instead of an Apache or other .htaccess-compatible web server, it might be absence of those directives which is causing /install/ folder-specific issues.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”