Blocking Adblock users?

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
mll

Blocking Adblock users?

Post by mll »

Hi.
There is a script to block adblock users, and it is on this site https://blockadblock.com/.
However, when I add it in overal header or footer I am getting error Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token '}'

This is my forum link: https://forum.mllapan.com/

Is there an solution for this?
david63

Re: Blocking Adblock users?

Post by david63 »

mll wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:19 pm Is there an solution for this?
Ask at the place where you downloaded the script.

Out of interest why do you want to override a user's choice to not show ads on your site?

Any site that I visit that does not allow me to blocks ads I just walk away from.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
mll

Post by mll »

Ask at the place where you downloaded the script.

Out of interest why do you want to override a user's choice to not show ads on your site?

Any site that I visit that does not allow me to blocks ads I just walk away from.
Thanks for the answer.
The script itself works, I have it implemented into WordPress, so I don't think that other site is the right place to ask.

I was not blocking this on main site for few months, and I earned nothing, but had many users visiting site.

The things are simple: "They want to stay night in hotel without paying for room.".
That is simply not working this way, and I have nothing against ones that will leave: "You don't have to stay at the hotel, but if you do, you will pay."

If script was not working I would put paywall.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

If you’re having issues getting some third party code to work the author is the only place to go for assistance, that’s the same for extensions on this site. The fact that it works with WP is irrelevant, this isn’t that.

https://blockadblock.com/help.php
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

david63 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:33 pm Any site that I visit that does not allow me to blocks ads I just walk away from.
That, or make an adblock rule to block the adblocker. I made one of those for the weather.com website.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

Can you post the script here?

It looks like there's some kind of sign-up required to try it on their website and I'm too lazy to do that.

Will be happy to look into this, although I agree with the sentiment of the others above. It's a sure-fire way to lose visits fast.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

mll wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:19 pmit is on this site https://blockadblock.com/.
Welcome to the internet. Please link to the actual download, not just a website in general - that's what links are for. If you care for details you're prone to solve detail problems like the one you have/had now.
mll wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:39 pmThat is simply not working this way, and I have nothing against ones that will leave
The idea of the internet is to spread information, not making profit. If maintenance cost is a problem to you then also consider closing your website instead.
mll wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:39 pmThe script itself works
In theory. Practically a lot of things are classified as "uses AD blocker" for it, even if neither a generic AD blocker was used, nor "the" AD blocker. I've encountered this numerous times just because I allow almost nothing thru uMatrix and websites mostly insist I should switch off something which I don't even use (that's the irony: I already switched off most things). And when I turn off JS entirely for your website I'm not even bothered with that nag message to begin with and can browse your board freely.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
spaceace

Post by spaceace »

mll wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:19 pm Hi.
There is a script to block adblock users, and it is on this site https://blockadblock.com/.
However, when I add it in overal header or footer I am getting error Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token '}'

This is my forum link: https://forum.mllapan.com/

Is there an solution for this?
well, even https://blockadblock.com/ cannot stop the functions of uBlock Origin to block ads as well as block the anti ad blocker scripts. even though it's supposed to :lol: as mentioned above, when most people get hit with an anti ad block page, they simply move on. i for one hate ads, they do nothing for me, and certainly do not entice me to spend my time or money. the only ads that even remotely interest me are movie/show previews as i watch a lot of movies. i have a nice sony stereo in my truck that i don't even use the tuner on because i hate ads that much and only listen to usb or satellite radio. my theory is, if you can't afford it, don't do it. web hosting is not that expensive. i'm unable to work due to health issues and forced to live off my wife's fixed income and am pretty much completely broke all the time but still pay my yearly hosting.

in the end, i can freely browse your site with that script in place making all of your effort undone in about 2 seconds. don't misinterpret this as an act against you or your site but just as some info from someone who hates ads
timeforhelp1

Post by timeforhelp1 »

https://www.getadmiral.com/

You can get a script to measure how many are adblocking etc, you can also block them as well with the 'engage' link in your dashboard, it says you have to pay but somehow it's free, it is for me.

Ad blocking in my personal opinion is disgusting, especially if you do it to the smaller sites like for instance our sites on here, we're not making millions are we.

I get that some sites like the newspaper sites take the p with some serious spammy and tons of ads, in the UK at least they are really bad,but why stop a website/forum that you go on for fun, info etc like most of us on phpbb here revenue.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

timeforhelp1 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:35 pmwhy stop a website
Ads eat my bandwidth before they're able to achieve anything, and ads can also spread malware.

It's like asking "We've been friends for a long time - why don't you let me rub my penis against your face?" - that's just two different matters put into one, and not everybody will agree on both together. Just like with ads you have to expect people to end the friendship immediately and permanently when a dick shows up.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
Deactivated 1950056

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

AmigoJack wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:38 am
timeforhelp1 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:35 pmwhy stop a website
Ads eat my bandwidth before they're able to achieve anything, and ads can also spread malware.
There's a site that I go on a lot but I block the ads. While the site is a legitimate site that has a phpBB board and their ad service is by a legitimate company, plenty of malicious advertisements have gotten through their attempts to weed them out, and they have done some pretty malicious things, like downloading malware to my device or attempting to, impersonating my ISP, survey scams, etc. At best, those are extremely annoying when my browser is hijacked and at worst a major security risk. On that site, it is such a major problem that they have a topic for people to report each time they've encountered one and provide a url.

Blocking their ads is common sense in that situation.
THIS ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER IN USE AND IS DEPRECIATED!
timeforhelp1

Post by timeforhelp1 »

I get the malicious ads thing, I unfortunately served some many moons ago when I was testing revenue streams.
I only use Google, Teads, justpremium and sovrn in various guises.

Before, the minute some of the ads were dodgy I would leave them, but that is me.
It's only very poor adservers that have dodgy ads, which I have found out in my youth days on the net.

If a site gets the odd one or 2 then they need to look at themselves in the mirror, there are plenty of good alternatives out there and plenty like Google.

I actually was looking round the web at various phpbb boards, yes I googled powered by phpbb lol, I like to look at how they are run etc and there is one board that has a thread in its site announcements forum where you can report malicious ads to the admins who will then pass it on to his advertising company lol, I mean come on, you're using a scumbag advertiser what the hell, how to treat your users eh.

So anyway, you can't surf the net with a tin hat on screwing people over, and to use using an ad blocker as an excuse for dodgy ads is lame, just as 'it's my bandwidth' blah blah is.

EDIT:Just re-read your post lol, could be the same site double lol, why would you visit shit like that, admin must be a numpty, also, gis the link see if it Is the same site, how weird.

Generally can't rem what site it was, but summin tells me it might be sport related.
On that site, it is such a major problem that they have a topic for people to report each time they've encountered one and provide a url.
Deactivated 1950056

timeforhelp1 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:17 pm
No, it's not sports related. I stupidly posted the site here, but I just removed it. I'm going to block those advertisements regardless of your opinion, and they do use Google as their ad service so it's not an illegitimate or shady company.
Last edited by Deactivated 1950056 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

timeforhelp1 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:17 pmI get the malicious ads thing, I unfortunately served some many moons ago when I was testing revenue streams.
What? You knew that right away before I picked up that point? And still ask why people should not swallow what is shoved into their throat? I miss the old times when ads were only static pictures (before they started to animate, before Flash came along).
timeforhelp1 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:17 pmI googled powered by phpbb lol, I like to look at how they are run etc and there is one board that has a thread
I'm curious, since phpBB never had threads - actually you're longer a member here than me and should know better. Letting go of details and precision is one way to live, but not mine. I can only assume that concepts like online advertizing only make sense when not looking close enough at all that. Again: the internet's purpose is not making money - stop using phpBB, because that comes free without any ads, not fitting your philosophy.
timeforhelp1 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:17 pmyou can't surf the net with a tin hat on screwing people over, and to use using an ad blocker as an excuse for dodgy ads is lame, just as 'it's my bandwidth' blah blah is.
For me it's simply control: either I have it, or things won't happen. But I experienced an overwhelming majority that does not even want control. As if it was a burden or nuisance. As if they need commands and guidance.

Can you even imagine that I live without TV for 6 years already? Without any mobile/smartphone ever? How much ads (and loss of control) I avoid by just that? How I assume you're so used to ads that you think yourself "a bit more is still okay"?
Deactivated 1950056

AmigoJack wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:01 pmAnd still ask why people should not swallow what is shoved into their throat?
I like your metaphor. :D In all seriousness, I agree, I am not going to put my computer at risk if I don't have to and not all sites have an ad free subscription that can be paid for nor are all sites worth spending money on.

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”