Failed upgrade from 3.2 to 3.3

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
jhearcht2

Failed upgrade from 3.2 to 3.3

Post by jhearcht2 »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.4
What is your board's URL? http://enformationism.info/phpBB3/
Who do you host your board with? BlueHost
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? Prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL i
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I've been chatting with BlueHost and phpBB3 support for the last three weeks, since the host upgraded to PHP7.4, and my blog logo disappeared. As suggested, I decided to update phpBB3 from 3.2 to 3.3. After several failed attempts to install the new forum, it appeared that the database was a problem. So, the BlueHost support created a new database for my site. I can't remember all the changes and failed attempts since then. But the installer files have been uploaded for the third time. And the specified old files substituted for uploaded files.
Please describe your problem. The latest attempt to login to << enformationism.info/phpBB3/install >> gives a Debug error message beginning with << [phpBB Debug] "include(/home1/enformat/public_html/phpBB3/vendor/composer/. >>. I can post a screen shot if needed. A previous attempt gave this error message : << argument "7" doesn't exist >>.
Generated by SRT Generator
Last edited by jhearcht2 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkDHamill

Re: Failed upgrade from 3.2 to 3.3

Post by MarkDHamill »

I would suggest reuploading the vendor folder. It's possible some files or folders got missed contributing to the problem.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. eBook and paper versions available.
jhearcht2

Post by jhearcht2 »

Thanks, but Vendor dir on the host has all the same files as the upgrade package on my hard drive.

Just in case though, I deleted the online dir and re-uploaded the Vendor files from hard drive.

Now when I go the forum URL, I still get a blank page. I don't even get an error message.

Config.php says << 'phpBB_installed', true >> So I assume the installer completed the installation.

So, the upgrade has failed for the third or fourth time . . . I lose track . . . for various reasons.

Forum URL : http://enformationism.info/phpBB3/
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Fixing HTTP errors can be hard, but it helps to know where to look. There is usually an interface in your web host control panel. Look for a PHP error log. A HTTP error log probably won't show PHP errors so isn't likely to give you enough information to troubleshoot the problem.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. eBook and paper versions available.
jhearcht2

Post by jhearcht2 »

MarkDHamill wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:05 pm
Fixing HTTP errors can be hard, but it helps to know where to look. There is usually an interface in your web host control panel. Look for a PHP error log. A HTTP error log probably won't show PHP errors so isn't likely to give you enough information to troubleshoot the problem.
BlueHost found a PHP500 error, but that's too general to be of much help

Just got this from BlueHost :
As per the server error log: given below is the error:
#0 /home1/enformat/public_html/phpBB3/phpbb/di/extension/core.php(78): Symfony\Component\DependencyInjection\Definition->getArgument(7)
#1 /home1/enformat/public_html/phpBB3/vendor/symfony/dependency-injection/Compiler/MergeExtensionConfigurationPass.php(71): phpbb\di\extension\core->load(Array, Object(Symfony\Component\DependencyInjection\Compiler\MergeExtensionConfigurationContainerBuilder))
#2 /home1/enformat/public_html/phpBB3/vendor/symfony/http-kernel/DependencyInjection/MergeExtensionConfigurationPass.php(39): Symfony\Component\DependencyInjection\Compiler\MergeExtensionConfigurationPass->process(Object(Symfony\Component\DependencyInjection\ContainerBuilder))
#3 /home1/enformat/public_html/phpBB3/vendor/symfony/dependency-injection/Compiler/Compiler.php(140): Symfony\Component\HttpKernel\D in /home1/enformat/public_html/phpBB3/vendor/symfony/dependency-injection/Definition.php on line 312
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Are there lines before this? There is usually a line that shows what program blew up and on what line.
jhearcht2

Post by jhearcht2 »

MarkDHamill wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:14 pm
Are there lines before this? There is usually a line that shows what program blew up and on what line.
BlueHost found this :

As per the logs, the issue is with the code in line # 312 in the file Definition.php.
P_I

Post by P_I »

jhearcht2 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:34 pm
As suggested, I decided to update phpBB3 from 3.2 to 3.3. After several failed attempts to install the new forum, it appeared that the database was a problem.
What procedure did you follow to upgrade from phpBB 3.2 to 3.3? The recommended procedure is https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade32/.

Does the old database from phpBB 3.2 still exist or do you have backups?
jhearcht2 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:26 pm
Can you double-check that URL. Generally the phpBB3 directory contains the phpBB package installation and isn't used as the board root directory.

If you still have the file and database backups from your phpBB 3.2 install, you can change the PHP version on Bluehost by adding a line like

Code: Select all

<IfModule mime_module>
  AddHandler application/x-httpd-ea-php72 .php .php7 .phtml
</IfModule>
to your .htaccess file in the board root folder.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

jhearcht2 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:25 pm
MarkDHamill wrote:
BlueHost found this :

As per the logs, the issue is with the code in line # 312 in the file Definition.php.
I was hoping for the phpBB program name and line number that failed, which won't be a program in the vendor folder.

There may be an error_log or similar file in your phpBB root folder with PHP errors. If in the ACP, there may be one in the /adm folder for ACP errors.
jhearcht2

Post by jhearcht2 »

P_I wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:32 pm
What procedure did you follow to upgrade from phpBB 3.2 to 3.3? The recommended procedure is https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade32/.

Does the old database from phpBB 3.2 still exist or do you have backups?
jhearcht2 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:26 pm
Can you double-check that URL. Generally the phpBB3 directory contains the phpBB package installation and isn't used as the board root directory.

If you still have the file and database backups from your phpBB 3.2 install, you can change the PHP version on Bluehost by adding a line like

<IfModule mime_module>
  AddHandler application/x-httpd-ea-php72 .php .php7 .phtml
</IfModule>
to your .htaccess file in the board root folder.
[/quote]
I followed the recommended procedure.
I have a backup from last year.
I have now removed the Install dir, but that didn't make any difference.
What should be URL include beyond << http://enformationism.info/phpBB3/ >>?
During Install the URL added : <<Install/app.php >>
The BlueHost Support has tried a variety of PHP versions, but that made little difference. I kept getting the error message about the PHP version.
jhearcht2

Post by jhearcht2 »

MarkDHamill wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:41 pm
I was hoping for the phpBB program name and line number that failed, which won't be a program in the vendor folder.

There may be an error_log or similar file in your phpBB root folder with PHP errors. If in the ACP, there may be one in the /adm folder for ACP errors.
I don't see an error in the << /adm >> folder. But then I don't know what I'm looking for.

I've chatted with a dozen different support people on BlueHost, and they found some errors in addition to the ones I got when going to the URL in my browser. One error referred to << argument 7 >>.

During the install phase, the errors kept saying that BB3.3 was not compatible with the current PHP version. But rolling that back didn't help. It now seems to be at least partially installed, but I don't what made the difference. Does the blank screen indicate that the URL << http://enformationism.info/phpBB3/ >> is wrong?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

If the PHP version is a possible reason, it's easy enough to write a little script to show PHP's configuration:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>
P_I

Post by P_I »

The OP might want to read https://www.bluehost.com/help/article/p ... -selection to understand there are PHP version choices available at Bluehost and how to configure them.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
jhearcht2

Post by jhearcht2 »

MarkDHamill wrote:
BlueHost support looked at the error message above, that ended with << line 312 >>, and said there was a syntax error. Here's their reply "

<< There is a code throw new OutOfBoundsException(sprintf('The argument "%s" doesn't exist.', $index)); on line 312 and showing error >>

<< I could also see that the error shows syntax error, unexpected 't' (T_STRING), expecting ',' or ')' >>

BlueHost is still working on their end, but this seems to be a syntax error in phpBB3.3 update software.

Note : a previous error mentioned << argument 7 >>

Note : Today, I found that my root dir was set on PHP5.6, while all my other pages were on PHP7.4. My root is now set on PHP7.2. But when I go to the URL it's still blank.

Since the glitch seems to be in the phpBB3 install software, have others had similar problems? This has been going on for a month.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

jhearcht2 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:33 pm
Note : Today, I found that my root dir was set on PHP5.6, while all my other pages were on PHP7.4. My root is now set on PHP7.2. But when I go to the URL it's still blank.
Mixing php versions is a recipe for failure. Use 1 php version for your whole board.
jhearcht2 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:33 pm
Since the glitch seems to be in the phpBB3 install software, have others had similar problems? This has been going on for a month.
I (and others) have upgraded and updated countless phpBB boards using the update/grade instructions.

I suggest you start all over again, but on a personal webserver and follow the upgrade instructions using the full package.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”