MS SQL - back up to remote

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
tplowe

MS SQL - back up to remote

Post by tplowe »

Is there software that will allow me to backup my MS SQL database to one of my local drives?

I'm using Readyhosting which doesn't allow conventional backups through the phpBB GUI.

I've tried some shareware like DBsolo & SQL Admin studio, but neither seem to do what I want. Readyhosting techs are only allowed to discuss Enterprise Manager which is out of the question due to it's price.

Don't tell me to switch hosts, (not yet) I'd like to explore my options at Readyhosting first, although I might switch down the road.
UTIWebmaster

Post by UTIWebmaster »

I'm using MySQL 4.0.something-or-rather, and it, someplace, should give you the availability to dump a backup. Even if it's to a localhost drive/ folder/ directory, you can just FTP it outta there faster than Kirk and his away team beating rump off of hostile terrain.

poke around and look for something tagged... ah... "Backup"
< --- Now... Who wants to take Ant out fer some Guiness?? --- >
tplowe

Post by tplowe »

I'm on MS SQL, so I don't think anything written specifically for MySQL will do the job. Not sure, I'm a Noob at this.
nycore

Post by nycore »

I assume you cant telnet into the server and mysql dump? I have a server that does mysql dump daily and tosses it onto another server so I have weeks worth of backups automated.
who_cares

Re: MS SQL - back up to remote

Post by who_cares »

tplowe wrote: Is there software that will allow me to backup my MS SQL database to one of my local drives?

I'm using Readyhosting which doesn't allow conventional backups through the phpBB GUI.

I've tried some shareware like DBsolo & SQL Admin studio, but neither seem to do what I want. Readyhosting techs are only allowed to discuss Enterprise Manager which is out of the question due to it's price.

Don't tell me to switch hosts, (not yet) I'd like to explore my options at Readyhosting first, although I might switch down the road.

Yes, In the admin panel there is a link "backup database"
it will let you download your database
tplowe

Post by tplowe »

Yes,

Since I'm on MS SQL I seem to be limited by settings determined by Readyhosting. I wish could just do something similar to an FTP transfer.
who_cares

Post by who_cares »

I should add that I was talking about MySQL
tplowe

Re: MS SQL - back up to remote

Post by tplowe »

who_cares wrote:
tplowe wrote:Is there software that will allow me to backup my MS SQL database to one of my local drives?

Yes, In the admin panel there is a link "backup database"
it will let you download your database

For some reason on my server it won't allow the backup through the phpBB GUI. It says "Sorry, but database backups are not currently supported for your database system."
Last edited by tplowe on Thu May 12, 2005 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
who_cares

Post by who_cares »

who is your host
tplowe

Post by tplowe »

who_cares wrote: who is your host

I'm at Readyhosing which uses windows servers.
who_cares

Post by who_cares »

contact your host
ask them about allowing backups

you may want to try exporting you database with phpmyadmin

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”