[3.2][3.3][DEV] Extension Credits

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
Sniper_E
Name: Ed Humphrey

[3.2][3.3][DEV] Extension Credits

Post by Sniper_E »

Extension Name: Extension Credits

Author: Sniper_E

Extension Description: Showcase for extension credits above the footer.

Screenshot:
extcredits.gif
Image Image

Extension Download: extcredits_1.0.1.zip

Installation:
  1. Download the latest release and unzip content.
  2. Copy the contents to ext/sniper/extcredits/
  3. Enable extension in the ACP
Enjoy!
Last edited by Sniper_E on Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
No is NEVER an Option and NEVER is the only Option when it comes to Giving Up!
:!: Sniper_E Styles | phpbbmodders :!:
Talk19Zehn

Re: [3.2][3.3][DEV] Extension Credits

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello Sniper_E, okay, my first test: First friendly arguments.
In my opinion, the query in the CR container for the style author(s) is now missing. It is suggested that a design (style) could be created by phpBB-com and this is not always true. In my opinion it can be leads to conflicts.

* These can have different requirements from country to country and especially from one style to another. In addition, third party copyright, design rights and other intellectual property rights must be protected to avoid litigation.

The query from the style.cfg ... (?) ...
# General Information about this style
name =
copyright =

and *) further more information would be required at least depending on the individual case.
For example, in some of my styles, important CRs that affect third party rights have now been deleted / overwritten. As a style author, I must therefore disclaim any infringement of trademark rights, licences, etc. and exclude any liability on my part if extensions are used which infringe the rights of third parties.
Otherwise, style authors would have to modify the CR or this extension would have to support numerous style queries from the EXT developer.

Furthermore, phpBB-CRs are now displayed twice (CREDIT_LINE, TRANSLATION_INFO) if designers had rebuilt the overall_footer.html (standard-CRs).

In my opinion, the query of styles that can be listed and edited via ACP is missing.
Why?
I don't like to think that phpBB is not able to perform correct queries via events. :(

The authors of extensions should perhaps get used to not placing their CRs directly in the overall_footer.html but outputting it within their EXT (on click or when in use).
Or should all EXT authors rewrite their CRs, otherwise the container "page-footer-nocredits" will remain contentless, unless those EXT authors participate in this point?

In my opinion, phpBB is capable of creating such an EXT-CR container in CORE, which could be switched on by the operator (admin) at his own request.

Sad greetings

Edit: :)
Obviously, it is (the same) EXT authors who return in this way. Their extensions are to the detriment of those who adhere to CRs and licences, as the "page-footer" class is now overwritten per event, with other events and rules in it.
I think you can fix this design flaw.

Thanks!
Tread

Post by Tread »

Sniper_E

Post by Sniper_E »

@Talk19Zehn, let's talk.
You have come in here with your friendly arguments and trashed my extension.

There are so many discrepancies I could point out in your statements but we can save that for another time. And at that time maybe you can give a public retraction of your false statements.

But first... If you are going to test someone's extension then you need to download it first. You can get this extension for testing on the first post in this topic.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Sniper_E wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:06 am Note:
  1. All extension credits need to be placed in /event/overall_footer_copyright_append.html template.
  2. Some extension authors used the overall_footer_copyright_prepend.html template for their credits.
  3. Rename their overall_footer_copyright_prepend. Change _prepend to _append then clear server cache.
This is a no-no. Find a solution. ;)

Also. I haven't downloaded nor tested/checked this code, but one thing is for sure: I as a writer care that at least BOTs and guests should see and read my credits. Otherwise this extension makes no sense. If this is already contemplated in the code then fine, I don't have time to have to figure it out myself.
-------------------------------------------
@Talk19Zehn I think you're in the wrong topic or haven't understood the point of this, I wish I was wrong. Also it's hard for me to follow your reasoning, maybe you could summarise it in focused points. :|
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello Sniper_E, please allow me to answer.

It is by no means so that I do not give your extension goodsheet. I apologize, since I did not want to criticize the work. I only mentioned for these occurrences to find a solution. The point is that I think they should be declared and structured differently.
The meaning of the extension is not escaped to me and find people who relocate the ext-credits is good and right. However, there are conflicts as mentioned.
The event used in my opinion is unsuitable because the overall_footer.html needs to be renewed in the logic of its structure, a standard is used, the parts overwrites or not queried.

It may be related to the instructions in listener.php ( maybe 'core.page_header' => 'page_header', (?) .... ).
There must be other ways to avoid this if possible, that overall_footer.html has to be renewed and the credits placed somewhere else. Perhaps rewriting the statement in listener.php would be a better approach to use this event: <!-- EVENT overall_footer_after --> ?

Examples from my test board: Some graphics
A*) with EXT
B*) without EXT
withandwithoutEXTcredits_1.jpg
withandwithoutEXTcredits_2.jpg
withandwithoutEXTcredits_3.jpg

A solution to this problem would be awesome. Thanks and best regards.
MattF
Extensions Development Coordinator
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by MattF »

Why doesn't this extension just load the metadata from all enabled extensions using the extension metadata manager class to get the names and authors of installed extensions? I don't see this ext actually doing anything.

Also PLEASE DO NOT store your ext version as a config variable. It's never used, nor is it a configuration variable. If you ever need to use your version in your code it should be declared as a constant.
Formerly known as VSEMy ExtensionsPlease do not PM me for support.
david63

Post by david63 »

MattF wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:38 pm Why doesn't this extension just load the metadata from all enabled extensions using the extension metadata manager class to get the names and authors of installed extensions?
You mean like this? viewtopic.php?f=501&t=2513176

Incidentally this is not abandoned but nobody seems able to unabandon it!
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Post by ssl »

david63 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:51 pm Incidentally this is not abandoned but nobody seems able to unabandon it!
Good extension
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.10 | PHP: 8.2.1
[GitHub] - [Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]
Sniper_E

Post by Sniper_E »

MattF wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:38 pm Why doesn't this extension just load the metadata from all enabled extensions using the extension metadata manager class to get the names and authors of installed extensions?

I don't see this ext actually doing anything.
David63 already has a nice extension that loads from all enabled extensions using the extension metadata manager class. Also SpaceAce has a nice extension that shows all enabled extensions in a dropdown on the index page. I did not see the need to reinvent what these guys already have.

This extension will only grab the credits that any author has placed in the footer. And what this extension does is pulls the credits out of the footer and places them in a showcase above the footer. This cleans up the clutter in the footer with all those credits in it.
MattF wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:38 pm Also PLEASE DO NOT store your ext version as a config variable. It's never used, nor is it a configuration variable. If you ever need to use your version in your code it should be declared as a constant.
Yes I understand that now and have removed the version from the config table. Thank you for that in site. I was following the way other extension developers were doing it. It looks like they need to follow your suggestion also.

Thank you for your comments MattF, very helpful!

The next version will have acp options to place the credits in the statistics also. In a showcase frame or not. I actually like that option the best.
ac_roma

Post by ac_roma »

nice one

Return to “Extensions in Development”