[2.0.11] Page Encoding

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
36%
Very Good
7%
Good
21%
Fair
7%
Poor
29%

Total votes: 14

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[2.0.11] Page Encoding

Post by Extensions Robot »

MOD Name: Page Encoding
Author: billytcf
MOD Description: Change the default page encoding of phpBB2 to utf-8

MOD Version: 1.0.0

Download File: Default Encoding.mod
mods overview page: View
File Size: 1879 Bytes

Security Score: 0
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
This MOD changes the page encoding of phpBB to UTF-8 instead of iso-8859-1, which is the default for phpBB, so that it works better when displaying Chinese characters
Eric
darakhshan

Post by darakhshan »

I have a persian board right to left
phpbb version 8 when I change it the page does not show up and it is all blank
Dr. dre

Post by Dr. dre »

So what will the file name will be?
sonyboy

Post by sonyboy »

I just installed this MOD then went to my forum and the Encoding is not utf-8, is this because I'm running on localhost?

EDIT - Nevermind, I got it.
ScuL

Post by ScuL »

There are 2 issues that this mod doesn't solve and are most probably impossible to solve with a mod.

What it does is changing your encoding character set...

Now if your server happens to have a default encoding character set in it's configuration files (i.e. apache.conf ) that will overrule the set handed to the browser by this mod and stil display the page in ISO8xxx (or whatever it is set to).

Second: It does change the encoding of the page if this is default isn't set but the contents of the database were entered using the previous character set which means that some messages in accents (for instance ä ö å ü ÿ ç etc) will show as garble. Not to talk about languages as Arab or Japanese.

I strongly recommend all forum-admins to install this mod before you open a forum to the users.

If anybody knows how to convert database-contents to UTF-8 in a easy manner please let me know.
ian!

Post by ian! »

ScuL wrote: If anybody knows how to convert database-contents to UTF-8 in a easy manner please let me know.

I'm working on a script that does this. I'll make it public if it's tested well enough. If you'd like to test it too drop me a mail and I'll send it to you so that you can test it on a copy of your board too.
billytcf

Post by billytcf »

thanks for you guys' replies.

Indeed I wrote this MOD originally for forums using Traditional Chinese Characters.

Yea I found the same problem as described by ScuL, indeed I install this before opening a forum.

Anyw my skills aren't that good can't solve many problems :?
~ Billy Tse ~
darakhshan

Post by darakhshan »

I have the same problem, My board now is well known with a lot of posts
but I need to change my charset to UTF-8
I need to do that to my database, any body has any Idea how I can do it
and what is the risk?

Is this easy to do? can I reverse the problem without the need to backup and restore the data from the backup?

I am puzzeled :cry:
ScuL

Post by ScuL »

what I did was using the mySQL replace command to replace all the old characters by unicode accepted characters.

this becomes a problem when you aren´t talking about european (western characters) but asian like chinese or japanese. they are very hard to convert.. unfortunately
darakhshan

Post by darakhshan »

ScuL wrote: what I did was using the mySQL replace command to replace all the old characters by unicode accepted characters.

this becomes a problem when you aren´t talking about european (western characters) but asian like chinese or japanese. they are very hard to convert.. unfortunately

mySQL replace command ?

where can I get the tutorial please? have no Idea :?:
ScuL

Post by ScuL »

Here is more information on the command
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/replace.html

But it means you have to manually find the equals for unicode characters with a unicode-text converter, and then replace every character using a smart script :)
darakhshan

Post by darakhshan »

there is a software called

emeditor
http://www.emeditor.com/

after downloading the database, I open it and then save it with utf-8
it seems allright to me but have no guts to upload the new one into my server.

Isn't this the solution?
pichirichi

IMPORTANT INFO: UTF-8 - not that simple.

Post by pichirichi »

I've just upgraded to UTF-8 after my hosting "forced" me, they've upgraded the MySql and shifted the entire data.

Here are some tips regarding utf-8/unicode:
  1. Edit all the lang files and save them as utf-8 (you can use UltraEdit for that, use the convert option).
  2. Edit all e-mailslocated in the lang directory, replace the charset and save them as utf-8 (you can use ultraedit here as well).

Code: Select all

Charset: utf-8
    There is an issue with the subject line (some charecters disappear, still looking for resolution).
  3. You need to convert the database data to utf-8.
    This can be done in few manners:
    1. lock the forum in the ACP for updates, export the data. convert the exported file to utf-8 (using an editor or a convert program). refresh the data.
    2. MySql commands - version 4.1.x come with several new features regarding charecter set handling.
      Columns COLLATE and CHARACTER should be defined.

ALTER TABLE `test table` CHANGE `a` `a` VARCHAR( 10 ) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL
      This command will alter the data stored in the column, there is a batch command that can be used for this process.
  4. You got to use phpMyAdmin that support utf-8.
  5. after the connect to db command the following code should be added:

//
    // Set charecters set parameters according to MySql version.
    //
    $result = mysql_query('SELECT VERSION()') or die('Query failed: ' . mysql_error());
    $mysql_version = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC);
    list($mysql_version_majour,$mysql_version_minor,$mysql_version_patch) = split('\.',$mysql_version['VERSION()']);
    if (($mysql_version_majour >=4) && ($mysql_version_minor>=1))
    {
    	$result = mysql_query('SET character_set_client = utf8') or die('Query failed: ' . mysql_error());
    	$result = mysql_query('SET character_set_results = utf8') or die('Query failed: ' . mysql_error());
    	$result = mysql_query('SET character_set_connection = utf8') or die('Query failed: ' . mysql_error());
    }

6. Special charecters: there are some charecters used by MOD developers that translate into gibrish when using utf-8.
    i.e. "»" that usualy used for won't be displayed correctly on utf-8, this sign should be replaced in tpl files or php code. It can be changed to

»
  7. String manipulation such as substr command won't work with multi byte/utf-8.
    Cutting charecters depends on how many bytes they occupied, try to read on that php site in the comment area about this issue. You should define an encoding string based on the encoding you want to use. the best way would be to use the parameter defined in $lang['ENCODING'] however the value in this parameter is set in a later stage. In the extension.inc file define:

mb_internal_encoding('UTF-8');
    Note: There are some updates regarding the return values from the mb lib functions.
    ie. mb_string() returns empty _string_, when function substr() returns _boolean_ false in this case.
  8. MB lib - there is a server parameter that provide the ability to automaticly override all the relevant string functions with MultiByte functions. Read on PhpNet about it.
    If you'll set the parameter mbstring.func_overload in the php.ini to 7 you won't need to change and replace all the string functions. For those who don't have permitions to update the php.ini you can override the value in the .htaccess file with this code line:

php_value mbstring.func_overload 7
    Note: phpMyAdmin is not set to work with "mbstring.func_overload" and some errors occures if it is defined in global level (I've noticed some errors in inserting text strings), there for I recommend to use the .htaccess option for override.

php_value mbstring.func_overload 7
    The string functions that the override covers automaticly are:
    • mail() => mb_send_mail()
    • strlen() => mb_strlen()
    • strpos() => mb_strpos()
    • strrpos() => mb_strrpos()
    • substr() => mb_substr()
    • strtolower() => mb_strtolower()
    • strtoupper() => mb_strtoupper()
    • substr_count() => mb_substr_count()
    • ereg() => mb_ereg()
    • eregi() => mb_eregi()
    • ereg_replace() => mb_ereg_replace()
    • eregi_replace() => mb_eregi_replace()
    • split() => mb_split()
    The following functions won't function with multi byte:
    • preg_replace() should e replaced with mb_eregi_replace().
    • htmlspecialchars() should be updated to htmlspecialchars ( string string,[int quote_style],“UTF-8” )
    • preg_split() can be replaced with mb_split() but if the flag parameter is set a different solution should be applied.
    • htmlentities() should be updated to htmlentities ( string string,[int quote_style],“UTF-8” )
    • explode() should be replaced with mb_split().
  9. highlight on Search - no working on UTF-8, I'm still looking into this issue.
Last edited by pichirichi on Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:29 am, edited 11 times in total.
hayk

Post by hayk »

I would match 3 basic problems in phpBB unicode port development:
1. Replacing all string functions on similar from MBS extension - mb_*. That's the main problem. Besides regular expressions incorrectly work with utf-8 text.
2. Converting of language’s files to utf-8 encoding.
3. Converting and adaptation DB (f/e adding of complementary fields).
I've done it. You can exam it here.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”