For those that use gmail for forum email

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Alison V

For those that use gmail for forum email

Post by Alison V »

I just got a second notice from Google that indicates they will not be allowing less secure sign-in using just a username and password. I'm assuming this means using gmail in the forum will not work anymore due to this simple sign-in attempt? Is that correct? Here's the information. https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... 0255?hl=en
david63

Re: For those that use gmail for forum email

Post by david63 »

Alison V wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:37 am I'm assuming this means using gmail in the forum will not work anymore due to this simple sign-in attempt? Is that correct?
I think that you may be misreading this.

The way that I read it is that if you are trying to login to your Google account from somewhere else that is what they are blocking - not using a gmail email account on your board.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

If you read down in the "Fix Problems" section, it talks about "App Passwords" that should work. It requires two step verification, so you'll probably have to trigger a test email to validate it the first time.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Alison V wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:37 amusing gmail in the forum will not work anymore due to this simple sign-in attempt?
Depends: sending emails in phpBB happens either thru SMTP (but without supporting OAuth2 as authentication method, so you're stuck with Google in the future), or thru the less reliable direct approach which doesn't need any login (but that mostly only works when using your own email account instead of relying on third party providers).
Noxwizard wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:51 pmIt requires two step verification, so you'll probably have to trigger a test email to validate it the first time.
How and where is phpBB supposed to call back so one is able to submit any second step?

When using an email client, such as Thunderbird, you're now forced to use OAuth2, too: as per https://www.reddit.com/r/Thunderbird/co ... n/hzb07kj/ it works, but also only by enabling cookies and by having software which can render/display websites for this additional interaction, to then store/remember that data and not asking for it anew each time you want to fetch new emails.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

AmigoJack wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:07 am
Noxwizard wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:51 pmIt requires two step verification, so you'll probably have to trigger a test email to validate it the first time.
How and where is phpBB supposed to call back so one is able to submit any second step?
It's not something phpBB would do, but whoever owns the Gmail account. It's been a while since I've set up an App Password, but I believe the workflow is something like:
  1. Enable 2-step verification
  2. Set up App Password
  3. Set phpBB to use new App Password
  4. Trigger an email sending event in phpBB. Email will get rejected.
  5. Gmail sends an email to the account indicating a new login has been detected that needs approval
  6. User approves the login
  7. phpBB can now send emails using that password
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.
Alison V

Post by Alison V »

*Possible chosen solution*

Noxwizard wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:54 pm
AmigoJack wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:07 am How and where is phpBB supposed to call back so one is able to submit any second step?
It's not something phpBB would do, but whoever owns the Gmail account. It's been a while since I've set up an App Password, but I believe the workflow is something like:
  1. Enable 2-step verification
  2. Set up App Password
  3. Set phpBB to use new App Password
  4. Trigger an email sending event in phpBB. Email will get rejected.
  5. Gmail sends an email to the account indicating a new login has been detected that needs approval
  6. User approves the login
  7. phpBB can now send emails using that password
We'll find out come May 30th when apparently this goes the way of OAuth/2FA or what ever.

Yeah, I'm very familiar at having to use OAuth for Yahoo and Gmail in Thunderbird. I reserve the right to complain about what I call a privacy invasion in exchange for a little "security."

2FA is like that actually unless you use Aegis 2FA or something. I really have no idea if Aegis lives up to its name on that front though.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”