Migration and Update.. Extension hard block....

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Ideas Centre
rec9140

Migration and Update.. Extension hard block....

Post by rec9140 »

This is sort of a two fold situation....

Migration of servers... WHM/CPanel pricing changes have priced me out... so I am moving to a new server with DirectAdmin....

Which leads to the elephant in the room, phpbb...

OK, so its not 100% exactly phpbb entirely... The MAIN SITE with phpbb absolutely relies on an extension, Form Creator, https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... rm_creator which is not even supported for 3.2, let alone 3.3... and it doesn't appear that the fork of this Forms Creator is available and/or would work with 3.3....https://phpbb.pro/forms the user has not been seen in basically 6months... and the site is 404's for that software, although the demo lives on as a zombie....

So... to the point... IS there 3.3 compatible replacement for this Form Creator ( https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... rm_creator ) ????? Searches don't seem to turn up any replacements.. this was sort of the LONE SOLUTION to my problem at the original setup time....

I can even do some thing that would take my self created php form and then submit it to the proper forum, but that raises issues in re security. You can't do squat on the forum if you are not registered.. The only other method if I upgrade to phpbb 3.3 on the new server is that I would have to take the php form via email, then MANUALLY POST it to the forum, that is so 1990's, and really defeats the point of the automation... otherwise I will likely go with my other plan..

This forum does not work with out this form for users to fill in REQUIRED DATA... Users do not follow instructions in stickys, or templates... they just dump 1 bit of the information.. the form REQUIRES THEY FILL IN THE NEEDED info and my team loves it! Don't have to ask 50 questions to get the data needed, solution posted in hours versus this drawn out post, reply, post cycle...

So ANY THING OUT THERE to

1) Either place the Form Creator

2) Php form to post the appropriate forum
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Re: Migration and Update.. Extension hard block....

Post by Prosk8er »

dmzx updated that mod to a extension for phpbb 3.2.x https://www.dmzx-web.net/viewtopic.php? ... hilit=form
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

In all likelihood, the extension could be made to work with 3.3.x. But the place to ask that is in the extension support topic.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Prosk8er wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:39 am dmzx updated that mod to a extension for phpbb 3.2.x https://www.dmzx-web.net/viewtopic.php? ... hilit=form
Thanks!

Hmmm.. interesting.. I am on 3.2.0, and the form works, but not php 7 on that server.. hmmm...I know I never touched it since install... hmmmm.....

Does that apply to 3.3.8? too or just 3.2.x?????

Which opens the can of worms, on MIGRATING phpbb from 3.2 to 3.3.8??? And the best way to do that????? Can't login to that site, appears my user was deleted so can't recover a password.... and can' re-register, can view some security code it wants.. nothing visible to match, meh, to check the replies in the thread about that at the dmzx site to see if 3.3.x is supported.. :evil: :twisted:

New install on the new host and move the DB?????????????? I am really not inclined to mess with the current forum, backups or not, you don't futz with what ain't broke... it works, and if I can't move this... then... well so be it.. I really don't want to go with plan z but if that is what it takes, then so be it.

Some guidance on the best plan to move this from old to new server and get the newest version of phpBB...

I guess I can whip up a dead end testing server to put 3.3.8 on and install the extension to see if blows up....

Is there a link some one has for the dependencies in php for Ubuntu 20.04???

ie: sudo apt-get install imagemagik php-package1 php-package2... so I can preform the server to have the requirements for phpBB on php 7.4

Thanks!
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Prosk8er wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:39 am dmzx updated that mod to a extension for phpbb 3.2.x https://www.dmzx-web.net/viewtopic.php? ... hilit=form
Unfortunately it appears this does NOT WORK with 3.3.8... sigh.... urrhghghghs.. sigh...
It installs, I can setup a form, the "form mode" button doesn't appear on the new topic like in the existing forum...

Any one got a working user/pass that can look in the forum on that site to see if there is any solutions in there for 3.3.?

I guess I can try it in another forum with 3.2.11 or something ... but hmmm

I EDITED a form in the EXISTING FORUM.. added a field... went to that forum, new topic, form mode, new field shows up

CREATED A NEW FORUM for testing, new form, added a couple test fields, forum, new topic, NO BUTTON.

PURGED the phpbb cache, no joy, no change. no button.
Logged out, in, no joy
tried a different browser, login, forum, new topic, no joy - no button..

There doesn't seem to be the needed "code" in the source to add the button etc.. so looks like no joy on this... sigh..... I see if I can find some time to give this a whirl in 3.2.11 at least, to be closer to update... sigh... but alternate plan juliet is looking like the route more and more, was really hoping to not go that route, but...

Any input, ideas?? Nope, the form is required, users just don't provide the details needed for our forum without it....
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Welp... KABOOOM!

That 3.2.11 won't work, as it won't work on PHP7.4, and servers are all now 7.4

So can't move the site to the new server with older PHPbb....

So I guess I am back to my only option now... sigh...

Return to “Extension Requests”