ACP tabs not working and PM error message

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
fpena911

ACP tabs not working and PM error message

Post by fpena911 »

Last year I ran into a problem where clicking on my inbox was redirecting me to the index page of my forum:

viewtopic.php?t=2605141

I don't remember exactly what I did but I was able to resolve it. Well the problem cropped back up again so in the process of troubleshooting I was playing with different admin settings including the "System" tab where I modified the Inbox module but then saved it back to its default state.

Today I got a report from a user that anytime they try to access the inbox they get the following error screen:

General Error
Module not accessible

BACKTRACE

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions_module.php
LINE: 565
CALL: trigger_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/ucp.php
LINE: 440
CALL: p_master->load_active()

I expected to be able to go back into the ACP and see what everything looks like but instead each tab I click on just keeps me at the main ACP screen.

It appears something got corrupted and I'm not sure how to get out of this issue. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
MarkDHamill

Re: ACP tabs not working and PM error message

Post by MarkDHamill »

Try purging the cache. Like rebooting Windows, sometimes it will solve a mysterious problem. Worth a try.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Updating your board once a while can't harm it ;)
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
fpena911

Post by fpena911 »

MarkDHamill wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:04 am Try purging the cache. Like rebooting Windows, sometimes it will solve a mysterious problem. Worth a try.
I've done that both with Cloudflare and within phpBB. No luck yet.
janus_zonstraal wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:28 am Updating your board once a while can't harm it ;)
I'm using a modified theme so I was a bit hesitant to modify something that was still working properly. But I may be forced to upgrade now because of this issue.
david63

Post by david63 »

fpena911 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:24 pm Any ideas?
Restore the backup that you made before you made the changes. You have got a backup haven't you?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
fpena911

Post by fpena911 »

david63 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:40 pm
fpena911 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:24 pm Any ideas?
Restore the backup that you made before you made the changes. You have got a backup haven't you?
I do have backups but what if the change was made to the database? If so I don't want to lose the activity that took place since then.

So I have no issue restoring what I have in my file system. But unless I can isolate the restore to specific tables that don't affect the user experience, I'd rather not go that route unless that is the absolute last resort.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

fpena911 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:24 pm I do have backups but what if the change was made to the database? If so I don't want to lose the activity that took place since then.
Basically you're saying you don't have (a complete) backup.Yet there's a Knowledge Base containing info concerning many aspects of board maintenance (including backups).
Forum Backup Instructions
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
fpena911

Post by fpena911 »

warmweer wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:10 pm
fpena911 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:24 pm I do have backups but what if the change was made to the database? If so I don't want to lose the activity that took place since then.
Basically you're saying you don't have (a complete) backup.Yet there's a Knowledge Base containing info concerning many aspects of board maintenance (including backups).
Forum Backup Instructions
I have daily backups through cpanel that copy the file system and the database. They are stored over a 7-day rolling basis so I'm covered.

But my point is that the problem took place a couple of days ago, since this issue only affected my admin console there is still the usual level of activity and postings taking place within my forum. So my concern is that if I restore a backup, I lose the activity that has taken place.
fpena911

Post by fpena911 »

Well it has to be a setting on my database as I just updated my forum to 3.3.8 and the problem still exists.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Have a look into the _modules table from your database.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
fpena911

Post by fpena911 »

Just wanted to close this out...

Found out there were some caching modules causing issues from an ad platform.

I have a pretty complex environment with Wordpress and phpBB sharing one space. Going to reconfigure things to keep them in their own separate areas here soon to eliminate these types of issues.

Thanks everyone for helping with your suggestions!

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”