Email notifications suddenly not working

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Jx80

Email notifications suddenly not working

Post by Jx80 »

Email notifications for PMs received, users registering, changing passwords, etc are suddenly not sending as of this evening.

I'm using phpBB v3.3.3 and I have not changed any server settings or phpbb settings. I don't have any mods installed.

Email notifications are sent using the local mail function, not SMTP. Sending a "test email" via the admin panel email settings page only works like 20% of the time.

Not sure if my host (hostgator) is having problems with their mail server or there is an error in the software. Contacting their support solved nothing since they never know what's going on.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Re: Email notifications suddenly not working

Post by Kailey »

Jx80 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:57 am (hostgator)
[snip]
Contacting their support solved nothing since they never know what's going on.
Par for the course unfortunately for them. :roll:

Are you able to test emails with SMTP? Also, please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
Jx80

Post by Jx80 »

Kailey wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:06 am
Jx80 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:57 am (hostgator)
[snip]
Contacting their support solved nothing since they never know what's going on.
Par for the course unfortunately for them. :roll:

Are you able to test emails with SMTP? Also, please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
Thank you for the quick reply!

I just found out it's actually the host (hostgator) having issues. Their support twitter is filled with similar complaints from the past few hours. So I just have to wait at this point I guess.

I've already purchased a new hosting account elsewhere and will be migrating the site next week. All the downtime, outages, and problems lately have been too much to put up with. I highly recommend nobody uses hostgator, the last year has been quite a struggle with them.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

If you’ve changed nothing to cause a particular issue then someone/something else has and that generally points towards the host. I’ve seen dozens of cases lately, one only this week, where emails have stopped working even though the setup for PHP mail() was correct and in all the cases it’s the hosts fault. Half the time hosts really don’t have a clue how email works and you should definitely ask to speak to level two support or their manager. Many times it happens when a user updates or upgrades their board which then sends smoke signals towards it being not just a phpBB issue but other board software problem as well. You may find if you create enough noise with their support that miraculously email starts to function again.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”