[3.3][DEV] DB Auto Draft

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Get Involved
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
NeoDev
Name: Neo

[3.3][DEV] DB Auto Draft

Post by NeoDev »

Working on an extension to auto save draft messages to the database. Yes, I'm aware there is already an auto draft extension. That one stores the drafts in the browser's local storage. My extension integrates with phpBB's native draft system.

Try it if you want, no promises
GitHub
Download
draft_screenshot.png
Come for the comics, stay for the bad fish puns.
— The Cross Time Cafe
Fredisland
Name: Frédéric

Re: [3.3][DEV] DB Auto Draft

Post by Fredisland »

Hello NeoDev,

On the contrary, I think that this new idea of saving drafts would be an EXCELLENT idea. Mostly to fill a big gap in phpBB's default feature which only allows fetching drafts for the forums it was created in.

If you want to code this extension, I am ready to offer you some great ideas. On Simple Machine Forum there is going to be a wonderful extension for this, but phpBB has serious shortcomings on many points... starting with the one that makes the best extensions no longer work from one version of phpbb to another :
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

This is a great addition I can totally see myself using it :D Great Job !!!
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Fredisland wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:02 amstarting with the one that makes the best extensions no longer work from one version of phpbb to another
Let’s say, for example, the core has been changed to accommodate a new version PHP and a module they’ve introduced. How would you envisage the update/upgrade path for extensions going? If you have an idea how it should to be done you can always share it.

I know from experience that Simple Machines has similar or the same issues with updating/upgrading as does phpBB, mainly pilot error.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “Extensions in Development”