Updating from 3.3.4 to 3.3.8

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
CPTOM

Updating from 3.3.4 to 3.3.8

Post by CPTOM »

Any issues going straight from 3.3.4 to 3.3.8, without the intervening updates? I found a 3.3.4 to 3.3.8 advanced update zip, so presume it's ok to jump past the intervening versions?

Also, trying to understand whether to use the Full Package Update or the Advanced Update. The guide says to use Full Package Update unless you've made changes to the 'core files.' What are the core files for this purpose? I have made a few changes to my style's links.css file and viewtopic.php, and maybe one or two others like that (mostly appearance/wording issues, no logic code). Are those core files?
MarkDHamill

Re: Updating from 3.3.4 to 3.3.8

Post by MarkDHamill »

With 3.3.7 the Full Release method became the Update method and it's the only method recommended. The others are only used for boards where you introduced code changes into the base code that you need to retain. With the extensions system there should be no reason to do this.

You don't need to apply updates in sequence. Just install the latest version.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

CPTOM wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:03 am Are those core files?
Core files are files that come default with a phpBB installation.
This implies that if the edits made to core files, are not part of the next version and will overwritten when you install the new version files.

Using the Advanced Update, these edits can be transferred to the new files (only to default phpBB-files), however ... there is no guarantee these edits will still function as intended, and may cause errors.

Using the Changed files package, it's possible that the (previous version) files which were edited are not affected (e.g. if viewtopic.php stays the same as the previous version, it will not be included in the Changed Files Package (and the "old" version will be kept.
see : Minor Updates Within 3.3.x

In the case of core edits, it's not a bad idea to do an update on a copy of your board so that you can test the result before doing something irreversible.
Whichever method you use, make sure you have backups (database and files).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
CPTOM

Post by CPTOM »

warmweer wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:42 am
CPTOM wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:03 am Are those core files?
In the case of core edits, it's not a bad idea to do an update on a copy of your board so that you can test the result before doing something irreversible.
Whichever method you use, make sure you have backups (database and files).
I like the idea of updating a copy first! Is there a go-to way to copy the whole forum for this purpose, which would result in a live copy of the forum?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
fpena911

Post by fpena911 »

CPTOM wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:03 am Any issues going straight from 3.3.4 to 3.3.8, without the intervening updates? I found a 3.3.4 to 3.3.8 advanced update zip, so presume it's ok to jump past the intervening versions?

Also, trying to understand whether to use the Full Package Update or the Advanced Update. The guide says to use Full Package Update unless you've made changes to the 'core files.' What are the core files for this purpose? I have made a few changes to my style's links.css file and viewtopic.php, and maybe one or two others like that (mostly appearance/wording issues, no logic code). Are those core files?
I just went from 3.3.1 to 3.3.8 this past weekend. Just follow the update instructions and everything else falls into place. No new issues to report!

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”