Password reset emails are not sending

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
AndyJB
Name: Andrew Breslin

Password reset emails are not sending

Post by AndyJB »

What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.3.5
What is your board's URL? https://julyprovision.com/bbw
Who do you host your board with? A standard hosting service provider
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? I upgraded from older version to 3.3.5
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What extensions do you have installed? Insert Template Code, PlanetStyles Flight Deck (v2), User details
What styles do you currently have installed? Milk V2
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL(i) 5.5.58
Which version of PHP? 7.2.34
What is your level of experience? Experienced but a none techie
What username can be used to view this issue? n/a
What password can be used to view this issue? n/a
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I upgraded to the current phpbb version and updated the style/layout. Since the phpbb update over the past couple of months I've also been prompted to undertake quite a number of database updates, which I've done. I also implemented reCaptcha, but this only appears at the registration stage.

Please describe your issue. Board is not sending any password reset emails. All other emails appear to be sending eg registration and test emails.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by Mick on Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved.
Toxyy

Re: Password reset emails are not sending

Post by Toxyy »

Try sending a test email then going in the ACP and navigate to Maintenance -> Forum Logs -> Error Logs, you can find information about mail failing to send there. Send a test forget password email before checking to have it fresh in the logs.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
AndyJB

Post by AndyJB »

Hi Toxyy,
Thanks for your response. I've issued an password response message, but no error has been logged.

Is there somewhere else I could look? Is there a table I could run an SQL read statement on to see what password resets have been requested?

Many thanks
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

AndyJB wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:10 pm All other emails appear to be sending eg registration and test emails.
Have you verified this? It doesn't make sense that all other emails work but password resets don't. What are you using for emails, the mail function or SMTP?
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
AndyJB

Post by AndyJB »

tbackoff wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:10 pm Have you verified this? It doesn't make sense that all other emails work but password resets don't. What are you using for emails, the mail function or SMTP?
Hi Tbackoff,
I've a lot of users not receiving their reset emails and we've tested it using a couple of accounts we us for testing.

We're not using the SMTP option on the notice board and both test and registration emails are being sent and received. It's very odd indeed. The addresses of the ppl not getting messages is a mix of Yahoo and Gmail accounts.

Just issued a reset for an account using a non-Yahoo / non-Gmail account and the reset email arrived almost immediately :o Although 1 account is a poor sample is there something you could suggest I can check / change to help Yahoo and Gmail accounts improve receipt rates?

Thanks
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

AndyJB wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:32 pm The addresses of the ppl not getting messages is a mix of Yahoo and Gmail accounts.

Just issued a reset for an account using a non-Yahoo / non-Gmail account and the reset email arrived almost immediately :o
I seem to remember that mail being sent to Yahoo sometimes gets delayed, but it should eventually come through unless Yahoo is blocking it for some reason. Are you able to test more users with non-Yahoo/non-Gmail accounts? I'm almost willing to point the finger squarely at them.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

AndyJB wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:10 pm What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.3.5
There were some email fixes mentioned in phpBB 3.3.6 - Release Highlights. I don't know if they could the problems you are seeing.

More info about 3.3.6,
Marc wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:54 pm You can find the key highlights of this release below and a list of all issues fixed on our tracker at https://tracker.phpbb.com/issues/?filter=15990
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Dalexs01

Post by Dalexs01 »

Hi,

Sorry for the 3 month bump, and apologies if this is not proper protocol,
but was any resolution found for this issue?

I was just notified that my board, running on 3.3.7 is having the same problem.
Using built in mailer, haven't tried smtp yet.

It seems to mostly affect yahoo and gmail accounts, but have seen it on a few mac.com domains as well.

Release notes for 3.3.6 and 3.3.8 don't seem to mention anything like this.

Thanks

Dalexs01
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Welcome to phpBB.

Please start your own topic and include a screencap of your email settings page and the filled out Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.

Bear in mind that in the main these issues are not because of phpBB, phpBB does not send email as such but uses whatever services are provided by the server.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
AndyJB

[SOLVED] Password reset emails are not sending

Post by AndyJB »

Hi All,
Sorry for the delay in posting my solution.

I initially played around with using the SMTP settings, but this did not solve the issue.

So I upgraded the site to 3.3.7 (I see version 3.3.8 is now available)
then I reapplied the SMTP settings and this has solved my issues.

Note: I'm using my own 3rd party hosting and email service ie not GMAIL or Yahoo

I hope this helps if you're having your own email issues.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”