Softwares having Updates?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Softwares having Updates?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I would guess that the one click updates will be doing exactly what I was talking about. they will save the few files/folders that the current instructions tell you to save, and then remove and replace all the others. the difference is it will most likely be a little faster and the users
won't have to know what is happening and will simply have to sit and wait while the same procedure is done in the background.

however, I could be completely wrong and it might all be done with some kind of magic...

robert
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:13 pm however, I could be completely wrong and it might all be done with some kind of magic...
There is logic in the acronym phpBB ===> P hocus pocus BB :idea:
Deactivated 1950056

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

While updating phpBB may not be the simplest thing in the world and software updates can get extremely annoying, one is not obligated to update the exact second one comes out. phpBB Limited is not Microsoft. Like others have said, I would only worry about critical security fixes, and even then, I would be very relaxed about it.

I have seen phpBB boards that have not been updated at all for over a decade and while I wouldn't recommend you do something like that, one does not have to be religious about updates either.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Also consider that, in the case of phpBB, some updates and upgrades are driven by external forces such as PHP updates and upgrades and not necessarily because there is a bug or a security alert.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

warmweer wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:25 pm And regarding browsers, consider Edge and extend that to Windows (probably 1 update per month)
Edge has been a Chromium based browser for while now as most of them are these days. Others include Brave, TOR and Opera. Basically they would all have same updates, at least for the core Chromium package.

https://www.chromium.org/chromium-projects/

The only significant hold outs I'm aware of are Firefox and Safari.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:13 pm and then remove and replace all the others.
I would presume it will only utilize the patch or changed files packages. There is no need to download and replace with full package becuse most of them would be identical files.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Random American wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:29 pm I have seen phpBB boards that have not been updated at all for over a decade and while I wouldn't recommend you do something like that, one does not have to be religious about updates either.
That's a testament to phpBB's security, that said you can't be complacent. I woke up one morning to an email informing me about a major security flaw that allowed file uploads in Drupal installs. It affected three domains I own and others from clients. One of my own was already compromised, it was less than twelve hours between the release of the update and the compromise.

In my case it was one of the most ingenious uses of a hack I've seen. They uploaded a bitcoin mining script along with a Google search console verification file. This allowed them to create links to sitemaps in Googles search console pointing to their bit mining script, basically they were using Google as cron job to execute the script.

Return to “General Discussion”