can I make a questing website with this

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Exuin

can I make a questing website with this

Post by Exuin »

Like fiction dot live but with less issues
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: can I make a questing website with this

Post by thecoalman »

How does this game play work?
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Exuin

Post by Exuin »

The game master posts a story post with a list of options that you can vote on, then tallies up the options and repeat
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

phpBB has a polls option (voting) so yes.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

It would certainly be possible but the continuity of it will be problematic. You can't for example have a poll mid topic.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Exuin

Post by Exuin »

thecoalman wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:22 pm It would certainly be possible but the continuity of it will be problematic. You can't for example have a poll mid topic.
I can't? So do I use a different forum site then?
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

It would work but the issues is the continuity and you would have similar issue no matter what forum software.

You'd have to create new topic for each vote and then have another topic for the story.... Perhaps there is better way but if you want to explore what is possible download and install it and see if you can work something out. It won't cost you anything but time.

Exuin

Post by Exuin »

sure i have lots of time
Deactivated 1950056

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

Honestly, I think the continuity problem wouldn't be too bad as long as you leave a link to the previous topic in the new topic (and vice versa) and make it clear that the new topic continues the old one. Each topic being a separate "page" as it were for the story.

Polls can be edited and deleted as well, so it is also possible to just post the poll results and then create a new poll as needed. The main limitation is that the poll will always be at the top of the topic.
THIS ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER IN USE AND IS DEPRECIATED!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Random American wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:42 am Polls can be edited and deleted as well, so it is also possible to just post the poll results and then create a new poll as needed. The main limitation is that the poll will always be at the top of the topic.
Note that if you add or remove options to a poll it resets the poll. You can only edit existing options without resetting it.

There is a few options but the big hurdle is the limitations of the edit time limit. You can leave this disabled but that runs the risk of someone getting angry and deleting all their content, this can leave topics they have participated in useless and is not fair to others who participated.

If you enable it then it's global, there is no in-between. I have a proposal in ideas that could eliminate these issues entirely.

viewtopic.php?f=436&t=2603751

Deactivated 1950056

thecoalman wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:59 amThere is a few options but the big hurdle is the limitations of the edit time limit. You can leave this disabled but that runs the risk of someone getting angry and deleting all their content, this can leave topics they have participated in useless and is not fair to others who participated.
Disabling post deletions and an extension can allow the storage of post revisions can get around that. https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... revisions/ with permissions set to prevent users from managing and deleting revisions.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

thecoalman wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:59 am

There is a few options but the big hurdle is the limitations of the edit time limit. You can leave this disabled but that runs the risk of someone getting angry and deleting all their content, this can leave topics they have participated in useless and is not fair to others who participated.
Just allow soft deleting. Users won't know.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Deactivated 1950056

Deletions are only allowed when a user is the last to post in a topic. thecoalman is worried about a user editing all their posts blank as a way of deleting their content off the site.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

stevemaury wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:24 pm Just allow soft deleting. Users won't know.
The issue I'm referring to is the limitations of global edit time limit. It's all or nothing.

In this case you could keep everything neatly in one topic if there was user permission that limited editing polls in single forum.

Deactivated 1950056

thecoalman wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:12 amThe issue I'm referring to is the limitations of global edit time limit. It's all or nothing.
While it may be useful for some boards, an edit limit is not a requirement, and in general, would probably be a bad idea to implement on a questing site. In fact, most phpBB boards I'm on don't have an edit limit, and they're doing alright.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”