Pen pal Websites

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Methen

Pen pal Websites

Post by Methen »

if you go on google and search pen pals you you will find all kinds of web sites for pen pals But here is where it gets a little weird if you try find a web script to start up your site, You cant find nothing which does not make a whole lot of sense seeing how many pen pal websites are out there, So ether I am doing the wrong kind of search or something is really strange is going on in regards to people wanting to start up there own pen pal site.
Deactivated 1950056

Re: Pen pal Websites

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

Probably because many of these sites have their own custom code and there are many ways to accomplish the same exact thing. I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a pen pal site based off a heavily modified version of phpBB (and other bulletin boards) with code specific for their site.

There probably isn't much of a demand for the web-scripts you're looking for.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

It would seem to me phpBB would work quite well for this right out of the box, especially with some style changes so it wasn't so forum like. Keep in mind one of the rarely used features is the ability to apply different styles to different forums. If you had the ability to search profiles then it could work quite well.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Methen

Post by Methen »

Actually I have never seen a pen pal site based on phpbb the closest these sites actually come to is very similar to dating sites, Basically with pretty much the basic attitude as a dating site, When pen pals first came in to play it was done by snail mail and back then there was no age related crap as there is now, People back then had pen pals of all age differences, Now it is all age related people only wanting to have pen pals with in their age category and that was never what having a pen pal was about all about, in short the pen pal community's out there have pretty much lost their way over the years.
Deactivated 1950056

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

I have seen phpBB boards modified so much that that they resemble large social media sites. You can practically do anything with it.
Methen

Post by Methen »

Random American wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:39 am I have seen phpBB boards modified so much that that they resemble large social media sites. You can practically do anything with it.
I know I have seen sites like that before you can pretty much do anything with php code that you can do with html that is if you got the know how or the cash to spend.

Return to “General Discussion”