Converter from wbb5.5

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Maggan22

Converter from wbb5.5

Post by Maggan22 »

Hi everybody,

I want to leave Woltlab for many reasons. Unfortunately there is no converter. Unfortunately, I have updated from wbb5.3 to wbb5.5, which probably makes a change to another software even more impossible. I've been looking for a converter for many weeks and I see that there are some people who are like me. Would it be possible to program a converter that can convert the latest version of the woltlabforum into a phpbb3?

Thank you
Greets Maggan22
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Converter from wbb5.5

Post by Mick »

I’m not aware of a converter for wbb5.5 to phpBB but have a look at Available Converters. Now, if you have a search of the internet you’ll see there’s wbb5.5 to MyBB and wbb5.5 to Xenforo converters that apparently work. That being the case you could convert to MyBB or Xenforo then to phpBB obviously versions dependant. The best thing is to do a bit of research, there may be other options.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Maggan22

Post by Maggan22 »

If you know konverter FROM wbb5.5 please show it to me - i didn't find anything.
Greets Maggan22
Maggan22

Post by Maggan22 »

the converters on mybb or ip or smf are maximum for wbb5.2 - doesn't work with 5.5 most for wbb4
Greets Maggan22
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

As I said, you may need to do a bit of research, one I found on the Xenforo site seems confident of converting to MyBB https://xenforo.com/community/threads/w ... er.136165/
First of all you have to convert to mybb, the importer for mybb works just fine for wbb5.x, with only two minor adjustments . . .
    " - Harmony Cobel
Maggan22

Post by Maggan22 »

Hi,
thank you. This is that i have tried.

There is a significant difference between wbb5.1 (or 5.3) and wbb5.5. Even styles from wbb5.4 no longer work correctly on wbb5.5. You have to make some adjustments there too.
This Way to Convert doesn't work with wbb.5.5. I can say that because I tried exactly with this guide and with the attached, adapted converter in those thread.

Thanks anyway for taking the trouble to send me the thread link
Greets Maggan22
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Maggan22 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:21 am Even styles from wbb5.4 no longer work correctly on wbb5.5. You have to make some adjustments there too.
Styles are irrelevant. You are only converting the users, forums, topics, and posts. You cannot convert styles.
Maggan22

Post by Maggan22 »

I know that you can't convert styles. It should only show that there are already internal changes in woltlab versions. The converter via mybb is written for a wbb5.0 and does not work with wbb5.5. The converter is no longer supported either, since the converter writer has not had a license since 2019. So there is NO converter for wbb5.5 to mybb
Greets Maggan22
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Just a thought, do you have any backups from before you updated to wbb5.5 or, preferably, earlier?
    " - Harmony Cobel
Maggan22

Post by Maggan22 »

I should have an earlier backup, why?
Greets Maggan22
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Well, maybe you could install that earlier version on a server on your desktop machine and convert it. I don’t know how busy your site is but maybe you haven’t had too much traffic since you did the backup? It’s worth a try imo.

Knowledge Base - Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server
    " - Harmony Cobel
Maggan22

Post by Maggan22 »

Thanks for the suggestion. Version 5.0 was around 2017. That was long ago. Meanwhile many new people have joined, many new posts and I merged 2 forums last year. Converting the old backup will certainly work, but a lot would be lost. Maybe one Day someone can take a closer look at mybb's customized converter and adapt it to the wbb5.5 database structures...
Greets Maggan22
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

OK, I understand, good luck👍🏼
    " - Harmony Cobel
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Couple of other options.
If you can get some money together, post in the wanted forum to see if someone can do it as a paid job (no idea what the cost would be I'm afraid).

or
Look at it as an opportunity to start afresh.
Install a new phpBB board, post on the old site saying you're moving and tell everyone to re-register and start from scratch. Any important topics can be copied over, the rest can be archived. Put the old site in to a readable only state and start over on the new site. Depending on the topic, people may or may not need information in posts older than 6 months.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Maggan22

Post by Maggan22 »

I'll put it in as a job. It's only a small community (89,040 posts in 12,332 topics with 63 members) that's been online since 2003. Merged with my style & graphics forum last year. Nothing commercial. I couldn't pay much, but maybe there will be an enthusiast who will make the effort anyway.

Thank you very much for trying to help me
Greets Maggan22

Return to “[3.3.x] Convertors”