Auto-forward a PM to other users/post it on a forum

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Ideas Centre
Faerie Slorg

Auto-forward a PM to other users/post it on a forum

Post by Faerie Slorg »

To begin with, I'm not sure if it's something other people may find useful. It's useful for gaming forums, like the one I'm running, and by useful I mean really useful. In such places you often have a generally anonymous account used by an entire group of Game Masters, so that the players don't know who among the Game Masters is posting from said account. But then, as it's a group account, nobody's personal one, and used only when specific stuff is needed, checking the private messages there gets complicated and you tend to forget about it.

I have a simple workaround, which is the account having a unique e-mail set at its profile, and then the e-mail inbox on the server is sent to auto-forward the notifications about PMs to the real e-mails of the staff.

But, could it be possible to do an auto-forward? Is there some extension that does that? I've searched and found two cool things that do post regular posts from other contact forms!
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... act_admin/
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... tion_form/
but I'm absolutely in no position of skill to edit the extensions to do what I'm searching for: which is to auto-forward the PMs sent to a specific account to either:
- PMs of specific other users
- to a specific sub-forum (it can be into a new thread always, or into one thread set before that, it doesn't make a difference)

Speaking about it proceduraly, what I mean is:
1) check if a Private Message is sent to a user account of specified user_id (say user_id 25),
2) if so, then copy paste all the private message data into some array (? I think that's how it's called)
3) call the function that sends private messages again, this time forwarding all of it to users of specified IDs (say user_id 65, 107, and 1020)
OR
3) call the function that sends posts, put all the private message data in there like user and stuff, use some already predestined forum_id and topic_id and send post

I would gladly send PayPal money for a pack of beer at least, if somebody would help me with that :lol: I know it's no real payment, but I'm just a small hobbyst and can't afford paying like you pay for industry coder jobs...
david63

Re: Auto-forward a PM to other users/post it on a forum

Post by david63 »

Not sure if it would be of any help but a user can send a PM to a group (if the group is set to receive PMs), so if your Game Masters were in a group called Game Masters then any PM sent to that group would go to them all.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Faerie Slorg

Post by Faerie Slorg »

david63 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:10 pm Not sure if it would be of any help but a user can send a PM to a group (if the group is set to receive PMs), so if your Game Masters were in a group called Game Masters then any PM sent to that group would go to them all.
Yeah, we have that, but unfortunately people always forget about that :lol: Thanks for the idea though!:)
Faerie Slorg

Post by Faerie Slorg »

Oh and just one thought: I think it takes a lot of time to write some menuses for things like that, but to me it's completely unnecessary and it could be just the values hardcoded into name.php file for now, I don't care about that.

And what's more, while the process looks super long and time-consuming, it also looks like something I could handle, so if I got the idea depicted working, I could build some menuses for the ACP around that :mrgreen:

Return to “Extension Requests”