The dreaded "exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts"

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
shortmort37
Name: Dan Morton

The dreaded "exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts"

Post by shortmort37 »

I recently moved my board from an unmanaged VPS to a managed VPS, and I'm seeing quirky behavior. But first, here's what I did:

I used WinSCP to copy my 3.3.5 site backup to the new site; and I used phpMyAdmin to import a database backup. Then, I followed the instructions for a fresh install of phpBB - I deleted /vendor and /cache from my site, /images, /store, /files and config.php from my 3.3.5 phpBB snapshot, and copied up to the site. I cleaned up the /store folder, ran install (successfully), and deleted the install directory.

I can't log in on the first attempt; I always get that I've exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts, and I have to answer my CAPTCHA question. This, even though phpbb_users.user_login_attempts = 0 for my account.

There's other bizarre behavior too; while tooling around in topics, I will suddenly find the account logged out. Test posts don't appear initially; when they do, the don't disappear on deletion; when I attempt to redelete, I'm told "the requested post does not exist". On a couple of occasions, I've been in the ACP, only to find some action kicks me back to the board - and then, "You do not have the necessary permissions to complete this operation".

I've changed the cookie, purged the cache, and cleared my browser cache; still no love. I installed Firefox (I normally use Chrome) and the same issue presents.

My next step is to clear everything out (except for /files, which is huge) and start over. But I'd be happy to hear other suggestions.

Thanks
Dan

P.S. For what it's worth, my unmanaged server ran Apache; my new managed server runs nginx.
Last edited by Mick on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: The dreaded "exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts"

Post by Mick »

• "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

Thanks, Mick - I'll run this up the flagpole with my hosting provider.

Dan
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

Well, as a test we disabled NGINX caching (it wasn’t used on my other server); still no love. I’m still warned I’ve exceeded maximum attempts. There are other bizarre manifestations, but I hope that finding the cause for this issue will remediate the others.

Any other ideas about what I should be trying?
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

In the "grasping at straws" department, I did a Softaculous install of phpBB (3.3.8, as it turns out) under a separate domain name I own on the same server with my production installation. Logins work just fine; no maximum attempts exceeded. I don't think NGINX is implicated - certainly, it's disabled. So I'm at a loss as to what's different between my old server and my new.

In the absence of any other suggestion, I'm going to start from scratch - disable my extensions, delete everything from the phpBB root except the things that pertain to my board (/files, /store, /images, /ext and config.php) and do a fresh copy of 3.3.5; then drop my database, reimport, and reinstall phpBB. Then delete /install and play around with logins. If there's anything in that laundry list I've missed, please let me know.

Thanks
Dan
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Did you try to login from a other browser or in private mode, maybe it is a cookie thing?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

Yeah, I *installed* another browser (Firefox) only to see the same thing. And, same outcome in private mode.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

A link to your board can also be helpful.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

Sure! But I likely will be pulling the rug out from under folks sometime today…

www.59plymouth.net/59forum
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

You've set your cookie_secure to False.

ACP > General > Server configuration > Server URL settings
Force server URL settings:

set it to True, and enter https:// in server protocol then delete cookies from your browser, and browser cache (just to restart as clean as possible) delete /installer and /production from /cache and then try logging in again.
Last edited by warmweer on Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

warmweer wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:05 pm You've set your cookie_secure to False.
Add you certificate value, set it to True, then delete cookies from your browser, delete /installer and /production from /cache and then try logging in again.
Yes, that was one of many desperate attempts. I’ll set it back.

Where do I add my certificate value? I don’t recall doing this where my board was formerly hosted.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

shortmort37 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:13 pm Where do I add my certificate value? I don’t recall doing this where my board was formerly hosted.
My mistake: I was confused, disregard that, I've edited my previous post.

added: I've edited my previous post again (4th time, damn it: why can't I get it right the first time :oops: )
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

warmweer wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:05 pm You've set your cookie_secure to False.
OK, set back.
warmweer wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:05 pm ACP > General > Server configuration > Server URL settings
Force server URL settings:

set it to True, and enter https:// in server protocol
Yup, those were already set that way.
warmweer wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:05 pm then delete cookies from your browser, and browser cache (just to restart as clean as possible) delete /installer and /production from /cache and then try logging in again.
Did that - still no love.

I'm out of pocket for a few hours, but if there are further suggestions, I'll try them when I get back. Thanks to all.

Dan
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

shortmort37 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:38 pm
warmweer wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:05 pm set it to True, and enter https:// in server protocol
Yup, those were already set that way.
Strange, as I could access your board using http:// (it didn't force https://) (it does now).

shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

warmweer wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:44 pm Strange, as I could access your board using http:// (it didn't force https://) (it does now).
Everything about the behavior of my board is strange now, although the “exceeded attempts” is the most consistent and obvious strange thing. But those are the settings on my old board, and they persisted on the import.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”