Max emails per hour grumble

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
cally6008

Max emails per hour grumble

Post by cally6008 »

I'm not asking for any help as such, lol, just having a twine cos my webhosts have a max emails per hour in place of just 200.
That's no good when I've got 1300 members and are trying to re-kick start the forum back up
I will happily change webhosts if it comes to it
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Max emails per hour grumble

Post by Mick »

Have you investigated 3rd party mailers (I admit I haven’t and I don’t know how they operate) such as MailChimp or Sendinblue etc? Maybe your host will allow you more mail for a small fee?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
david63

Post by david63 »

Changing hosts probably will not help as they all tend to have a limit - especially if you are on shared hosting.

One advantage of using a third party is that when sending out bulk emails there is a possibility that some mail servers may blacklist you as they think that you are sending out spam.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You could set the 'topics per page' to 130, make 10 groups called 1-10, and put an entire page of people in to each group. Then every couple of hours, do a mass mail out to the next group.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
cally6008

Post by cally6008 »

KevC, yeah that's what i'm thinking.
Have members group 1, 2 ,3 etc in the background and use those for sending.
So annoying though
david63

Post by david63 »

KevC wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:10 pm You could set the 'topics per page' to 130, make 10 groups called 1-10, and put an entire page of people in to each group. Then every couple of hours, do a mass mail out to the next group.
Even that could possibly run the risk of being treated as spam by some mail servers (especially the likes of Gmail)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

But you could at least use the original hosts then and not break their limit. Would only take 10 minutes to set the groups up. Maybe even email 1 group per day. But you can never guarantee the receivers email reader won't shove it in to the spam folder.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
cally6008

Post by cally6008 »

Maybe dump all emails to a phplist and do it that way ?
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

KevC wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:29 pm But you can never guarantee the receivers email reader won't shove it in to the spam folder.
The biggest reason emails end up in spam box is no DKIM and no SPF record. This helps the recipient email server validate the email. It can also help prevent someone else spoofing email from you. The SPF record indicates what IP(s) are allowed to send email for xyz.com and DKIM digitally signs them. You can take this step further with DMARC record.

SPF is not too difficult to set up but it does require DNS entries, DKIM is bit more work as you first need it enabled on the server and then you add entries to DNS. Just be aware no record is better than incorrect record.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Discussion”