update and convert 3.2.11->3.3.8 postgres->mariadb

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
usmc_1811

update and convert 3.2.11->3.3.8 postgres->mariadb

Post by usmc_1811 »

Hello everyone,

I have an older system running on phpBB3-2.11 and I need to update to phpBB3-3.8. I also need to migrate from postgres to mariadb.

I have the original system available and it is fully functional/running.

I have the new system ready to install. Is is possible to do this migration?

I am but a mere user of databases and not very well. I know these are 2 completely different databases and I created a full backup of the source system and began to think about it. Because of a host of restrictions, I cannot move the original system up. If I install on the new release, then the database tables will be in the new format and I cannot convert them from the old ones. I cannot install phpBB3-2.11 on the new system because I have php7.4 installed and I cannot go to an older release.

The thought of moving 3.2.11 to the new system and running it long enough to update/convert to the new version (install process for 3.2.11 then restore databases followed by update databases) occurred to me *except* php7.4 is not supported for 3.2.11.

Does anyone have any suggestions to complete this?
AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Re: update and convert 3.2.11->3.3.8 postgres->mariadb

Post by AlfredoRamos »

usmc_1811 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:13 pm If I install on the new release, then the database tables will be in the new format and I cannot convert them from the old ones
If you meant a new phpBB release, as long as your PostgreSQL version is still supported, you won't have any problems. Latter you could upgrade your PostgreSQL (like 14) instance with pg_upgrade.

Anyways, there a lot of scripts for converting from PostgreSQL to MySQL/MariaDB, I would only suggest to try it on localhost first, because those kind of scripts can have their flaws.

You don't mention which PHP version you have on your current system, so as long it's 7.1.3 or higher, you can upgrade to 3.3.8 and still use PostgreSQL (hopefully 10.x or higher).

It's not clear to me why you even need to change the RDBMS.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
:chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :shield: hCaptcha
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user | Linux Boards :penguin:
usmc_1811

Re: update and convert 3.2.11->3.3.8 postgres->mariadb

Post by usmc_1811 »

The php on the other system is 5.4.16. And the system, due to it's construction and architecture, are not upgradable.

Based on your comments Alfredo, there may be good reason to leave the system on postgres, at least short term.

If I were to drop changing databases, then the issue does become a great deal less complex. The directions for migrating from phpBB3-2.11 to phpBB3.3.8 are documented.

Let me remove on level of effort by not changing the database. Thanks!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”