Something that really makes no sense

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Methen

Something that really makes no sense

Post by Methen »

I thought about getting into targeted email list to get more people to my site once I do a little work on it, But here is where it gets really strange to me, These company's that sell email list have literally thousands of categorys of nearly every thing you can imagine and I must have called 5 different company's and not one had anything on role playing and when you take a consider how popular role playing on the internet is and the thousands if not millions of people around the world that do it, it simply males no sense why targeted email company's have no categorys for role playing.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Something that really makes no sense

Post by Brf »

The targeted Email lists are for selling products. You would have to think about what products you are trying to sell to the role players.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I know I am an old guy but the only references to "role playing" sites I have seen online are here on this board. I certainly do not know for sure but my assumption would be that the market for role playing games is no longer as big as it used to be.

robert
Deactivated 1950056

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:30 pm I know I am an old guy but the only references to "role playing" sites I have seen online are here on this board. I certainly do not know for sure but my assumption would be that the market for role playing games is no longer as big as it used to be.

robert
No, role playing sites are still popular, and there are many big sites. Usually, when there's forums, they're forums that are attached to a popular role-playing game and are part of that site. As for sites that mainly teach people how to RP, I think OPs problem is that there are many many sites where one can learn how to do that.

There's even a site listed in the phpBB showcase that has a large RPing community.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Before you even think about purchasing such a list you have to ask yourself "Would I follow such a link that comes out of the blue from someone I have never heard of?"

I for one would not,
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:30 pm role playing games
Random American wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:08 pm role-playing game
I am not sure Methen is talking about games...
Deactivated 1950056

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

Brf wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:16 pmI am not sure Methen is talking about games...
I know. I'm saying, that's what the popular forums tend to be. Something attached to a game.
HiFiKabin wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:15 pm Before you even think about purchasing such a list you have to ask yourself "Would I follow such a link that comes out of the blue from someone I have never heard of?"

I for one would not,
I wouldn't either. One needs to be careful about clicking email links with all the phishing, scams, and malware going around. I don't appreciate email spam, and I doubt anyone else does either.
Methen

Post by Methen »

Brf wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:45 pm The targeted Email lists are for selling products. You would have to think about what products you are trying to sell to the role players.
No really they are also for interest groups also.
Methen

Post by Methen »

Random American wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:08 pm
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:30 pm I know I am an old guy but the only references to "role playing" sites I have seen online are here on this board. I certainly do not know for sure but my assumption would be that the market for role playing games is no longer as big as it used to be.

robert
No, role playing sites are still popular, and there are many big sites. Usually, when there's forums, they're forums that are attached to a popular role-playing game and are part of that site. As for sites that mainly teach people how to RP, I think OPs problem is that there are many many sites where one can learn how to do that.

There's even a site listed in the phpBB showcase that has a large RPing community.
Yep there but sadly all these role play sites censer like mad hence the reason I got away from them in a attempt to start up my own, But the problem in a nutshell is being able to get the word out to the right people and these sites are not about to let anyone do that hence the reason I came up with the idea of a targeted email list, on the the other hand the insane prices these company's charge for a email list may mot make it worth in in the long run.
Methen

Post by Methen »

Brf wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:16 pm
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:30 pm role playing games
Random American wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:08 pm role-playing game
I am not sure Methen is talking about games...
No, I was refering to role playing online
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Methen wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:10 pm No, I was refering to role playing online
To the vast majority of people (online), that means dice and dungeons and dragons.
That's very much not the sort of role playing you're talking about I think.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Methen

Post by Methen »

KevC wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:15 pm
Methen wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:10 pm No, I was refering to role playing online
To the vast majority of people (online), that means dice and dungeons and dragons.
That's very much not the sort of role playing you're talking about I think.
There are two basic forms of role playing table top role playing which is what you are
referring to and online role playing which I am referring to.

Return to “General Discussion”