Style Updates and Updates

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
EyeScream
Name: Eye Scream

Style Updates and Updates

Post by EyeScream »

Over the past few years I have worked with phpBB quite a bit. I however am interested in having a couple (which may be silly) questions answered. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

1. When using a style from the style database, knowing it is only a style and not the actual program is there any concern for security or any manipulation of the style itself that one has to be concerned about since the style has not been updated for let's say 2 years?

2. After all this time. I still find it a bit scary to go to the server via sftp or ftp and delete all files in the forums folder minus what the full package says not to delete including the config file and then uploading the contents of the new full package, minus the folders that it requires. Will there every be a time where phpbb will update itself like wordpress even automatically if you want it too? This manual updating and deleting and potentially making a grave error.. Can't this be remedied by phpBB?

3. Some of the styles that are in the phpBB style database are really nice.. However, the owners have dealt with what I would assume is boredom or RL got in the way. Contacting them on their own support lines is fruitless and the phpBB community basically says if it is ProSilver or something else, post here otherwise post to the style itself for help. What if you can't?

4. Will there ever be a simple menu option for a link to your homepage of your website? and maybe a header for phpBB that allows you to add a logo of your own size without messing up the style?

Sorry if I have covered topics of old, these were thoughts on my mind and just wanted to address them. Thanks so much.
janus_zonstraal

Re: Style Updates and Updates

Post by janus_zonstraal »

1) normally not but you will miss some functionality en mall function from your board.
2) the team is working on that.
3) You can ask it in the custom coding, general style support or wanted area.
viewforum.php?f=641 viewforum.php?f=586 viewforum.php?f=656
4)You can link to your homepage in ACP general forum settings and for the header there are already 2 extensions who deal with that (sitelogo and headerbanner)
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

EyeScream wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:57 pm Over the past few years I have worked with phpBB quite a bit. I however am interested in having a couple (which may be silly) questions answered. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

1. When using a style from the style database, knowing it is only a style and not the actual program is there any concern for security or any manipulation of the style itself that one has to be concerned about since the style has not been updated for let's say 2 years?
you should always use a style that is updated to the same version as phpBB you are using.
2. After all this time. I still find it a bit scary to go to the server via sftp or ftp and delete all files in the forums folder minus what the full package says not to delete including the config file and then uploading the contents of the new full package, minus the folders that it requires. Will there every be a time where phpbb will update itself like wordpress even automatically if you want it too? This manual updating and deleting and potentially making a grave error.. Can't this be remedied by phpBB?
I believe that is coming up in the next major upgrade. however, there is nothing to be scared about as long as you follow the instructions exactly and in order. the most important one being to make a complete backup of database and files before you start.
3. Some of the styles that are in the phpBB style database are really nice.. However, the owners have dealt with what I would assume is boredom or RL got in the way. Contacting them on their own support lines is fruitless and the phpBB community basically says if it is ProSilver or something else, post here otherwise post to the style itself for help. What if you can't?
styles other than prosilver are the responsibility of their creators to support. If you can't get support in a style's topic then you should not use that style.
4. Will there ever be a simple menu option for a link to your homepage of your website? and maybe a header for phpBB that allows you to add a logo of your own size without messing up the style?
linking to your homepage in the menu has been part of phpBB since phpBB 3.0 came out I believe. it is on the main page of the general tab in the admin panel.
Sorry if I have covered topics of old, these were thoughts on my mind and just wanted to address them. Thanks so much.
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
EyeScream
Name: Eye Scream

Post by EyeScream »

Thanks so much for the information I can't believe I missed that link option in the ACP. I must have been blind.

Thanks also for the links to the two extensions. I was trying to only use phpBB Extensions and Styles and nothing made by someone whom might disappear down the road.

I really with I could get in touch with the person who made the PYCODE style. Looks like I might have to see if anyone in the custom coding area is willing to update for 3.3 and beyond. I would really like to have the header capable of adding a logo that is just the right size (max) so that it does not break the style responsiveness on tablets and phones.

Thanks again everyone!

PS.. Really looking forward to the upgrade so that phpBB can be automatically updated in the future and it would be amazing if that were the same for styles and and extensions. I hope in my lifetime :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”