Stickies and images

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
DoctorB

Stickies and images

Post by DoctorB »

Q1) I am able to 'sticky' a topic, and then have the option to 'unsticky' it, but the stickied topic does not remain at the top of the topic list.

Q2) I wish to use ImageMagick on image files posted by users. Where in CPanel will I find these images or are they in the DB?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Stickies and images

Post by Mick »

1. If the stickied topic is un-stuck it will go back to where it originated - it does on my test board anyway.
2. If you’re talking about attachments they’re normally stored in the /files folder.

You mention cPanel, don’t you use FTP?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
DoctorB

Post by DoctorB »

Mick

Q1) The problem is
"the stickied topic does not remain at the top of the topic list."

Q2) Thanks - cannot locate them at present. There are files there but they have no file suffix so I cannot open them, and they only go back to 2018 when the ACP shows images back to 2015. Also I have a 3.14Mb image posted on 6 Sep but cannot see that either in that folder. 3.2.2/AllanSyle-SUBSILVER
david63

Post by david63 »

DoctorB wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:17 am "the stickied topic does not remain at the top of the topic list."
Do you have this same problem with the default prosilver style?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

DoctorB wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:17 am"the stickied topic does not remain at the top of the topic list."
Do you mean while it’s stickied? If so I misread it, apologies.

2. Attachment files are renamed and have the extension removed for security purposes. What do you want to do to the image files with ImageMagick?

You can try downloading the image/images to your desktop and adding a suffix to the image files such as gif, jpg, png etc, you may have to experiment, to see which one is which.
    " - Harmony Cobel
DoctorB

Post by DoctorB »

"Do you have this same problem with the default prosilver style?" I have not tried yet.

"2. Attachment files are renamed and have the extension removed for security purposes. What do you want to do to the image files with ImageMagick?

You can try downloading the image/images to your desktop and adding a suffix to the image files such as gif, jpg, png etc, you may have to experiment, to see which one is which."

I had thought that might be the only way, although as I said there are a lot 'missing' in that folder which misses out 2015-2017. The site has 3.92 Gib of images stored! I need to downsize some of the 3Mb+ files.
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

DoctorB wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:49 am Q1) I am able to 'sticky' a topic, and then have the option to 'unsticky' it, but the stickied topic does not remain at the top of the topic list.
I don't know if it is the same behaviour that the OP noticed, but I've found that sticky topics can totally disappear from a topic list. It took me quite a while to figure out why.

It depends on the setting in User Control Panel (UCP)->Board Preferences->Edit display options, particularly the Display topics from previous days: setting. If the last post date of the sticky topic is older than this setting then the sticky topic disappears from the topic list.

Case in point, go to viewforum.php?f=14 and then go to the bottom and click the Display and sorting options dropdown box. Change the setting for Display from All topics to 1 year then click Go. Notice all the sticky topics are no longer displayed.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

as far as missing images goes, they are most likely there. your ftp program will probably only show 9,999 files.
you can check in the files folder using your hosting control panel file manager to see if the files are actually there.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
DoctorB

Post by DoctorB »

Robert - no, already done that via Cpanel and the same result.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

What did you do before all this started happening assuming it’s a fairly recent thing?
    " - Harmony Cobel
DoctorB

Post by DoctorB »

I think the 'sticky' thing was a misunderstanding by me, sadly? I was expecting a topic to stay 'stuck' on my preferred view of 'New Posts' which I guess it will not, in which case sorry to distract you all..

The image thing - I have done nothing but try to find the image files!
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Run this query to see how many attachment files are in the database ( Executing SQL Queries in phpMyAdmin )

Code: Select all

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM phpbb_attachments WHERE physical_filename IS NOT NULL

If your table extension is not phpbb_ change accordingly.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
DoctorB

Post by DoctorB »

Sorry for delay - did not get notification. Query result was 14842.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

So that's how many attachments your database thinks you have. As Robert said, in many cases, more than 9,999 will not be displayed in FTP.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
DoctorB

Post by DoctorB »

Ah! Got it. So, the question is, how do I access them to run ImageMagick on them?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”