What is Happening with Chameleon?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
david63

Re: What is Happening with Chameleon?

Post by david63 »

GanstaZ wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:00 pm Don't know what you mean by ... "extension writers can inspire.."
From what I can see these days there are very few active extension writers to inspire anything - if fact it is probably the other way round in that extension writers need inspiring - and certainly will if Chameleon ever sees the light of day
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

I don't have the php knowledge to write extensions yet either. That being said, Chameleon has pretty much stalled, so do not expect a release with Chameleon any time soon.

If you need certain features for your board, extensions in phpBB 3.3.x are your best bet.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

david63 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:26 pm that extension writers need inspiring - and certainly will if Chameleon ever sees the light of day
Yep.. I agree.
One thing that would make life a lot easier to prepare for future, is updated symfony, twig & twig syntax in template files.
[Dimetrodon] wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:40 pm If you need certain features for your board, extensions in phpBB 3.3.x are your best bet.
All depends on what people take as base for their site/project. If it is forum, that needs a lot of additions, then 3.3.x and everything that is lower will not attract much attention anymore.. Specially for free. If phpbb is taken as toolbox filled with components, then is little easier.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

While imperfect, I think we can all agree that phpBB 3.3.x is better than waiting for Chameleon, which halil16 seems to be pinning their hopes on.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
halil16
Name: Halil

Post by halil16 »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:23 pm While imperfect, I think we can all agree that phpBB 3.3.x is better than waiting for Chameleon, which halil16 seems to be pinning their hopes on.
I like the current 3.3.x versions despite their shortcomings. Although it takes a lot of time, there are many ways to customize it the way I want almost every time. Since only a small number of code-savvy people are active on phpBB, some issues may fall short. But there are great people here. What's more, they make everything possible.

The chameleon, on the other hand, is exciting because it offers a more modern use. For example, like the PM box on the page I linked. It is much more modern and usual than it is now. Of course, I think the chameleon can be a little more minialis. But I think we can customize it.
* Hire me at fiverr for your phpBB board.
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
Contributions: #Hashtag, Elegance, Latte
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

Let's be honest.. Current way of customizing means a lot of code edits.. In other words.. It's not much different from mods era.. Right?

Don't know how easy it will be with Chameleon, but based on what i remember, it should be a lot easier for style designers.
But can't say the same about extensions & extension developers.
david63

Post by david63 »

GanstaZ wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:08 pm But can't say the same about extensions & extension developers.
Or for custom coding if all the css needs compling
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

halil16 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:42 pm
The chameleon, on the other hand, is exciting because it offers a more modern use. For example, like the PM box on the page I linked. It is much more modern and usual than it is now. Of course, I think the chameleon can be a little more minialis. But I think we can customize it.
Modern looking does not mean that it is currently practical to implement. There’s a reason why it isn’t going to be implemented any time soon, despite being in development for years.
halil16

Post by halil16 »

GanstaZ wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:08 pm Let's be honest.. Current way of customizing means a lot of code edits.. In other words.. It's not much different from mods era.. Right?
I've done so much editing on styling, extensions and core that updates scare me.
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

halil16 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:55 pm I've done so much editing on styling, extensions and core that updates scare me.
Well.. for that exact reason extensions were introduced in 3.1.x branch)
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

halil16 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:55 pm
GanstaZ wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:08 pm Let's be honest.. Current way of customizing means a lot of code edits.. In other words.. It's not much different from mods era.. Right?
I've done so much editing on styling, extensions and core that updates scare me.
I doubt Chameleon is going to change that if you still want a heavily customized experience.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

halil16 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:55 pmupdates scare me
Well, if you’re intending to upgrade to 4 when it emerges, you’ll have to bite the bullet sometime. Maybe now is the time to stop doing all the editing you’re doing.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Mick wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:39 pm
halil16 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:55 pmupdates scare me
Well, if you’re intending to upgrade to 4 when it emerges, you’ll have to bite the bullet sometime. Maybe now is the time to stop doing all the editing you’re doing.
And I think he'd probably just need to do many of the same edits to get exactly what he wants in phpBB4 anyway, so it would probably just be better to hold out than to upgrade if he wants to keep his edits without any problems. I still see lots of phpBB 3.0.x sites for that very reason. They have custom MODs so they cannot upgrade without losing essential functionality.
halil16

Post by halil16 »

Basically every my extension is up to date. It was fun to optimize, though some were abandoned. My style belongs to Arty. Now that Arty's gone, I might be alone. But I did the updates myself. The style no longer resembles Arty's style at all. :)

In core files, I have simple edits such as slogan in index, removing terms page from registration, notification preference settings.

As for phpBB 4 (except if there's nothing big tempting me or if I think I can handle it) I don't think I'll update until Chameleon comes out.

Do not get it wrong. I do not insist that it must be a Chameleon. I'm just excited that it will open up a new path and experience.

However, I'm sure I will do a lot of customization on the Chameleon. :)

Even though I want to stop customizing, I like to mess around. I am improving myself and adding new flavors to my forum. :)
Last edited by halil16 on Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm learning English...
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

It won't open up a new path because it is unlikely to get released in a reasonable time frame, and by the time it does, I'm sure it would have lots of dependencies that should be updated. There will be people asking when it will be released 10 years from now.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”