Soft delete all posts

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
The Armchair Soldier

Soft delete all posts

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Is there a way to soft delete all posts?

A user on my forum has replaced most of their posts with spam and I want to delete them, whilst preserving the ones which aren't spam.

Using the delete all posts option just hard deletes everything and there's no option to recover the non-spam ones.

My theory is, if I can soft delete them instead, I can manually un-delete the non-spam posts.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Soft delete all posts

Post by KevC »

First thing I would do is make a group that has no editing rights and put them in it. Maybe moderation queue for new posts as well.

How many posts are you talking about? I don't believe there's an option to do what you're asking.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers has been approved"
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Not perfect but this might help

Create a forum called Trash (of whatever you want to call it) and jive Administrators the only permissions to view it

Go to User management for that user, in "Quick Tools" select "Move Posts" , on the next page select "Trash" as the destination.

The user will have no more visible posts and you can restore those you want to, although you will have to manually find where there original topic is
The Armchair Soldier

KevC wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:16 am First thing I would do is make a group that has no editing rights and put them in it. Maybe moderation queue for new posts as well.

How many posts are you talking about? I don't believe there's an option to do what you're asking.
The user is banned now as he started editing his posts to contain gore and dangerous links. I just want to remove the spam ones and keep the ones that haven't been edited.

They have 2,100+ posts.

HiFiKabin wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:51 pm Not perfect but this might help

Create a forum called Trash (of whatever you want to call it) and jive Administrators the only permissions to view it

Go to User management for that user, in "Quick Tools" select "Move Posts" , on the next page select "Trash" as the destination.

The user will have no more visible posts and you can restore those you want to, although you will have to manually find where there original topic is
Sadly, there's just too many posts for me to remember where each one went so I don't think this solution is viable but thanks anyway!
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

How many of the 2100 have been edited though?
"Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers has been approved"
The Armchair Soldier

KevC wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:21 pm How many of the 2100 have been edited though?
I estimate around 800.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Ouch.
Maybe divide up the task of deleting with some of your moderators (if you have them).
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

The Armchair Soldier wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:13 pm
KevC wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:21 pm How many of the 2100 have been edited though?
I estimate around 800.
There is no "soft-delete" all posts option in the ACP, only delete all posts, which would permanently delete everything. You're going to have to just manually delete everything and hope no one follows those links in the mean time.

If you don't want people to see it, you can disable the board temporarily for anyone who is not a mod or admin. ACP > Board Settings > Disable Board > Set that to yes

That will disable the board until you can clean all the junk up.

To prevent it from happening again with another user, you can enact an editing time limit in ACP > Post Settings > Posting > Limit Editing Time

This disables the edit function for a post after a set time after it was posted.
🇺🇦 Stand with Ukraine 🇺🇦
Formerly Random American.
"Life is rarely a choice between good and bad, but bad and worse." - Steve Shahbazian
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

My spam remover extension might help but it requires an Akismet license.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”