Its all gone wrong!

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Brian Lambert

Its all gone wrong!

Post by Brian Lambert »

Hi all
I need some help please.
I have had to upgrade my forum (www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk) for the hosting company (One.com) who are saying they are upgrading to PHP 8.
I followed the 'How to update your installation with full package' instructions to the letter (I belive!)
Backed up all files etc to a memory stick.
Unpacked the downloaded files.
Removed config.php, Images and files folders.
Went to ACP and made sure Prosilver was the default.
Opened FileZilla and went to my site and then deleted Vendor and Cache folders then uploaded everything that was left in the unpacked folder from my C drive to the website. All went well as far as I can tell and I have the following showing.
ImageScreen 2 by

However.... When I open modelrailwayforum.co.uk/install/app.php and reach the Set Installation Data page I havent a clue what to put into each of the boxes?? I do of course know the sites Password. I have tried for over three hours with various entries in each box all to no avail.

Can you advise from the screenshot below of FileZilla what needs to be entered?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nPA1r2]Image
Screen 3 by

i.e. in here....
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nPyFFb]Image
Screen 1 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150762635@N03/]
Last edited by Mick on Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Its all gone wrong!

Post by KevC »

You shouldn't need to enter any passwords or database information when updating.
Filezilla is asking for the info to connect to your host server. If you've uploaded everything, you already knew what filezilla wanted because you've connected already.

From the top screenshot, your config.php file (in the right window) is 0 bytes which means it looks like you've overwritten it with the new one. Just upload a backup of that and you should be ok.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert »

So I have just used FireZilla to overwrite the web sites config.php file, but I still get the same panel open when I go to instal the new upload I havent a clue what to put into each of the boxes having tried everything I can think of! its the one in Screen 3.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

KevC wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:06 pm You shouldn't need to enter any passwords or database information when updating.
That suggests the config.php file on the server is still at 0kb.
It should not be an empty file. If you upload the backed up file it should have several lines of information in it.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Well done.
Ask your hosts if they can give you a little more resources for a few hours while you do the update.
Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert »

I have 250Gb and currently using 7.1Gb I dont really want more space??

Why is a Time Out occurring?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

It's not about more server space. It's about server processing ability.
Updating means a lot of queries have to run on the database and it's just taking a bit too long.

You can try rerunning it a few times in case it gets through.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Brian Lambert wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:56 pm I have a file now with 553kb in it.
That would be 553 b(ytes) not kb
Brian Lambert wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:15 pm I have 250Gb and currently using 7.1Gb I dont really want more space??
resources in this case does not refer to space but to max_execution time (or limited memory available).

Rather than trying to find out what causes the errors at this stage, I would put back the full Backup of your board (from just before the update - that includes files and database.
And then redo the update following the instruction (to the letter) from Full Package
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert »

Thanks for the suggestion. I have use FileZilla to restore the files I downloaded just before the update, but its not working at all now! Site is / was www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk
What the server now reports is...

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: Argument 4 passed to phpbb\cache\service::__construct() must be an instance of phpbb\event\dispatcher, string given in /customers/c/e/e/modelrailwayforum.co.uk/httpd.www/phpbb/cache/service.php:75 Stack trace: #0 [internal function]: phpbb\cache\service->__construct(Object(phpbb\cache\driver\dummy), Object(phpbb\config\db), Object(phpbb\db\driver\factory), './', 'php') #1 /customers/c/e/e/modelrailwayforum.co.uk/httpd.www/vendor/symfony/dependency-injection/ContainerBuilder.php(1176): ReflectionClass->newInstanceArgs(Array) #2 /customers/c/e/e/modelrailwayforum.co.uk/httpd.www/vendor/symfony/dependency-injection/ContainerBuilder.php(634): Symfony\Component\DependencyInjection\ContainerBuilder->createService(Object(Symfony\Component\DependencyInjection\Definition), Array, true, 'cache') #3 /customers/c/e/e/modelrailwayforum.co.uk/httpd.www/vendor/symfony/dependency-injection/ContainerBuilder.php(1281): Symfony\Component\DependencyInjection\ContainerBuilder->doGet('cache', 1, Array, true) #4 in /customers/c/e/e/modelrailwayforum.co.uk/httpd.www/phpbb/cache/service.php on line 75
I dreaded trying to update the froum due to my serious lack of IT understanding especally as I had huge issues last time it was updated. One set of instructions say remove two files (the instructions from the ACP area) while another set from the main download says remove at least three or four?? It should be a really simple process and I did follow the ACP instructions to the letter, checking everthing twice before progressing! :oops:
Last edited by P_I on Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add <code> tags
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Did you also restore the database backup?
If that doesn't help, considering your issues with previous update(s). I'ld be willing to update it for you, but for that I would need the database backup + the fileset you're using.
Unfortunately I only have this evening + tomorrow morning with sufficient time.
If you want to go this way PM me, but realise that you'll need to upload a compressed complete fileset and database (the situation before you tried to update) somewhere where I can access it and I will be able to read your whole forum (I won't but it's a question of trust).
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Update/grade successful but not without pain.
I was expecting a broken 3.3.1 board but the files didn't match (in fact almost all - including the files in /vendor)
The prosilver files seemed to have quite a number of edits also.
Eventually (after a lot of 3-way file comparisons) I managed to determine that most of the files were version 3.2.4, some 3.2.11, some 3.3.1
To cut a long story short, the upgrade was a piece of cake (using PHP 7.4 as that was what the board was running on).

But after uploading the board worked fine except for the attachments which couldn't be viewed on the host - they were visible on my localhost and on a copy on my online host.
Decided to check the phpinfo on the host to see which libraries weren't loaded and noticed it was using PHP 8.
Switching to PHP 7.4 solved the issue.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”