What is the Future of phpBB?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
GanstaZ

Re: What is the Future of phpBB?

Post by GanstaZ »

Custom coding section is good enough for modifications aka core edits.
Those who want to dive into core edits, they can do it, but at the same time, they have to be aware that it's a risky task.

Can't say that rules are strict, but i wont comment on it more as everyone has their own opinion about it.

About hybrid.. Well it is not needed when front pages will be converted into controllers as anyone can override any service file/s without any core edits.
As much as i remember.. Forum/topic controller will differ a lot from current active version.. So that means that mods that could potentially be working now, will have a very small chance to work later.

Nothing stays the same.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
tvm

Post by tvm »

GanstaZ wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:08 pm
That is WHEN phpBB4 is released, and why would we not be able to adapt the mods? such as ajax injection for custom php scripts and what not.
Last edited by Mick on Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quotes.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Mick wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:30 amBut that’s the whole point,
Yes, when new converters are coded, that cited issue would be solved. I haven't missed that. But for now, unfortunately, that is the current hassle.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

No need to use full quote.

MODs era is over (i don't think that it will come back officially), but it doesn't mean that people can't use MODs or edit core code if they want to.
People have a choice to do what they want & at the same time they have to understand the risk/s that comes with core code editing.
No one said that you or anyone else can't adopt whatever you/they want. All have that freedom & custom coding section forum is for that.

I wont comment about version 4 as that number may change.
This is my opinion.. and as i see it.. some part of master or fully.. should be merged/released into/as 3.4 branch (at least updated symfony/twig are needed).
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

While I agree the MODs era probably won't come back officially, I don't see a problem with some of them being in the customization db with a disclaimer that extensions are preferred and to use them at own risk. Honestly, it would make such MODs easier to find to anyone who is brave enough to try to tamper with the core phpBB code.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
tvm

Post by tvm »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:07 pm While I agree the MODs era probably won't come back officially, I don't see a problem with some of them being in the customization db with a disclaimer that extensions are preferred and to use them at own risk. Honestly, it would make such MODs easier to find to anyone who is brave enough to try to tamper with the core phpBB code.
QFT

Also, GanstaZ, when markup quote isnt available its a hassle to filter out everything for each quote when you're answering.. But i guess you understood what i was quoting you on either way. (It is however available in QuickReply which isnt being developed anymore - i wonder why)..
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:07 pm some of them being in the customization db
Well.. Who will test & support those? Ok.. Author will give support, but someone has to do the validation.

As much as i remember about the validation system, there is no auto-validation mechanics.. In other words.. most work is done by validator/s.
I don't think that anyone wants extra work.
tvm wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:20 pm when markup quote isnt available its a hassle to filter out everything for each quote when you're answering
I agree, but at the same time if people read topics s-he already knows what/when/why.. In other words quote system like on discord is good enough.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

GanstaZ wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:28 pmWell.. Who will test & support those? Ok.. Author will give support, but someone has to do the validation.
Excellent point, and from what I heard, they can use more validators as it is. That being said, if it is brought back (and it probably won't), it should be throttled. Only users who have been here a certain amount of time being able to submit anything, and certainly should not make anything involving MODs a priority compared to other things, like extensions or styles (though that seems to be a different validation team). Nor should MODs have a guaranteed time table (ie. "well be validated within x amount of time.").

Edited for clarity. MODs should not have a time table.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

Since 3.1 core editing is not recommended.. It tells us a lot.
There are way too many differences between MODs & extensions.

If someone really like MODs.. Then they can start their MOD project & do as many extension developers do.. Develop & share.
We are starting to turn this topic into debate discussion about something that is history.. So this is my last response about mods.
halil16
Name: Halil

Post by halil16 »

I was wondering: Are there things that can be done with mods that cannot be done with extensions? I think the reason why the mods are not updated later is not that the plugins are not enough, but that the developers do not want changes.
* Hire me at fiverr for your phpBB board.
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
Contributions: #Hashtag, Elegance, Latte
tvm

Post by tvm »

halil16 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:30 pm I was wondering: Are there things that can be done with mods that cannot be done with extensions? I think the reason why the mods are not updated later is not that the plugins are not enough, but that the developers do not want changes.
The best extensions out there should already be a part of phpBB, not as extensions, but as options built in. I still dont understand how a forum with latest release in June 2022 does not have any SEO built in. (again, not talking about human-readable-links), and better quick reply, a thank you system that (everyone else has), a built in vanillaEmoji (no, using blob does not make it support emojis).

While Mod's should be for those who wants the extra, now its so lightweight that you have to search for forks of old extensions to get then to work, its hardly realiable when it says it supports 3.2 and was last modified 4 years ago, and support here says "most should work". I dont buy it. Let phpBB free! Ask for donations if you need help recruiting people and they need a few bucks, im sure many will contribute.

Advertising for the most courrupt hosting company in the world hardly makes phpBB free for all imo.

I was asked to proove my statements earlier, so let me do it this time, as I hate this comapny to my inner guts.

BlueHost, also called Endurance Group, owns also FastDomain and HostMonster - all happens (and only those) happens to be listed as advertisers here at phpBB. (refrence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance ... onal_Group)
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

halil16 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:30 pm I was wondering: Are there things that can be done with mods that cannot be done with extensions?
The answer is quite simple: little to nothing. Most things in phpBB can be adjusted via extensions if you know how to leverage events.

Anything that was a MOD won't work with the current version of phpBB nor the 2 versions before that anyways so I don't really understand what the argument for MODs is for. I'd like to know where this supposed long list of 3.1-3.3 MODs that can't be converted to extensions is at.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
tvm

Post by tvm »

DavidIQ wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:41 pm
halil16 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:30 pm I was wondering: Are there things that can be done with mods that cannot be done with extensions?
The answer is quite simple: little to nothing. Most things in phpBB can be adjusted via extensions if you know how to leverage events.

Anything that was a MOD won't work with the current version of phpBB nor the 2 versions before that anyways so I don't really understand what the argument for MODs is for. I'd like to know where this supposed long list of 3.1-3.3 MODs that can't be converted to extensions is at.
Do you want me to make an extension out of 3 lines of code?
DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

tvm wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:53 pm Do you want me to make an extension out of 3 lines of code?
Not really that hard if you use the Skeleton Extension. And nothing really prevents you from doing the changes yourself so long as you take on the possible risks.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
axe70
Name: Alessio

Post by axe70 »

Audio, video, text.
Possibility to store data into external services.
GET EASILY NOTIFICATIONS. I would like to advice about this:
viewtopic.php?p=15888476#p15888476

may you think it is NOT important. While of course, i think it is very !important.

My Display Only First Post ext has not been validated yet, even i am sure it is secure and fast as nothing could be more. It do not stopped me to make it available into github.
But yes, a way to have a db where all these extensions are available by the way, could be a good idea.
Not a forum about. A db.
It will grow folks around.
There, should be on top of who is going to use, to choose if to use or not. Validators should mainly check for security, less more.
Just my opinion, that to me, you should consider not because i like it.
But because it is the future, and it is here already ;)

[EDITED]
Do not take me too serious
Anyway i do not like Discourse

Return to “phpBB Discussion”