Looking for a place that does volunteer work

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Methen

Looking for a place that does volunteer work

Post by Methen »

Does anyone know of any places that does volunteer on stuff on updating scripts and such i am trying to find someone that will help me get that flash chat updated ?
[Dimetrodon]

Re: Looking for a place that does volunteer work

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Methen wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:50 pm Does anyone know of any places that does volunteer on stuff on updating scripts and such i am trying to find someone that will help me get that flash chat updated ?
I'm not trying to sound snobbish but I do not think you will find anybody who would do that for free.
Methen

Post by Methen »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:01 am
Methen wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:50 pm Does anyone know of any places that does volunteer on stuff on updating scripts and such i am trying to find someone that will help me get that flash chat updated ?
I'm not trying to sound snobbish but I do not think you will find anybody who would do that for free.
Do not people here often do upgrades for people for free ?
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Methen wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:20 am
[Dimetrodon] wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:01 am

Do not people here often do upgrades for people for free ?
Many do upgrades here for others for a price.

People help in support topics for free, sure, and that includes information on how to solve problems or conduct minor code changes, but that is it. You will almost never get an extension coded for free, and offering money is not a guarantee that someone would be interested in doing it. Especially when what you are offering is far too low for the work requested.
Methen

Post by Methen »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:31 am
Methen wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:20 am Do not people here often do upgrades for people for free ?
Many do upgrades here for others for a price.

People help in support topics for free, sure, and that includes information on how to solve problems or conduct minor code changes, but that is it. You will almost never get an extension coded for free, and offering money is not a guarantee that someone would be interested in doing it. Especially when what you are offering is far too low for the work requested.
Well I was not exactly asking that now was I, I was asking if any one knew of a place that did, The internet is a very big place and there are people out there that do that sort of thing, it is just a matter of finding the right person who would be willing to do so.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Methen wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:47 amWell I was not exactly asking that now was I, I was asking if any one knew of a place that did, The internet is a very big place and there are people out there that do that sort of thing, it is just a matter of finding the right person who would be willing to do so.
No, you asked a rhetorical question that asked what people do here for free, and I explained that people do not actually do upgrades for free.

You can try to google to see if there are any sites that do what you want for free, but I am telling you that the odds are not in your favor. I don't expect someone here to know of such a site, and getting angry about me pointing out that people don't give free upgrades on others behalf changes nothing.
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

upgrading old phpBB board is a lot simpler then converting something from flash to html5
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Methen wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:20 amDo not people here often do upgrades for people for free ?
I used to, a lot, then I woke up. Offering all your services for free only makes a rod for your own back.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Mannix_ wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:00 am upgrading old phpBB board is a lot simpler then converting something from flash to html5
Indeed, and there are people who charge money to upgrade people's boards, which is why I doubt someone would do this for free.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:29 pm ...
Indeed, and there are people who charge money to upgrade people's boards, which is why I doubt someone would do this for free.
I fixed/updated/graded more than half a century of boards for free - but in this case I'm not volunteering, unless the offer is one I can't refuse :lol:
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Methen wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:20 am Do not people here often do upgrades for people for free ?
For most people that may offer free services that is going to depend on the content and usage. I've done some free stuff for non profits and recently one site that had significant scientific value. The scientific one actually morphed into a nice paying gig for additional services since they were so happy with the free work. The irony was not lost on them having "thecoalman" fix their site since it dealt with fusion. :lol:
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:01 amI'm not trying to sound snobbish
You're looking at this from a perspective where only the customer wins. If anybody wants to give me login credentials (which I need to upload or test stuff) I do everything for free. :D
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Up to now I've always "volunteered" to help for free (I select the boards I want to help on). But taking the rising cost of and increased intake of coffee into account, my rate per hour will increase accordingly.

Return to “General Discussion”