Upgrading from 3.0.4? phpBB as CMS?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Shohreh

Upgrading from 3.0.4? phpBB as CMS?

Post by Shohreh »

Hello,

I have a couple of newbie questions:

1. I'm looking into upgrading an old Linux server that's running phpBB 3.0.4, with Php 7.4.30 and MariaDB 5.5.68.

Is it a simple task, or does it require expertise? Should I expect things to break if I simply upgrade phpBB and MariaDB, and export+import data?

2. Can phpBB be used on the same server to publish articles on the home page in addition to managing a user forum, as poor man's CMS?

Thank you.
Last edited by Mick on Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Upgrading from 3.0.4? phpBB as CMS?

Post by Mick »

1a. First of all the best thing to do is familiarise yourself with the Requirements for phpBB 3.3.

1b.Then read the upgrade guide section dealing with Upgrading from 3.0 to 3.3 anything you don’t understand post back.

If you follow the above to the letter you shouldn’t have any issues upgrading. Many users like to do a big upgrade like this offline then import the upgraded database from there using a local server on their pc’s, that’s a personal preference, see Knowledge Base - Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server. Following the instructions as above you will have a full backup of your files and database just in case things go wrong, also see Knowledge Base - Forum Backup Instructions.

2. phpBB is standalone and can sit in it’s own folder on the server if it’s sharing a url. Personally I know little to nothing about CMSs but I’ve no doubt there are users here that do, try searching here I’ll bet the question has been asked before. I encourage you to have a sift through the extensions forums as well as there may be something there to help.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Shohreh

Post by Shohreh »

Thanks very much.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Shohreh wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:20 pm 2. Can phpBB be used on the same server to publish articles on the home page in addition to managing a user forum, as poor man's CMS?
There is the pages extension and it is an official extension so support for it should be good going forward.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/pages/

Assuming your forum is in the root domain you'd have to set up a homepage and then adjust .htaccess file so requests for yourdoamin.com/ go to the homepage instead of index.php

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/m ... ctoryindex

If the forum is not in the root of the domain I don't if it's easily configured to handle requests for directories above the phpBB installation but it should be possible. Personally this would be preferable to me because I would just install Drupal in the domain root. It adds a little bit of work but the pages extension is a toy compared to Drupal and other CMS's.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Shohreh

Post by Shohreh »

I'll check 'em out. Thank you.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”