What is the Future of phpBB?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: What is the Future of phpBB?

Post by warmweer »

axe70 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:42 am My Display Only First Post ext has not been validated yet, even i am sure it is secure and fast as nothing could be more. It do not stopped me to make it available into github.
Nothing wrong with that as it allows people to see what you're working on.
axe70 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:42 amBut yes, a way to have a db where all these extensions are available by the way, could be a good idea.
If with "all these extensions", you mean all validated extensions, then I agree and it is set up like this already. However, if with all you're implying not validated extensions, then it's a firm NO.
axe70 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:42 amValidators should mainly check for security, less more.
If with
less more
you mean nothing else then again a firm NO. Extensions should be checked for a) functioning as intended/described, b) security, c) clean code, which includes efficiency and (in a sense also readability) of the code (those are the first things that come to mind. Of secondary importance but nonetheless also useful in certain extension, is the visual aspect of the the extension result and the language (English) used (clarity?) - although these aspects are seldom reason for denial.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Mixlight - eStriKe

Post by Mixlight - eStriKe »

I mean regarding the update process, i don't mind to have fewer update but when you receive an update at least you see the difference
To release a bunch o versions witch only inlude some security improvements is time consuming.

I belevie the loog of the default board should be updated in my opnion the board default aspect from 3.0 is pretty much the same with 3.3
Another thing that i've noticed is this rigidity to integrate new features witch in other options it comes default

How long did it take to have a reasonable sidebar integration tutorial ?
The feature to add it was possible even on 3.0 but a full tutorial on this site has come on 3.1

I saw many topics regarding a new feature let's say staff online in index for exemple ( i remember it because i saw a topic like this couple of days ago ) and the response was more or like "what's wrong with the team page"

What i'm trying to say is that regarding the support in some cases i find easily what i need other cases i need to dig a little ( for a sidebar for example -.-)
And other cases i just gave up. The attitude to the change needs to be improved .
axe70
Name: Alessio

Post by axe70 »

If with "all these extensions", you mean all validated extensions, then I agree and it is set up like this already. However, if with all you're implying not validated extensions, then it's a firm NO.
Why not to trust coders, creating a db of extensions where are all published, even if not validated, by titles and description, not into forums as it is now, where it is always possible to download the latest version?

Do you know that in some cms repository, all this is practically, after a first check about security, demanded to the code author?
And it run the most part of the internet sites.
phpBB should not close this possibility.
You want to endorse things that are NOT on top to you, and that you can clearly explain with an h1. You don't? Then you are limiting phpBB.

PS
AND please, make it easier to get phpBB notifications usernames , emails or any user info just adding a column that contain the poster uid :D
Do not take me too serious
Anyway i do not like Discourse
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Mixlight - eStriKe wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:59 pm ...
To release a bunch o versions witch only inlude some security improvements is time consuming.
Oh, good to know that any extensions you would produce may be riddled with security problems but fixing those and releasing a new version is a bit (too?) time consuming. :shock:

I daresay this topic is becoming a eye-opener. :lol:
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

axe70
Name: Alessio

Post by axe70 »

PS.
even a forum where all what it is possible to post into could be:

Topic title, the title of the extension, and a description of what it do.
A github repository link to releases that refer to the code, as unique possible part of the post content, like so
https://github.com/axew3/phpbb-display- ... t/releases

Stop.
I would like to do someday :D
You don't? Really you do not think that a simple thing like this could be great?

[EDITED]
Do not take me too serious
Anyway i do not like Discourse
Mixlight - eStriKe

Post by Mixlight - eStriKe »

warmweer wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:30 pm
Mixlight - eStriKe wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:59 pm ...
Oh, good to know that any extensions you would produce may be riddled with security problems but fixing those and releasing a new version is a bit (too?) time consuming. :shock:

I mean the board , not the extensions ...
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

It is a good idea for security holes to be closed though. Sure, I'm not an upgrade militant, but it does make sense why they would release new versions to fix problems.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:13 pm The xml files only open correctly in Internet Explorer, for some reason. A testament to when it used to dominate, I guess.
Actually I believe it was Firefox dominating at the time at least for anyone that was more technically adept but whatever the case they will open in any older browser.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:13 pm

The xml files only open correctly in Internet Explorer, for some reason. A testament to when it used to dominate, I guess.
There is an emulation mode in edge that will let you open those files :)
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

In regards to the mods vs. extensions there is great arguments for both. Extensions give you stability and they are easy to use which is important since a lot of the users of phpBB aren't very technically skilled. For those that are skilled you are of course free to modify to your hearts desire.

The downside is the loss of so many contributions when mods were prevalent. Some of this can be attributed to overall loss of interest in forum software but back in the Wild West days of phpBB you had mods for the mods that modded the mod. :) You would need a pretty unique set of circumstances where you not find something that could be used to meet your needs or just a small sample of code that does something pretty cool. Just to give you an idea of how expansive mods were back in the phpBB2 days there was a mod that allowed you to install a bot using the A.L.I.C.E engine that could actually carry on a half decent conversation in a topic.

Today I wouldn't expect such a large mod like that with or without official mod support. Today I think the largest issue is smaller mods that may just change a few lines are not easily found and will never go through the process of extension validation. They are in no mans land.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

warmweer wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:30 pm Oh, good to know that any extensions you would produce may be riddled with security problems but fixing those and releasing a new version is a bit (too?) time consuming. :shock:

The point I would make is back in the mod days it would be brought up in the mod topic and if the author was active they would just fix it in the download. Bug fixes and other things happened rapidly back then. I once reported an inqonsential bug in core files that I found adding a custom mod that utilized some code that wasn't being used in stock phpBB. Acydburn happened to be online and it was fixed in core literally in about 5 minutes.

[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

thecoalman wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:28 amActually I believe it was Firefox dominating at the time at least for anyone that was more technically adept but whatever the case they will open in any older browser.
Thanks, but the MOD I downloaded was from 2009, and from what I just read, Internet Explorer had a 62% market-share in 2010, so it did dominate during that time, even though it was waning.
Mannix_ wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:37 amThere is an emulation mode in edge that will let you open those files :)
Thanks.
Last edited by [Dimetrodon] on Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Honestly, I think any reasonable future would be to get phpBB4 out without Chameleon instead of moving onto a 3.4.x branch after 3.3.9, even if the first version of phpBB4 is light when it comes to new features.

It makes no sense to shelve phpBB4 just because of a new style that many would change anyway.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
tvm

Post by tvm »

Well, its seems like theres no one here to change their minds. They said they needed devs, and they wouldnt work for free, i offered to start up a fund of 50k usd but was turned down more or less (iow: no reply). I guess I'll keep coding myself, doing most of the work in seperate tables and storing the code needed when an update replaces it, so that im not messing with any exisiting tables that may fail an upgrade (there's been plenty of that.) also Im still wondering why Endurance group still are the only sponsors of the site aka the owner of (ie: hostgator, bluehost, godaddy, fastdomain and hostmonster)
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

tvm wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:56 am ...
I guess I'll keep coding myself, doing most of the work in seperate tables and storing the code needed when an update replaces it, so that im not messing with any exisiting tables that may fail an upgrade (there's been plenty of that.)
So, if I understand this correctly: you're going to fork phpBB for yourself

Return to “phpBB Discussion”